PDA

View Full Version : License Question

WiltonKillz
06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,
Well my younger sister just turned 17 and dosent have a class 5 but she has her class 7. My mother is thinking about letting her drive her car to school. I personally think she needs to wait untill she has her class 5, but if pulled over for any reason what would be of the final outcome ? anybody know, or have expirence driving under class 7 without anyone eles in the vehicle ?
thanks guys
-Ashtin.

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I believe the car will not be covered under insurance if she is found driving in the event of an accident. If she is pulled over she will be charged with driving without a license, among other pretty expensive charges if the officer wishes.

not worth it IMO, accident, not covered, end of story.

badatusrnames
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I believe the car will not be covered under insurance if she is found driving in the event of an accident. If she is pulled over she will be charged with driving without a license, among other pretty expensive charges if the officer wishes.

not worth it IMO, accident, not covered, end of story.

Agreed, not even worth doing. If she gets pulled over, no big deal, some fines, etc. But, if she gets into an accident and hurts someone, your family is on the hook for damages, which could get into the hundreds of thousands or millions.

I had a friend whose dad was a judge and he oversaw a case where 16 year old had driven his car uninsured and struck a pedestrian. If I recall correctly, his family was on the hook for something like $500,000.

dannie
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
^ Yep. She if she were pulled over, she would receive tickers for improper licence class as well have have the vehicle towed. If she were in an accident, the insurance company would have the right to deny claim as she wasn't a legal driver.

The law is very specific. If you have a learners, you MUST have a fully licenced (non-GDL) driver in the passenger seat with you.

And, no offense, but come on!! Your mom is an adult with at least two kids. She should know better than to allow something that utterly ridiculous.

ThisPersian
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
lol I've been hear a while and im still confused about how this all goes
i didn't think it would be much from how Vancouver was, at least when i was there

Learners - 1 fully licensed driver needs to be with you
New Drivers - You can drive alone

Then highway test and your fully licensed...
that not how it is here??

JordanAndrew
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Final outcome when she gets pulled over:
>>>Officer will ask for proof of insurance and registration
>>>Vehicle won't be in her name since she doesn't have a proper license

>>>She gets a ticket for driving a car without the proper license ($230 with 2 demerits off)

>>>yes the demerits carries over when she gets her class 5, therefore limiting herself to ONLY 6 out of the 8 DEMERIT points left as a GDL driver.

>>>She might get a failure to produce insurance ticket because the car is technically not insured in her.

>>>She will not be able to drive away from the situation, therefore the car will be towed at the owner's expense, that being your parents or yourself.

>>>If there's an accident, insurance WILL NOT COVER ANY OF THE CLAIMS YOU OR THE THIRD PARTY WILL TRY AND CLAIM.

dannie
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Kinda. You get a class 7 (learners). You have to have that and be suspension free for at least one year. After the year, you can do a basic road test. Once you pass that you get a class 5GDL. This a probationary licence quite similar the the BC new driver. It has a zero alcohol tolerance, up to 8 demerits before suspension etc. You have to hold this class 5GDL for a minimum of 2 years. Suspension free again. After those two years, you are eligible to do the Advanced Road test. It's basically a 45 minute test to make sure you can drive on the highway, playground zones etc. Once you pass that, you can get a class 5 licence (normal licence, no restrictions).

JordanAndrew
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ThisPersian
lol I've been hear a while and im still confused about how this all goes
i didn't think it would be much from how Vancouver was, at least when i was there

Learners - 1 fully licensed driver needs to be with you
New Drivers - You can drive alone

Then highway test and your fully licensed...
that not how it is here??

You have to have your learners for a year before you can get a roadtest for a GDL class 5 license.

After you've got your class 5 learners, you have to have that license for a minimum of 2 years before you can get a full class 5 license. In the last year of your GDL class 5 license, you have to have a clean record. This means no speeding tickets, stunting, illegal u-turns, illegal left turns, etc FOR A YEAR then you will be able to comply for an advanced road test for a full class 5 license.

Differences between GDL class 5 and a class 5 license:
8 demerit points(GDL class 5) : 15 demerit points (Class 5)
0% alcohol tolerance for GDL : .08 alcohol tolerance (class 5)

There are a few more differences but these are the major ones I can think of from the top of my head.

zarge
07-01-2008, 12:30 AM
is this a joke.. Lincence?? I don't like to be rude but fuck... did you drop out in grade 6.. or were you really drunk lol

JordanAndrew
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by zarge
is this a joke.. Lincence?? I don't like to be rude but fuck... did you drop out in grade 6.. or were you really drunk lol

Thanks for the input.
Oh the 08's just keeps getting better and better.

Annoyingrob
07-01-2008, 05:36 AM
What's stopping your sister from getting her class 5?

Eleanor
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
What's stopping your sister from getting her class 5?

Probably the retarded wait one year before taking the test rule.

Gibson
07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I remember when that rule didn't exist. You write your learners test, go to bed that night, get up, and take your road test. I didn't think it was too much of a bother to wait a year.

ThisPersian
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

You have to have your learners for a year before you can get a roadtest for a GDL class 5 license.

After you've got your class 5 learners, you have to have that license for a minimum of 2 years before you can get a full class 5 license. In the last year of your GDL class 5 license, you have to have a clean record. This means no speeding tickets, stunting, illegal u-turns, illegal left turns, etc FOR A YEAR then you will be able to comply for an advanced road test for a full class 5 license.

Differences between GDL class 5 and a class 5 license:
8 demerit points(GDL class 5) : 15 demerit points (Class 5)
0% alcohol tolerance for GDL : .08 alcohol tolerance (class 5)

There are a few more differences but these are the major ones I can think of from the top of my head.

Thanks that clears it up
i don't mind the 1 year wait, but the 2 year wait seems a bit too much seeing what the other test is going to be about
but i guess its just more time to get experience in the "RIGHT" way..

Annoyingrob
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
You know, one quote just keeps popping into my head reading this thread.

Suck it up, princess.

pyroza
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Thanks for the input.
Oh the 08's just keeps getting better and better.

Yeah, those darn 08's