PDA

View Full Version : First time out using a reflector and...

Bukka
06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
...doing this type of organized portraiture. Most of my past stuff has been just with random encounters on the street.
I was looking to see if anyone has any tips in reguards what to look for with the models poses, and how to light properly using the reflector and such.

Here are a few of the shots.
I think the hardest thing, is getting the expressions you want out of the model...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2620108153_14d62aaaef.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2619928461_8cf0baa197.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2620752824_f06d4a7ae0.jpg

ZorroAMG
06-29-2008, 03:28 PM
That's the model/actor's job to give you what you want, connect with the camera and express truthfully in order to really create a great shot. Try professional models, offering time for cd etc, they all love adding new shots to their portfolio.

Nothing wrong with the "look" of the model you used, she's just very 1-dimensional, it seems.

Your shots are pretty great, man! :thumbsup:

If you feel like shooting dudes for your portfolio/experience, I'd be happy to model.

syeve
06-30-2008, 12:53 PM
^^^werd, nice shots. :thumbsup:

qrankz
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Good shots. The girl just needs to be more comfortable maybe? You can chit chat with her and make conversation to help her feel at ease.

Bukka
07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
The girl was more than comfortable, she was pretty, much down for every, and any pose I could think of...her facial expressions just weren't at the same level.

D'z Nutz
07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Not a bad job for your first time. You may want to consider aiming the reflector higher up so it lights up her face a bit more. You're aiming it too low and it's drawing attention towards her chest, arms and shoulders.

It won't take you long to figure out that a good model is more than someone who just looks pretty in front of the camera; being a good model is a lot harder than it looks.

If you're interested in more of these shoots and want to learn a bit more, you may want to join us on our Defrost (http://www.defrost.ca) shoots. You can pick up some pointers and get ideas from other photogs, learn how some of the lighting works and try different things. We're organizing another shoot that I'm hoping to do sometime this month. We have quite a few Beyond members who take part too.

Some photos, including behind the scenes:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/defrost/pool/tags/models/

Bukka
07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
thanks man, I still don't have a reflector holder to set the lights where I want them..I had to get some dude to hold it, and he was kind of hard to direct on the light, but I'll be sure to keep the tips in mind :)

The defrost shoot things sound pretty cool, Mind PMing me with a little more info?

Gibson
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Is that Defrost something anyone can join? I would be interested in coming if I could make it down.

ExtraSlow
07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Your model is clearly trying very hard to stand still and to hold a certain look. You and her would be more successful if you kept her moving, talking, laughing. The shots will come out more natural looking. If you find you are too busy messing with your camera to talk to her, bring someone else along.

I assume you are using digital, and if so, you can take a thousand pictures in a day with no problem, and then extract the three or four that turned out nicely.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bukka
The defrost shoot things sound pretty cool, Mind PMing me with a little more info?

Originally posted by Gibson
Is that Defrost something anyone can join? I would be interested in coming if I could make it down.

Absolutely. Anyone who is interested in participating is welcomed to join as long as you're serious about it (ie: want to learn a few things, or just try it out to see if you like it). If you guys, or anyone else, is interested, PM me your contact info and any questions you may have. These are usually good opportunities for new photogs to give studio/model photography a try because you get access to lighting equipment and there are experienced people to show you how it works.

Just don't do this:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
take a thousand pictures in a day with no problem, and then extract the three or four that turned out nicely.
Cause you're only embarrassing yourself.

Melinda
07-04-2008, 12:04 AM
The photos really aren't bad. Definately a good job, especially for a first try!

I can't really focus on the quality of the photo too well though, those piercings in her face are REALLY distracting. I can understand if she's a paying client or something, then you have no real control over things, but as potential portfolio material, she probably isn't the best choice to showcase your work. Pretty girl, but her 'fashion' choices hurt the photo, in my honest opinion.

ExtraSlow
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I wasn't really clear. Don't just go and take a thousand pics randomly, but do feel free to experiment with different lighting, angles, poses etc, especially while you are learning. Then when you are done, look through the pics you have taken, which could very well be a thousand, and see what worked and what didn't, then THINK about how you achieved that effect.
This is a good way to learn what works and what doesn't. As a beginner, you can't expect to take a handful of pics and have most of them turn out really nice.
The important thing is to use your brain both when taking the picture and when viewing it later. this way you'll become a better photographer.

MrSector9
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
in all honesty that is how I learned most of the little I know about the different settings and such.

then again I started off using full manual since I wanted to be able to control what I wanted and not rely on something processing what in theory it "should" look like.

now I am starting to use more flash/flashes to get other things to look how I want and it is frusterating in a sense but feels great when you get it right.

also I keep every photo I take.. even if it is blurry or a shot of the ground or sky. I find it hels that even if there is something insignificant in the photo if there is weird lighting or a neat effect I can check to see what the camera was on to produce it and such.

read books and practice :)

your silohutte pics and stuff you have been taking are kickass so I imagine with more practice you will have some great stuff

Gibson
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Out of curiosity, is your name Jeff Shimano?

lamp_shade_2000
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Bukka's name is Josh, he does shoot with jeff quite often though.

Gibson
08-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah I was wondering, I have a mutual friend with Jeff and I stumbled across a picture of the girl in the OP in one of his albums.