PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from gas stations with one nozzel for 3 grades of fuel.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-27-2008, 08:00 PM
so i was thinking about this today during work, and i came across this on another website.

When u go to a gas station with a pump that offers the 3 product on one nozzle,even if you press premium the calibration chamber inside the pump contains close to 8 liters of gas......so regardless of what you choose you get for the first 7-8 liters what the previous user put in is vehicle.....95 % of time is regular.....but the guy after you will get your premium fuel that you paid for and you didn't get it....

alot of people may know this already but i found it as a interesting fact regardless.

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Mohawk 94 is always a seperate pump but its hard to find pumps that are split up based on octane.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-27-2008, 08:10 PM
alot of shell stations do, but i'm not sure about others.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
. . . the calibration chamber inside the pump contains close to 8 liters of gas....
Source?

ryanallan
06-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Source?
+1

THE GOVERNATOR
06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Source?

the guy who posted it originally, drives a fuel delivery truck/repairs the fuel pumps.

SJW
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes because truck drivers are known for their intelligence.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SJW

no but, you must have some sort of intelligence to service/repair a fuel pump i imagine.

badatusrnames
06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Uncalled for - that's a stereotype.

Not that I drive a truck, I'm too smart for that.

LadyLuck
06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
so basically avoid 99% of the pumps in calgary then, yes?

I cant remember the last time ive seen 3 separate nozzles

SJW
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
This story is utter horseshit. All gas stations are heavily regulated by the government and certified as measuring correctly. Now a small amount of non-premium sure but not 7-8 litres

max_boost
06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
My car would be so fucked if that were true. It's 91 min. so if I got 7-8L of 87 or 89, then "boom, outta here" :eek:

djayz
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
:bullshit:

If this were true it would've been brought up along time ago.

SJW
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
My bike is only 15 litres. So what you are saying is half my tank is shit gas? If it were shit gas then my bike would run like Max_boosts.

Perhaps your truck driver gas pump fixin buddy should go visit leah williams doherty and expose these people...............:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

NewLextasy
06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
even if it is 7 liters thats not much when filling a 40-60 liter tank

brown_guy
06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
humm..we should send this to myth busters :D

vengie
06-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by SJW

you my friend are an idiot... i myself drive a truck, and yes it is short term, im starting my social sciences course at u-vic in the fall... oh wait school?! what! im a truck driver, im not intelligent... how the hell did this happen :banghead:

p.s go learn to drive a full size tractor and trailer and let me know just how easy it is... :thumbsup:

djayz
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by brown_guy
humm..we should send this to myth busters :D

They wouldn't take it because its common sense.

analbumcover
06-27-2008, 09:44 PM
its not a tumor

lilmira
06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
You just have to wait till someone buys premium then fill up yours right after;)

SJW
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by vengie

you my friend are an idiot... i myself drive a truck, and yes it is short term, im starting my social sciences course at u-vic in the fall... oh wait school?! what! im a truck driver, im not intelligent... how the hell did this happen :banghead:

p.s go learn to drive a full size tractor and trailer and let me know just how easy it is... :thumbsup:

Sorry I meant 99% of truck drivers.
But good luck with the schooling.

vengie
06-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by SJW

Sorry I meant 99% of truck drivers.
But good luck with the schooling.

again, you would be suprised, yes there are some retarded drivers, but a good 70% of them are real down to earth guys who are actually quite intelligent.
they only get into trucking because the money is instant and alot of them make over 100k a year (long haul drivers)...

and thankyou i appreciate it

Antonito
06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR

the guy who posted it originally, drives a fuel delivery truck/repairs the fuel pumps.

So some guy who says he's a fuel driver said this on another forum, and we should believe it because....

95teetee
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My car would be so fucked if that were true. It's 91 min. so if I got 7-8L of 87 or 89, then "boom, outta here" :eek: likewise (although I've always wondered how I can be sure they're giving me what I need:poosie: )

(oh- and as far as "boom-outta here" goes-:rofl: :rofl: )

S4maniac
06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Okay, so I'll counter (without sources) that I've read in the bike circles, that there is less than .5 of a litre in a pipe when a pump is closed. they return to 0 or level.

When you finish pumping. Shut off the pump. Squeeze off the handle. What comes out? Less than a fart in the wind.

Bikers believe the diff is minimal ... and we should tell if we pull 20 ltrs for a full tank.

mpl
06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
You just have to wait till someone buys premium then fill up yours right after;)
and get a 8L container to fill with 87 right after..

Godfuader
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Aren't most Petro Canada stations triple or at least double nozzled?

Toms-SC
06-28-2008, 12:38 AM
bullshit

heavyD
06-28-2008, 12:49 AM
There may be some volume left in the line from the last fill but it will be a pretty small amount not even close to a half liter.

mo_money2supe
06-28-2008, 01:34 AM
If there is indeed "old" gasoline sitting in a fuel line from a previous fill up, there would only be a little more than 2L from my calculations. Specifically,

V = (pi/4)*(D^2)*L (Where V=volume, D=diameter of hose=~3cm, L=length of hose=~3m)
V = [(pi/4)*(0.03m^2)*(3m)] * [(1000L)/(1m^3)]
V = 2.12 L

Of course, this value is only assuming that part of the fuel left over in the line doesn't get "released" back into the pump once the fuelling stops.

Nonetheless, if an OEM car has been so finely tuned to max out on a specific octane level, it would mean the recommended grade is inaccurate because it did not take into account a factor of safety. Now, if the car was tuned after-market on the other hand to max out on a specific grade, I believe the driver and/or tuner should already know the risks associated with the said tuning. Perhaps that driver/tuner should have considered tuning with 94 octane to take advantage of the individual fuel line availability at Husky/Mohawk stations instead.

2EFNFAST
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Antonito

So some guy who says he's a fuel driver said this on another forum, and we should believe it because....

I'm god :)

EIT07
06-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I'm god :)

and we believe god?

Moe Man
06-28-2008, 11:28 AM
i always thought about that...... but i figured that gas pumps are more modern that this would not occur.

old&slow
06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
mythbusters should do a segment...

teg_boya
06-28-2008, 12:56 PM
ya i highly suspect that the pump would release suction and all the gas in the line would be released back into its holding tank underground. I am sure that not all of the gasoline gets out of the tube and that there would be a bit of regular left behind after a fill but not a significant amount.

tabouli
06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
This is retarded. I can't believe how much shit gets posted up here as "fact".
What's worse is that this could go on for 10 pages.

The actual number is between 1/4 and 1/2 a litre. Anyone that says different is wrong. I am right. My source is someone who owns 4 gas stations and just as many cars. He would know more about it than a truck driver, or 99.99% of the users here. Assuming it's 7-8 litres makes you a gullible idiot. Jesus .... turbo'd rides would be detonating all over the city as they left the pump if that were true :rolleyes:

inline6turbo
06-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Dumbest thread i've read in a lonngg time :thumbsdow

sillysod
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow... Okay I took the Measurement Canada course for the Weights and Measures accreditation and have experience with gas pumps.

Only what ever gas may be in the hose is going to be from the last customers purchase.... And it isn't going to be much maybe 2 liters. The switching valve is actually right at the pump not in the ground by the tanks.

Bigger concern is why the pumps are calibrated to 15C when the fuel is usually well below 10C... even in the summer due to the depth of the tanks. This temp was decided on back in the days when the UFA's used to have the tanks above ground and gravity fed..... You never get near what you pay for.... but that's Measurement Canada for you!

pyroza
06-28-2008, 08:25 PM
What a stupid thread :thumbsdow

ZorroAMG
06-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Max...your car would run fine on 89 and even 87 wouldn't kill it....that being said I'd never put less than 91 in even my relic lol!

If your car was FI, that would be a different story but an NA V8 would be fine...

old&slow
06-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pyroza
What a stupid thread :thumbsdow

another 08 with another useless remark....

kevie88
06-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by old&slow

another 08 with another useless remark....

Agreed, this is something I've wondered about for a long time. Good info about the weights and measurements stuff.

old&slow
06-29-2008, 06:44 AM
^the 15 degree thing is something I've known for a long time too. I don't know why that hasn't been changed. Especially nowadays!

bashir26
06-29-2008, 11:24 AM
So if the calibration was changed to 10C we would get more oil for the same price? how much more are we talking about 2L-5L?

This thread is not stupid, were learning something :thumbsup:

rc2002
06-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Max...your car would run fine on 89 and even 87 wouldn't kill it....that being said I'd never put less than 91 in even my relic lol!

If your car was FI, that would be a different story but an NA V8 would be fine...

Yup 87 would have less performance, but would still work (at reduced performance). The ECU will be smart enough to pull timing if you ever did put in less than 91 octane.

pyroza
06-30-2008, 01:13 AM
I wasn't referring to the entire thread, but more the original post

alloroc
06-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by pyroza
I wasn't referring to the entire thread, but more the original post

If you are so intelligent.

Please enlighten us.

Exactly how many litres of the previous user's fuel end up being pumped into our cars.

What is the exact amount of fuel loss or gain at an actual fuel temperature of 10°C and 20°C if the pumps have been calibrated at 15°C?

What is the average temperature of underground fuel in Calgary in summer and winter?

Please keep the units in metric or in Canadian Gallons as most of us on beyond are from Calgary, and you are obviously superior so the conversions should be easy for you.

Thanks.

crazedmodder
06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

If you are so intelligent.

Please enlighten us.

Exactly how many litres of the previous user's fuel end up being pumped into our cars.

What is the exact amount of fuel loss or gain at an actual fuel temperature of 10°C and 20°C if the pumps have been calibrated at 15°C?

What is the average temperature of underground fuel in Calgary in summer and winter?

Please keep the units in metric or in Canadian Gallons as most of us on beyond are from Calgary, and you are obviously superior so the conversions should be easy for you.

Thanks.

And how fucking stupid are you on a scale of 1 to 1? No seriously. . . how stupid? The original post only mentioned only that 7-8L of the previous type of fuel is pumped into your vehicle when you put gas at pumps that have multiple grades and one nozzle. Now go back and read the original post, go ahead, read it, where do you see anything about the fuel loss or gain dependant on temperature? Where does the op mention anything about temperature at all? What, you can't see it? Well that's because you're too busy with your head up your ass that you can't read the fucking post to realize that the op doesn't say shit about that stuff.

By the way, it was sillysod that mentioned it, not some random guy who delivers fuel and repairs gas machines on some random forum. Sillysod's post was informative, op's was pretty bs. Now there's no saying for sure that sillysod is telling the truth, but I have a much easier time not believing that I put 8L of diesel into my car rather than 2L or less.

Being super-cereal here, I don't understand what the hell is wrong with you guys. 03s and 04s acting worse than 08s. Maybe wait until 10 before trying to assert yourself as a man. You don't seem like a dick in your other posts. Bad day kiddo?

Oh, sillysod, isn't fuel more dense when it's cooler, meaning you get more fuel for your $ if it's colder?

Supa Dexta
06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
wtf is your problem? you tried to own me in that other thread too and I handed your ass back to you. Now reach around a little further past your ass and change your tampon you moody bitch.

silviafreek89
06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Oil is a touchy subject :barf:
I choose to believe that we aren't getting COMPLETELY fucked when purchasing our gasoline but who knows these days.

I even thought about this thread when I needed to fill up in Banff, only one hose and I thought to myself "shiiit, I might get a little bit of shitty gas" ... but I don't think the 7-8l guess-timate is accurate, the 1/2-2l sounds more appropriate considering the length of the hose and the fact that the switchy thingy for fuel grades is built into the pump and not below ground!! (Worked at a gas station many years ago and watched them dis-assemble the dam thing).

Anywho, this subject will be useless by 2025 when everyone's driving their Prius v6.0 accross town lol....

arian_ma
06-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Yup 87 would have less performance, but would still work (at reduced performance). The ECU will be smart enough to pull timing if you ever did put in less than 91 octane.
So, just outta curiosity, is this sort of how it works?
- ECU detects knock
- pulls timing to reduce knock

What happened before without the 'smart' ECU's then? Why would your engine blow? Because of the mad knock doing reverse work?

bspot
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Bigger concern is why the pumps are calibrated to 15C when the fuel is usually well below 10C... even in the summer due to the depth of the tanks. This temp was decided on back in the days when the UFA's used to have the tanks above ground and gravity fed..... You never get near what you pay for.... but that's Measurement Canada for you!

Isn't that better for the customer?

If you buy a litre of gas at 15C and cool it down to 10C then it's less than a litre.

So if the pump spits out one litre of gas that it assumes is 15C, but it's actually 10C, and then you warm it up to 15C, it's more than a litre so you got some free gas, no?

16hypen3sp
09-24-2014, 10:50 PM
BUMP!

As a motorcyclist, I have always wondered about how much shit fuel I am putting in my tank. I try and make an effort to get at least 12l into my 1000RR when I do a fill up. Pretty much puts me at a pump when my fuel light comes on.

I did a little research into the subject... not as bad as I thought.

“The hose and dispensing nozzle are always full of fuel,” Shell says, adding that the residual volume in the hose from the last use depends on the diameter and length of the hose but is commonly about half a litre.

The only time such a small quantity would be of concern would be when filling a very small tank, such as a motorcycle.

Shell says that, as long as the premium purchase is more than 10 litres, the total sale will be “on-spec for octane and meet the 91 AKI standard.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/am-i-getting-hosed-by-regular-at-the-pump/article14041436/

Star1995
09-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Now I wonder what gas I just put in my lawn mower, was it good or bad?

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Seth1968
09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I ran premium in my weed wacker simply because that is what I had kicking around... it kept stalling on me :banghead:

Went and got some regular, and it ran like a... well it ran like a weed wacker

To some, Octane is very serious matter. To most, higher octane is a cleaner and better running engine:rofl:

Further to that myth, is after the winter season, "Put fresh gas in it". The thing is, the molecules in gasoline that make things "go boom", take decades to become inert.

mr2mike
09-25-2014, 08:10 AM
To some octane is very serious as in you put a lesser quality and your car will knock.
This will only be for highly tuned motors though. I got a crap batch of gas once and my car bucked and sputtered like crazy. Took a week and a lot of slow kms to get rid of it.
Those octane boosters don't work.

I use premium in my lawn mower jerry can only because I know the octane will flash off over time and lessen. I guess in my head, it will increase how long the gas is good enough for a lawn mower.

spikerS
09-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

To some, Octane is very serious matter. To most, higher octane is a cleaner and better running engine:rofl:

Further to that myth, is after the winter season, "Put fresh gas in it". The thing is, the molecules in gasoline that make things "go boom", take decades to become inert.

I am not so sure about decades. I know in my lawn mower with it's vented cap, if the gas in it sits for more than about 5 months, it won't start.

If I mix in some "fresh" gas from the sealed jerry can, it will fire back up after a bit of priming.

Aleks
09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Wonder why we don't have 85 in Calgary.

http://theautorules.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/HPIM2444-720x500.jpg

rage2
09-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Wonder why we don't have 85 in Calgary.

http://theautorules.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/HPIM2444-720x500.jpg
Because we're not at 6000ft elevation.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
The thing is, the molecules in gasoline that make things "go boom", take decades to become inert.
Uh, yeah, after decades you'll still have something that will "go boom" but it wont' be anything close to the original composition.

Remember, gasoline is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons of varying chain lengths. The lighter ends (shorter chains) will flash off pretty easily, and the heavier stuff won't at "normal" temperatures.
This isn't theoretical either, while you are filling your tank, it's very easy to see the plume of vapours from around the nozzle. Those are the shorter chain hydrocarbons.
Anything from Heptane and shorter will flash off pretty easily at normal temperatures.

spikerS
09-25-2014, 08:32 AM
my truck specifically says in the manual and on the filler not to use E85

Mibz
09-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
my truck specifically says in the manual and on the filler not to use E85 E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas.
85 octane is 90+% gas which is rated at 85 octane.

Fucking '08s

And my bike takes regular, so fuck all the people who fill my hose with premium and make my bike run poorly.

Seth1968
09-25-2014, 08:38 AM
A 60' X 120' lot.

Mowed and trimmed once a week.

Both the mower and trimmer run like a champ when properly primed.

Gas used? Sat in my shed all winter.

That's occurred for about 12 years.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Certainly some motors are more finicky than otehrs. A lot of yard equiment can run on nearly anything.

As for the E85 thing, part of the reason is that Ethanol is very agressive at eating away some plastics and rubbers. A vehicle designed to use that fuel has different seals in the pump and other places.

The tune of the engine also needs to take the different fuels into account.

spikerS
09-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas.

Fucking '08s

And my bike takes regular, so fuck all the people who fill my hose with premium and make my bike run poorly.

fuck you old man. Besides, I think I am an '06 :rofl:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/69369564.jpg

Mibz
09-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
Besides, I think I am an '06 :rofl: Oh shit, you are.

https://uwaterloo.ca/off-campus-housing/sites/ca.off-campus-housing/files/uploads/images/stepbrothers-did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

Aleks
09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Because we're not at 6000ft elevation.

I've read 4000ft is the point where you could get away with it.

Originally posted by Mibz
E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas.

That's right. Most 87 gas here now is E10. To get pure gas you need Shell 91.

Anyone know if there is pure 87 gas anywhere in Calgary?

Tik-Tok
09-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

That's right. Most 87 gas here now is E10. To get pure gas you need Shell 91.

Anyone know if there is pure 87 gas anywhere in Calgary?

They don't exist anymore, thanks to a law mandating an average of 5% ethanol in all gasoline. That's why with Shell (and others as well) there's 10% in regular, and 0% in premium. Although, I think non-road use gas might not require it, like farm, or marina gas.

Ethanol is win-win for gas producers. It's cheaper to make, and cuts your fuel economy down, so you're back at the pump more often.