PDA

View Full Version : National housing boom has come to an end

Toms-SC
06-27-2008, 01:59 PM
National housing boom has come to an end

Mario Toneguzzi
Canwest News Service

Evidence of the national downturn is evident in year-over-year price growth for existing homes in Canada's major markets, which fell to only 1.1 per cent in May, down from 8.6 per cent just four months earlier, the report said.

Canada's housing boom has come to an end and that is no more evident than in Alberta - with prices continuing to fall this year by eight to 10 per cent from their peak, says a national real-estate report.

The report released Thursday by TD Economics says "the long-awaited end of the Canadian housing boom has occurred, reflecting more moderate demand and increased supply of properties for sale" and it is a trend that is broadly based "but it has been particularly sharp in some of the markets that had experienced the most dramatic price growth."

Evidence of the national downturn is evident in year-over-year price growth for existing homes in Canada's major markets, which fell to only 1.1 per cent in May, down from 8.6 per cent just four months earlier, the report said.

"The combination of significantly higher listings . . . and weaker demand, due to the past erosion in affordability, are leading to declining sales and softer price performance across the country, particularly in the West," said the report authored by Craig Alexander, vice-president and deputy chief economist, and Pascal Gauthier, economist, of the TD Bank Financial Group.

Home prices in the formerly red-hot markets in Calgary and Edmonton performed worse than the slowing national average, falling below levels reached one year ago in April and May.

"Alberta will have further weakness in the near term, as Calgary and Edmonton will likely see prices continue to fall for another three or four quarters, dropping eight per cent to 10 per cent from their peak, after which prices should stabilize and start rising at a low single-digit pace," the report said.

National sales are likely to continue to decline in the coming quarters and price growth will slip to two per cent on a countrywide average basis in 2008 and rise only to 3.5 per cent in 2009.

Most markets will see low to mid single-digit gains, but Saskatchewan and Manitoba will continue to post double-digit gains in the near term followed by a significant cooling in 2009, "with the risk of a mild price correction in the major cities that have recently experienced extraordinary price growth."

The report noted several caveats that distinguish the Canadian housing decline with that in the U.S.

"It should be stressed that the rise in listings does not reflect homeowners of principal dwellings desperate to sell. . . . In Canada, speculators may be quickly dumping properties on the market to get out while the times are good, but individuals that have a principal dwelling are not under financial duress."

Equally, the report said, more conservative Canadian lending practices mean the market is not tainted by the excesses that have marked America's sub-prime crisis, and which have caused the worst housing correction since the Great Depression.

And while year-to-date sales have fallen by 12.5 per cent, sales are only returning to levels typically experienced in the three year (2004-2006) prior to the 2007 sales boom, the report said.

Nevertheless, "sales are also weaker in other parts of the country, with British Columbia and Ontario sales down by more than 10 per cent."

"Resale activity in Vancouver is tracking significantly below last year's levels and we expect sales for 2008 as a whole to end up almost 20 per cent lower than 2007. Toronto is expected to experience 10-per-cent lower sales."

Ontario and Quebec homes, which have appreciated at a steady six to seven per cent rate over the last three years, will now only appreciate at half that pace through 2008 and 2009.

Even Saskatchewan won't remain unscathed, the report predicts. While price gains have mirrored those in Alberta as the province's potash, uranium and agriculture industries have thrived, the report forecasts only two to three per cent price growth in 2009, with the risk of a mild price correction.

http://www.househunting.ca/buying-homes/story.html?id=caf6e11c-bba4-48cd-bde0-cf28075ec652

ws_on99
06-27-2008, 04:32 PM
house price has already fell by 10%....most of the house listed on MLS is 10% below their assessment value.....

speaking about that, nowadays when u walked into a new SFH showhome (~400k-450kish), most of them r offering some "incentives" e.g. giving u 40K free upgrades instead of lowering their price I guess it'd costs less for them to upgrade u with the hardwood floor/9" ceiling...cuz they already marked up the price anyways....

some Condo's over the Panorama area are even more aggressive, they mentioned a 10% discount as soon as we walked in the door...while Condos in the DT area just offered certain "incentives"...e.g. if u buy the "colors" (same builder as the chocolate, just couple blocks away), they will give away a SMART vehicle plus Talisman membership etc...or u get 25k off...

will be interesting to see what's gonna happen in 3 or 4 mnths....there'll probably be 10-15% decreasing in price towards the end of the year...

civic_rida
06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Good to know im currently lookin for a condo.
Any good deals @ chocolate?

Darkane
06-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Lol. They forgot to Mention Fort McMurray :D

Market is just blazing still! April average home here was 689k! :eek:

TomK
06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
nowadays when u walked into a new showhome, most of them r offering some "incentives" e.g. giving u 40K free upgrades instead of lowering their price I guess it'd costs less for them to upgrade u with the hardwood floor/9" ceiling...cuz they already marked up the price anyways....

Real Estate is "all about the comps".

If a builder sells 10 identical houses on one block for $500K each and then sells the 11th for $450K the other 10 owners will think they just lost $50K each.

But if the builder throws in $50K worth of freebies on the last house, then the sale price is still recorded at $500K and everyone continues to not want to murder the builder.

Its just a way for the builders to reduce prices without being seen to reduce prices.

ws_on99
06-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Good to know im currently lookin for a condo.
Any good deals @ chocolate?

the same builder is working on another project "colors" and it's just 2 blocks away from Chocolate.....their starting price for a 2 bedroom is from High 300K - Mid 400K ... I don't rly like their design tho cuz the layout shows that one of the room is w/o windows.....(it's not a den...it's supposed to be a room...cuz there's a closet)

There's another building across Colors called "Unions square", price wise is about 100K more than Colors.....I guess they have priced their house to compete with the WaterFront (the one by eau claire)..at least that's what the salesperson said, he bascially trying to persuade me that D/T buildings views r better than river views....haha....well if we r in Tor...then maybe....

but IMO, the price is still too high for Condo in that area...I can probably look for the West End ones.... or even a SFH (altho not apple to apple comparsion)...also I don't like that area cuz Mustard Seed is just 2 blocks away....I don't feel safe at all walking across the bridge.....

broken_legs
06-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Equally, the report said, more conservative Canadian lending practices mean the market is not tainted by the excesses that have marked America's sub-prime crisis, and which have caused the worst housing correction since the Great Depression.

More conservative? Whats more conservative than a 40 year mortgage?:nut:

88jbody
07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
they would let people run up a larger debt vs income there, not talking about the length of the term.

if prices drop another 10% I could probably actually afford to buy a place next summer

analbumcover
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
oh nos 10%.. LOL

a home that was worth $200,000 5 years ago is now worth upwards $400,000

i dont think a 10% decrease is an end to the boom

SilverRex
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
oh nos 10%.. LOL

a home that was worth $200,000 5 years ago is now worth upwards $400,000

i dont think a 10% decrease is an end to the boom

dont forget though, for those who bought at 400k, 10% would wipe out a good chunk if not all of their equity. And can you i magine the 30% or so people who did 0% 40 year mortgages?, really makes them think if they should get out or not.

The scary thing would be, if the market were to recover, then it would be alright, but if it does decline another 10-15% that would be huge forcing desperate sales, foreclosures, thats when shit hits the fan.

88jbody
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
yeah it would suck spending 400k, with 0 down then now 1 year latter your house is worth 370,000 and you owe 399

but if they can afford the payments then it is not an issue, it will just take longer to get their money back out of it, so thay have to wait 3 years fro the value to hit 400 again, so what? the people this really sucks for is people who bought with the plans to sell for profit