PDA

View Full Version : shady alarm company

88jbody
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I was at work, and some one came by the house trying to sell and alarm system.

he pitched it to my wife, she said She wanted to talk to me, and he said well the installer will be here in about an hour. she said no I want to talk to my husband, he continued on to set it up for an install today, now my wife did the dumb thing and signed it.

he was calling in the authroization or whatever to his office, and he told my wife to lie and say she was the home owner after telling him we need permision from the landlord.

she is a very timid and not outspoken person so she just set it for an install today, nothing has been paid, no direct payment info was given.

so we will see what happens when I tell him we are not interested. and see how it is handled.

to me it looks like a scam...or just a shady comapny. and asking my wife to lie just makes me trust them even less.

frozenrice
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Beyond ambush! What's the name of the company? That's pretty skanky of them to pressure her like that.

alloroc
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Damn that's some scary shit right there.

When did this happen? Can your wife give a description?
Maybe they are still working the area!

Give the billing info and description to the cops, get a real alarm - adt or voxcom for the wife.

On a less serious note If the cops don't come in a timely fashion throw some tint on your window and drive by the Timmies on 52'd to get their att'n.

Supa Dexta
07-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Why is your wife even answering the door for strange men, if she's that easily taken advantage of?

analbumcover
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Why is your wife even answering the door

fixed

badatusrnames
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
What's the name of the company? Sounds very underhanded and unprofessional. Even though, I think sometimes the door to door guys are contracted out and will say/do anything to make a sale and earn commission.

canuckcarguy
07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Dollars to donuts it was ADT. They're scummy, and install totally shitty alarms, and love the high-pressure pitch.

brown_guy
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
So... anyone come to your house yet????

Crymson
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Just so you know, this is a common "pre break in" tactic. Guys come to sell you a security system, in order to find out if you have one or not, and to case your house for a minute or two.

88jbody
07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Just so you know, this is a common "pre break in" tactic. Guys come to sell you a security system, in order to find out if you have one or not, and to case your house for a minute or two.
I am aware of that.
it was not ADT. I cannot install an alarm system I am renting and do not own, and my landlord is hard to get ahold of to get written permission for similar things. he won't let me install a sat dish so an alarm would be a no too I would guess.

I won't give the idividuals name...yet unless it turns out to be a huge scam vs just a scum bag of a salseman

the paperwork left is very legit looking and may be legit, but just because of his tactics alone I would not use his company.

but the company info I have is

apx alarm inc
5132 north 300 west
provo, UT 84604
1-800-216-5232
[email protected]
www.ApxAlarm.com

agent reg # 32784

direct seller lic # 318268

the paperwork show that they operate in 48 states, and 2 provinces, if it is real.

my google search begins on them now to check it all out

88jbody
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

fixed

don't worry she got the other black eye for leaving the kitchen :thumbsup:

she is the type that feels bad to say no and ussualy just tells them to wait for me to get home, and ussually there are never any issues like this but this guy just must have been sly enough to dupe her into it.

and it sounded like a scam to me when she sent me a text wile I was ato work asking me and I had replied back to her to just tell the seller to leave some paperwork for us to look over. but I sent the message too late and she had already gave in.

88jbody
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
found another address on another sheet for

#600, 12220 stony plain Road
edmonton
same phone and e-mail ect...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/217684/apx-alarm-system/

so looks legit, but this particular sales man I don't like what he did, espically after being told we rent and him telling my wife to lie and say we owned.

why would we buy an alarm 3 months before our lease is up. it is just stupid

88jbody
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
called the head office and cacelled it, they said they would contact the contracted out party that had come buy and cancel.

although all the review I found did say poor service with the contracted out parties, but did say the product itself was satisfactory.

so I guess nothing more then a leazey saleman. and my wife being wet behind the ears, she grew up in a town of 3000 where these type of salesman don't come buy.

88jbody
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
they guy showed up just now, told him I was not interested. did the typical salesman things trying to convice me to buy something He thinks I need but I know I don't and sent him on his way.

appaerntly according to him he had my wife put as a homeowner so the system could be installed without issue with the company he is contracted for.

I told him it sounded shady he apologized for it sounding that way and after still trying to sell it to me for another 5 minutes left.

If I get an alarm it will be ADT for sure. even if it costs a bit more

Xtrema
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Many years ago, we had the same pitch and we refused. Not a week later, there was an attempted break-in.

They are all crooks. But if you do have valuables in the house, you should get one. Or at least get some alarm stickers.

88jbody
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM
the house is stickered. from alarm force
and the basement windows are bared as well and only 2 windows easily reached without a ladder.

but also the landlord owns the house next door and rents to his niece who knows us, and keeps an eye on the property anyway.

Jay911
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
AlarmForce! THIS IS THE ALARMFORCE CENTRAL STATION! IDENTIFY YOURSELF! (after you've shaken out your underwear)

With my experience with alarm companies, I figure the best defense is a big dog. That and/or building your own alarm system not connected to a monitoring center, and just getting on good terms with your neighbors and telling them "when that horn I just put up on the eaves goes off, call 9-1-1".

brown_guy
07-03-2008, 06:49 AM
ha ha well glad things worked out for you ;)

nj2Type-S
07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
i asked about this company a while back....pretty much the same story but i told the sales guy that i had just signed up with another company and will be doing installs this week. he was still trying to pressure me into doing it and he kept rambling on and on about their product until i finally got annoyed and told him i really didn't have time to listen to him anymore, lol.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/217684/apx-alarm-system/

canuckcarguy
07-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by 88jbody

If I get an alarm it will be ADT for sure. even if it costs a bit more

ADT is no better. They typically install alarms with the brain and keypad, in one unit, parked right next to your front door. All a thief has to do is walk in and unplug the unit, there's no back up. I had them install an alarm a few years ago, and when I switched over to Shaw digital phone, the Shaw guy informed me that they hadn't installed the alarm phone line ahead of the extensions - meaning if a burgler comes into the house, while the alarm is waiting for the code, all the burgler has to do is pick up an extension, and the alarm is dead. Or unplug it from the wall (the keypad had a cord running from it to a convenient power outlet). Or unplug the phone line (which was right next to the unit)

ADT was super-pissed when I asked them to fix it but eventually they tried to install it correctly, and couldn't. Their installers couldn't figure out how to run the phone lines to the unit, and actually suggested (I'm not making this up) that we install the unit just above the baseboard. Meaning we'd have to pretty much lie on the floor to use the keypad. The Shaw guy said it was installed incorrectly in tons of houses he was installing digital phone in...

88jbody
07-06-2008, 07:42 AM
so where is a good place I could pick up a glock? sounds like the safest way to go :D

ecstasy_civic
07-06-2008, 11:57 PM
100lbs pitbull will scare these fools away.
I get these tools at least once every 2 weeks, they just dont seem to get it. The one dude seemed alright, not too pushy but when I asked for a card, he said he was the card and he didnt have any. He went across the street after I said there was no way we would buy something from someone without any type of contact info. My wife rolled up minutes later and he came running back with a business card, said hey I found one are you still interested:rolleyes: :guns: :guns:

I dont trust anyone, let alone door to door salespeople:whipped:

Bimmer88
07-07-2008, 12:10 AM
No offence... but what's the point of an alarm if it takes them 30 min to respond with a security unit?...

By that time your probably dead...

But I can also understand if its a smart alarm and detect fires, and can automatically notify the fire dept. But either way... alarms are a waste of money.