PDA

View Full Version : Car appraisals?

B18C
08-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Here's a stupid question but how you do go about getting your car appraised? Do you just ask your insurance company for an appraisal or what?

Thanks

Redlyne_mr2
08-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by B18C
Here's a stupid question but how you do go about getting your car appraised? Do you just ask your insurance company for an appraisal or what?

Thanks
call your insurance ocpany they should be able to steer you in the right direction..there are also indepent appraisers in the yellow pages

buh_buh
08-07-2002, 02:49 PM
I have the number of an independent appraiser if you want it.

Davan
08-07-2002, 03:30 PM
I had my old mustang appraised by an independant appraiser.

After the car was in a hit and run accident, the insurance company said it was worth a big 800 bucks and wanted to write it off...

The independant appraiser looked it over top to bottom, and wrote it up at 2400. He found several things about the car that made it worth more than the insurance companies book value.

B18C
08-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Davan
I had my old mustang appraised by an independant appraiser.

After the car was in a hit and run accident, the insurance company said it was worth a big 800 bucks and wanted to write it off...

The independant appraiser looked it over top to bottom, and wrote it up at 2400. He found several things about the car that made it worth more than the insurance companies book value.

So did you get it appraised after your accident?

buh_buh
08-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by redline

Is that JDM bumper worth that much?
it was from my old car smartass.:D
And they gave me more than what my insurance company thought too. And more than the body shop that did an estimate.

shadowz
08-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Ya all you need to do is make an appointment, and its a good thing to have all your reciepts, like S/C your guages wheels and such, its a really good thing to get your car appraised it helps in case of accidents or vandalism

Voodoo Child
08-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Does anybody know the deal with your insurance rates after you get the car appraised? I don't want my premiums to go up, but I want full value for the car. How does that work?

VC:thumbsup:

Davan
08-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by B18C

So did you get it appraised after your accident?

Yeah, after the accident.

I had just spent roughly 3 grand getting the motor rebuilt, and a new C5 tranny put in.

The insurance company didn't take any of this into account when appraising the vehicle. They didn't really stray far from book value, then adjusted based on what shape the car is in.

The independant appraiser took that down all the money I spent on the car, and also noted things like the car is a limited edition Ghia (has more options than normal) and how few kilometres it has for the age, etc...

4wheeldrift
08-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Does anybody know the deal with your insurance rates after you get the car appraised? I don't want my premiums to go up, but I want full value for the car. How does that work?

VC:thumbsup:

You're pretty much hooped. If they go for vehicle value you end up paying based on what the vehicle is worth. If you get a rider put on your policy for the extra stuff you end up paying extra for it too.

BarryBeach
08-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Yeah i just consulted an insurance company about my system ... it is an extra $23 a month to insure it. ... i say fugg it i only paid $260.00 for it

shadowz
08-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Ya some things are worth insuring some arent,