PDA

View Full Version : Ignition coil shot...safe to drive?

tm.88
06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I feel like a complete idiot asking this however...

For the first time in over a year of owning my car i decided to stick regular fuel in my car.
And about 3 hours of driving later im sputtering. Im 99% sure its the ignition coil as they are very common to go on Mk4 jettas.
I think it is safe to drive for a short time on 3 of 4 cylinders however i wanted to double check.....
any advice?

CelicaST-162
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I would NOT drive it, you can risk further damage to other compenents. A misfire shortens the life of a headgasket super QUICK. Your cats will over heat due to the unburnt fuel getting burnt in the cat, that can destroy a cat as well.

Mibz
06-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Somebody explain to me how different fuel has anything to do with an intermittent coil?

tm.88
06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
it has nothing to do with it, i found it ironic how the day i decide to cheap out my car teaches me a lesson....
Explained well enough for you?

SOAB
06-28-2008, 09:25 AM
dude, an ignition coil for your car is like $60 brand new. just replace it.

revelations
06-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Its safe to drive.... to the nearest garage!

VetteRacin
06-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Its safe to drive.... to the nearest garage!

yup, and make sure ti get an oil change done too, all that unburnt fuel going into the cylinder thats not firing will end up in the oil pan

Supa Dexta
06-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Unplug that injector and have at it. Hell I put 25k on a civic on 3 cylinders. My nissan had a cop die a month ago, unplug the injector so it doesn't wash the cylinder and theres no problem.. No power so go easy, but you'll be fine.

06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
or maybe you got some shit fuel and it has nothing to do with a coil

teg_boya
06-28-2008, 10:22 AM
where did you get the gas from? and what was the octane?

Supa Dexta
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
You can pin point it very easily if its the coil. Pay attention this will be like the coin under the cup game:

Unplug the caps/boots one by one, and see if one doesn't make it run any worse (Because it will only run on 2cyl if you pull another good one besides a bad one). Find the one thats bad by pulling it and not seeing any change in idle, then remove another one, put the bad one in that cylinder to see if it follows the coil, or was another issue with that other specific cylinder (injector, internal..etc) If it follows that coil, remove the injector to whatever cylinder it is now in.

tm.88
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
O i almost guarantee its the coil, every thing that other VW owners have said happens has happened.
I pumped the gas at a Petro in westhills and it was 89.

When "investigating" one of the coils and boot was sort of popped out on cyl # 2 so i pushed it back in and it stayed but still runs bad. My guess is it is #2 then. When unplugging the Fuel for cyl # 2 the car runs the exact same no worse, no better.

As for getting the part i called around and it doesnt sound like i can get one until Tuesday. Im a realtor and need to drive around all weekend....so should i just unplug #2 until Tuesday?

89s1
06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
If it were my car I would remove both camshafts and grind the lobes off of them for that particular cylinder with a bench grinder.

just to be safe. :nut:

SOAB
06-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by tm.88
O i almost guarantee its the coil, every thing that other VW owners have said happens has happened.
I pumped the gas at a Petro in westhills and it was 89.

When "investigating" one of the coils and boot was sort of popped out on cyl # 2 so i pushed it back in and it stayed but still runs bad. My guess is it is #2 then. When unplugging the Fuel for cyl # 2 the car runs the exact same no worse, no better.

As for getting the part i called around and it doesnt sound like i can get one until Tuesday. Im a realtor and need to drive around all weekend....so should i just unplug #2 until Tuesday?

what kind of motor you got in your car? if it's a 1.8t, than I got it here at work for $55 plus tax. south centre fine cars.