PDA

View Full Version : Auto repair

kawaii
06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Alright so I have a few questions...I want to start a career in automotive body repair, thing is I am a bit bit colour blind, i cant tell the difference between pearl white and frost white,snow white....they all look the same. Anyways point is that I dont know if that will inhibit my chances of getting a job or getting into the program at SAIT. I know reputation and skill is more important but not being able to see the difference in whites can end up disasterous.
Keros (for those of you that are on the SM forums) my boyfriend knows this firsthand, the shop that he took his supra too painted his car roof frost white, when his car is pearl, I cant tell but everyone else can. Hence why Im hesitant to get into it, screwing up someones pride and joy isnt really on my to do list. So will being slightly colour blind inhibit me totally? thanks for the imput!!!
-Kawaii. :)

TomcoPDR
06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't think so, all depends on what you look like. Got a pic?

Crymson
06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Have you been tested before? I don't think genetic colour blindness works that way.

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/ishihara.html

It's like tone deafness -- most people who claim to be, are simply untrained.

I say go for it, do what you like. If it's what you want to do, you'll find ways to cope.

oh, and tom ... way to class it up :)

kawaii
06-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
I don't think so, all depends on what you look like. Got a pic?

What the hell does that have to do with it? Looks dont matter on how well you can repair a screwed up fender, or rockchips, seriously, I dont need retarded responses. REAL HELP ONLY.

alloroc
06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by kawaii

What the hell does that have to do with it? Looks dont matter on how well you can repair a screwed up fender, or rockchips, seriously, I dont need retarded responses. REAL HELP ONLY.

Tomco actually works in the body repair business and probably has one of the best 'eyes' out there.

That said .. He is on the road a lot and gets lonely ;)

kawaii
06-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Have you been tested before? I don't think genetic colour blindness works that way.

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/ishihara.html

It's like tone deafness -- most people who claim to be, are simply untrained.

I say go for it, do what you like. If it's what you want to do, you'll find ways to cope.

oh, and tom ... way to class it up :)

Yeah, I know but its been this way my whole life. Didnt get tested, too stubborn and besides if I know it, dont need to go and get a little peace of paper saying I am lol... I did your test, it says the same thing. *shrug*
Yeah I think Ill get some one I know to mix the paint to the right colour, I just wish I didnt have to rely on someone else lol.

Crymson
06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Yah, Tom does do amazing work, and he's usually one of beyonds more solid resources for autobody questions.

alloroc
06-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kawaii

Oh .. and don't get too upset, if you can't take a little ribbing in an online forum things may be difficult once you get to the jobsite.

but when you say 'body' shop, you do mean cars right?

TomcoPDR
06-30-2008, 12:16 AM
:love: ok my bad :love:

Well, currently I'm not in the autobody/bodyshop business, something similiar but different, lol

If you're looking into autobody work, from my experience of actually working in the trade (never got journeyman ticket, just FYI), with your eye conditions maybe you won't be able to be a painter.

Painter's eyes are really TONE sensitive, painting in autobody isn't just picking up a factory color mix formula, almost 90% the painter has to make tiny adjustments (compared to factory given formula) than what's being ACTUALLY painted.

If you're talking about the actual bodywork itself, such as changing a fender, banging out damages, etc... I really don't see why eye/color would matter.

I am in the industry of fixing automotive dents without the use of repaint. However, our eyes are strain with close distance lights (3-4 feet away, compared with a light in the ceiling which is 4-5' away which you're not directly staring into it)... Some people who try to get into our trade have complains about eye sores :cry: lol... I've been doing this since I was a teen that my eyes are fucked anyways so I dunno... If you're interested in that trade, then once again pics plz. :rofl:

TomcoPDR
06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
And I didn't mention "prepping" cuz I'm assuming OP's a chick... unless she's a guy with a bf, which cancels out my request for pic...

But if the OP is a chick, you do not want to be prepping (in my opinion)... that shit, dust, dryiness is pretty harsh on the hands... When I use to prep, I had to use oil of olay TWICE in a day. :(

kawaii
06-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Your assumption is right, I am a female...comments for a pic makes me wonder if there are any chicks out there on these forums...lol Yeah Ill eventually get a picture up of me Im not at my computer this weekend.

Prepping isnt where my intrest lies, fortunatly for me, I knew about the shittyness of it, but thanks for the reminder!! *shudder* '
I was afraid that youd tell me the one thing that i really didnt want to hear... " Painter's eyes are really TONE sensitive, painting in autobody isn't just picking up a factory color mix formula, almost 90% the painter has to make tiny adjustments (compared to factory given formula) than what's being ACTUALLY painted." There may be a way to get around that? I hear theres some computer programs out there that can match the same colour from using a lazer, would it work for a car colour if you adjusted the computer settings from regular paint to car paint? :dunno: it might be possible. Or is it possible to get someone to do the mixing and you just apply it, but then I guess it would just defeat the perpose eh?

TomcoPDR
06-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Well, also talk to some of the Beyonders who are actually IN the bodyshop trade, I'm not one of those people who claims to know everything, and willing to accept that sometimes I could be wrong about things...

In concerns with your painter/color tone... if I remember correctly (yes, I have painted, bitch-boy to a licensed painter)...

- First you mix the paint up according to your paint brand color charts of that auto maker. (so therefore, different bodyshops you work at will use different brands of paint like in house paint: Home Depot "blue", Rona "blue", Behr "blue" are all differently engineered but still offer similar color required)

- Once you mix your paint according to paint brand charts, you test spary it on a piece of cardboard, wall, test board, etc...

- Then you hold it up to the ACTUAL vehicle you're trying to paint; this is where every paint job is different (can't just order computer mixed paint)... because each vehicle age differently, paint wear differently, etc...

- Based on observational (visual) opinion of the painter, he/she then somehow changes the formula of the paint to fit the vehicle. (I'm not skilled enough to do that myself)

- Then you test that new changed mix again, and repeat until you (painter) is satisfy with the tone

- Then you spray the shit outta the vehicle and get paid.

Anyways that's just my version, bodyshop people welcome to jump on board and correct anything.

Don't think I'm making fun of your medical condition (seeing the typical stuff I type)... but what about working for a bodyshop with taxi contracts??? Just simple yellow, black, white. :dunno:

kawaii
06-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Naw I dont care, I would call it more of a 'trade off' then a medical condition anyways.

Yeah I know you cant order a premixed, but what about a software program that will take the most common kinds of car paint and such and then input the make and model and volia the colour key comes up, guess wishful thinking eh?

lol yeah I could but I think Id like to try my hand at cop cars instead of taxies...yeah taxies get beat up more but cop cars are white and I could make them all different shades of white and legitimetly claim that they look the same to me :P But yeah, I think Ill just work on a friends shelby and get the parts from pick a part. At least until I can get the general hang of things. Just get Keros to mix the whites for his car for me and then his car will be all the same colour :angel: Thanks for the input, but I would like to know how you got to be bitch boy to a licenced painter? Kinda like a foot in the door, thanks again
-Kawaii.

rice_balls
06-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Hey Tom her name suggests that she is "cute" in japanese....

88jbody
06-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Posting for friend:

Colorblindness is not a very good thing with the actual painting of the job. There are many things that have already been pointed out that you must rely on color sensitivity.

I myself do alot of studying of my colors to make sure they match or they look good, out in the sun too. You have alot of errors you can make and alot of adjustments you have to get the tones right.

I have 10 different shades of primer that I lay under my basecoat and spray on to see which one makes the shade and flake match with the oem colors. Pearls and "frosts" are not entirely different but you should be able to spot those with color blindness.

You wont see the color of pearls , but if you know what a pearl is suposed to look like you will be able to see the pearl in the paint

88jbody
06-30-2008, 05:09 AM
also getting into a shop is hard. even as a 'shop bitch'. Been trying to get into a good shop for a while but haven't had luck, so i took it upon myself to study every piece of body and paint literature ont he internet and all the forums. now im signing a lease on a 2 car shop to setup as a paint booth to do my work out of. if you have the drive to succeed in this and it's not just something you wanna 'do', you'll overcome your disabilities and they won't affect your work. it's all about adapting. and when painting panels on acar, usually matching colors isn't hard if its a new car and you got the code, because you simply just blend the paint and clear into the next panel and it all matches up again after and you dont notice.

tom_9109
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Be a body repairer and not a painter then you don't have to worry about color matching the paint.

kawaii
06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah starting your own shop is hard, unless you have the reputation to go with it. Good luck! ^.^
Im going to be looking on the internet and getting some books specifically for painting vehicles. I know some peoples vehicles need repainting, pick a part always will have bumpers that are beat to hell and could use some refinishing. :)