PDA

View Full Version : DSM'ers (specifically GTO's, 3000GT VR4 and Stealth RT's) issues with acceleration?

JDMMAN
06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Here's the background info. Turns out the front turbo of my GTO had shattered and spilled its guts along with oil & coolant inside the exhaust system. Put in a newly rebuilt stock turbo. But now the car accelerates really slow.

Even with the bad turbo, the car still made decent power. But after it being replaced, its slow as a snail to accelerate.

Actions to take:
(1) Will be removing the exhaust to see if the oil coated cat converter etc has now become a restriction to boost.

(2) Clean up intake side of things to remove oil film covered intake tubes etc.

(3) Check all vacuum lines on the front side against the workshop manual.

Note: I've got an SBC-iD on the car set at 1bar... currently only hits 5.34psi peak :( less then WG pressure! :(

Any Guru DSM guys have an idea?

Supa Dexta
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Check exhaust for obstructions, and/or leaks. Compression check the engine. Also how's your fuel millage? Boost leak test as well. just to get the general things out of the way.

JDMMAN
06-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Supa Dexta - thanks for your reply
:thumbsup:

Compression on the engine is good across all 6 cylinders.

I was thinking of dropping the entire exhaust to see if the exhaust is the restriction. I'm thinking that the oil/coolant coated cat converter probably wouldn't help spool-up.

Haven't really driven it far enough to check for fuel mileage yet.

Going to try a boost leak test. Howeverall clamps etc are tight already.

Supa Dexta
06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Clamps don't mean anything. You'll have to look up the procedure for making a boost leak tester to fit your car, and doing the test, and see if it will hold pressure and for how long.

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2008, 09:28 PM
almost guarantee plugged cat. If you arent getting boost past 5 psi, something is obstructing the exhaust flow by the sound of it.

DonJuan
07-03-2008, 06:34 PM
It may be the DSM nature of your vehicle causing it to be slow. LOL.

After fixing that, my vote is for the plugged/fouled cat. You may want to check all the O2 sensors as well to make sure that they are not damaged, or covered in oil etc. If the death of the turbo was as catastrophic as you let on, you may want to make sure that there isn't something blocking your resonator/muffler/y-pipes.

2.0turbo
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
It sounds like the wastegate might be stuck open and you are not building any boost.

BlackFyre
07-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Not to sound like a douche, but the GTO/3000GT/Stealth are 100% not DSMs.... DSMs (Talon, Laser, Eclipse) were assembled in Illinois, Steaths/3000GTs/GTO's were ALL assembled in Nagoya, Japan.

I have an intake fitting (specifically for this car) for testing boost if you would like to give it a shot, you clamp it in where the MAS/Air Filter are now, hook it up to an air compressor and check for leaks, you can also use a fitting on the opposite side to check the current pressure level if your air compressor doesn't have one.

If you're not hitting full boost, either you have a major boost leak, your wastegates are stuck open as 2.0turbo stated (perhaps also a vacuum line), or something of the sort. Have your plugs recently been replaced? Fouled plugs could cause blow-out on the spark, and give you really weak acceleration and rough idle, however if you're only hitting 5psi, I would doubt this is the issue.

There is a 3s specific forum that you should check out that will have the answer, just do a quick search (www.3si.org) or (www.canada3si.org)(much smaller community).

JDMMAN
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the helps guys. I cleaned out the intake bits along with re-routing all the vacuum hoses. The mechanic that I took it to had mis-routed my SBC-iD solenoid hoses to the turbos which didn't allow the turbos to boost. Power is now back to normal! :thumbsup:

95teetee
07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BlackFyre
Not to sound like a douche, but the GTO/3000GT/Stealth are 100% not DSMs....

There is a 3s specific forum that you should check out that will have the answer, just do a quick search (www.3si.org) or (www.canada3si.org)(much smaller community).

1)beat me to it
2) 3SI is the place to ask

:)

edit-
3) should read to end of thread:D glad you got it worked out

Intensity
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
anybody know any experienced tuners in calgary for the gto?

BlackFyre
09-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Sorry this respone came so late, but RCTS knows a shit load about the GTO/3000GT/Stealth Platform, I would highly recommend them.