PDA

View Full Version : Rags to Riches Stories!

ancient
06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Hah its kinda funny cause generally you only hear people mention all the good things about their cars etc. But is there anyone has any stories that go from rags to riches... Ill share mine then if you guys have some of your own feel free to share them....

I bought my lude in 2001 - 93 vtec, had it for a bit now, and I love the car absolutely. I bought the car out of Vancouver, and went down and looked at it, in the rain. Now buying a used vehicle in the rain is probably not the greatest since most cars paint looks nicer wet. Looking at the vehicle dry after the paint was a like a Macco job done in 30 minutes or something, but it doesn't look horrible only if you look close at bottoms of the doors, its black so its hard to see.

Anyways so I get the car and drive it from Van to Calgary, where I live. Check oil check engine runs great runs perfect all the way home. Pulls good everythings running like a top. Im on my way to work one day and im just cruising the speed limit and I can hear this knocking noise coming from engine bay. I kinda think what the ****, I look over at my dash and theres no cel or anything. I think im hearing things so I just kinda give it a bit of gas, and immediately it throws a CEL and the knocking just gets heavier... So I pull over check the oil, its non exisistant on the dip stick. So I decide not to drive it, being that I just spent all the money on the car. I get it towed back to my shop where I goto inspect it, my dad and I pull the pan and notice metal shavings in it, oh pulled a rod bearing. My dad says no worry we'll replace it, he has worked on engines for years, but wasn't familiar with honda clearances at the time, so we decide to just replace the bearing and hopefully it'll be fine. So we do all the work put in some new clevite 77 honda bearings , throw them in... I do some test driving around, seems to be doing ok. So next day I go to goto work, I am driving along, knocking instantly I know whats wrong, so I decide to drive it all the way back home. By the time I make it home the thing is in limp mode and is running like total ass. So this time we decide to do a full rebuild and pull the engine out and do everything accord to honda specs as best we can or atleast to our knowledge at the time.

http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/DSC00466.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/DSC00461.JPG

So we pull the engine replace the crank get it reworked and refinished, buy oversized bearings to match how much we took off, assemble the whole thing.. Ok fresh new build. Car runs great, lots of power. However its extremely heavy on oil, like I go thru 4L's every 2 weeks almost. So continue to drive it that way for 2 years.

I end up taking the car on a trip back out to vancouver to check out some Champ Car racing that was taking place at the time. Needless to say the car was in decent condition body wise by then a little rust on the rear quaters, So im in Vancouver, staying in one of the ritzy neighborhoods and my cars parked infront of my friends million dollar home. I wake up the next morning to find my driverside door caved in and a note on my windshield. Apparently a couple on their honeymoon had back into it who were from Oregon, anyways they left me their info so I got ahold of them and they ended up paying for the damages, but i still to this day have not fixed them. Planning to do all body work at one time.

So my trip is done in Vancouver, we are on our way home, drive home from Vancouver is about 16 hours more/less depending how fast you are going. The whole time during this trip there and back I had been checking the oil every 400 km/s to make sure its topped off, we had been driving the car pretty hard in the mountain passes since it was a cool night and no one on the road at all. Anyways so we're about 13 hours thru our drive home and were about 30 minutes from Calgary's city edge and we can see the lights, and we pulled over to check the oil about 200 km ago... An 300ZX that had been chasing us for about an hour or more, was tagging behind us the whole time decide to pass us when the highway when dual lanes, so I downshift into 4th from 5th cruising at like 140kmph ... Instantly the engine kicks into a knocking noise, i know exactly whats wrong and i scream ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pull onto an offramp throw on the 4 ways and I jump out of the car screaming ****... **** ****... Cause im so pissed off... I check the oil, gone. Nothing in there, we dont' decide to drive it cause we're too far, and I call up my parents, tell them where we are its like 2am at this time, get picked up... Long story short.

I buy a full jdm longblock from a shop that sells them locally, and swap out the old one for the JDM h22 and I've been running off that ever since.... Pulls hard and strong and never had a problem oil usage is low.

Since I did that I've now bought a new block, and a new head from a h22a1 and sent them off to company called ENDYN I know some of you have heard of them. The Old One - Energy Dynamics (http://www.theoldone.com/) Anyways I've had the block sleeved, put in special rollerwave turbo pistons for lower CR and reduce detonation The Old One - Energy Dynamics : Components : Forged Pistons (http://www.theoldone.com/components/pistons/index.html) , and built/assembled probably by one of the most notorious engine building shops in the States. This thing is bulletproof.

Bought a GT30/40R water cooled dual ball bearing, .70ar comp housing and .82 turbine housing

http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/DSC00582.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/DSC00579.jpg

, custom built equal length mani, tial wastegate, hks bov, custom built FMIC, full 3inch straight exhaust with 3inch downpipe. Head has bronze valve guides, skunk2 slim valves, retainers, springs. 1000CC RC Injectors. List goes on of what I've got recently but Im planning this thing to be running at about 400-650 whp area depending on how much boost I decide to be running. Hopefully the only thing holding me back will be traction :) I want this engine to be built to last, under extreme conditions.

http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/engine/DSC00745.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/engine/DSC00756.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/public/oscaroni/Gram/engine/DSC00762.JPG

I got the block back from Endyn just last month actually, but I haven't taken the headoff to take a look at the sleevework yet but soon Im gonna so I can take some pictures and post them.

I still need to purchase a few other parts like turbo cams and all the electronics, boost controller, gauges, etc. I have alot of other plans for the car too as far as asthetics go, mainly mostly simple I just wanna replace the rear quaters and repaint the entire car get rid of all the rust, and get a full ww rs kit. Then I won't drive it in the winter anymore, and the car will be a pretty much track driven and only taken to shows or on really nice days.

Currently I still run running on my JDM h22 while the turbo block is sitting on the engine stand in my garage. Everything takes time and money. Hopefully by the end of this winter Ill have the turbo running and tuned, and come spring have all the body work done, and ready to put into shows.

About 3 weeks ago, I had my car stolen, from infront of a friends house, parked it there for about half the day, came back in the morning and it was gone. 2 weeks later, the car turned up 3 blocks from where it was stolen. The Officer calls me up saying its found but tells me he HAS to impound it and I can pick it up the next day. When he calls me has sitting behind my car, I told him I would come down and go get my car immeaditely show him that im the registered owner etc. But he keeps refusing me saying they must impound it overnight. Total bs, anyways I have no choice.... So I go pick up the car the next day. The car was undamaged and nothing was stolen, however my deck, amp, and sub were all uninstalled... unplugged unscrewed and sitting in a box in my trunk. LOL Needless to say I didnt' even make an insurance claim on it, since the car was undamaged, other then me having to take a $100 dollar hit on the impounding/towing fees.

When the car got stolen, and it was looking like it wasn't going to turn up. I started looking at importing a 94 Supra RS. Since just recently you can import JDM Supras the price has come down a bit. Now that my car got recovered, and the money and time I've already invested I could never let this thing go.

What it all boils down to I guess is that you need to put the work into your car before you can really feel some pride in it, I dont' think I could ever sell this thing anymore, for what I've been through with it. I've learned so much about engines and automotive side of everything working on this car. Always gonna be setbacks. I love my lude. Always will be a work in progress :D

anarchy
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Holy fuck that was a long post.

I tried reading it dude but it was all over the place, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with your title. And not going to lie, didn't finish it.

Coles notes ftw

Rocky
06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
I respect your commitment. I've yet to have a car that really brings out that passion in me. Maybe because I don't have the income to play around with one.

dj_rice
06-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Long post is long

And how is this a rags to riches story?

vietdood
06-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Long post is long

x2

i guess people have their own definition of "rich"

nismodrifter
06-30-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm from rags to ritches n|ggas I ain't dumb
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one

GTS Jeff
06-30-2008, 02:43 AM
I went from rags to bitches.

hadookin
06-30-2008, 02:54 AM
this is rags to riches because money aint a problem for homeboy... went from 3 rebuilds on his car to just going to pick up a '94 Supra.

btw, shold have looked into some new piston rings on the first rebuild:thumbsup:
it may have saved you $400 in oil and no need for a second rebuild.

ancient
06-30-2008, 03:01 AM
I dunno, if money aint' a problem... I've spent last 7 years building this car up and Im still not even close to completition....

And yea there was a few faults, on our first rebuild. Mostly cause I only had the car for 3 days and we began a rebuild on a honda engine that we didnt' know much about yet.

My car when I first got it was rags, and now Im turning it into riches... forget it lol it still is rags....

ZorroAMG
06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I fail to see how that was a story about you going from fags to bitches.....

PS I read the first line only.

Senseiz
06-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ancient
An 300ZX that had been chasing us for about an hour or more, was tagging behind us the whole time decide to pass us when the highway when dual lanes, so I downshift into 4th from 5th cruising at like 140kmph ... Instantly the engine kicks into a knocking noise, i know exactly whats wrong and i scream ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is IMO the best line of the entire post.

Read through the entire thing... When you purchase a used vehicle, not knowing much about a car - and you give the effort and energy to learn and fix it, it feels like a great accomplishment. I know how that feels with my first car. Shitty car, fixes here and there to keep it running.

boxer23
06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
nice read:thumbsup:

Jlude
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Interesting story, but really, I was expecting to hear about someone win he lottery or something?

dj_rice
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Interesting story, but really, I was expecting to hear about someone win he lottery or something?

:werd:

Its a rags to rags story..he bought a Honda

Supa Dexta
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I went from rags to bitches.

to bitchin on the rag.

Annoyingrob
07-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Geez man, you must be driving that thing HARD to spin a bearing three times. lol.

Good luck with the turbo build.

ancient
07-04-2008, 02:46 AM
I don't drive it that hard, but I drove it hard enough... The entire way home on the van trip we were cruising at about 4300 rpm.... and I only have spun a bearing twice on it, and its a common problem on that motor, and it was the same block. Like I said since then I have a brand new jdm longblock.