PDA

View Full Version : Accidents on motorbike

imtbike
07-03-2008, 06:16 AM
I just learned that my Best friend has bought himself a road bike. Since finding this out, I have heard all sorts of horror stories about people having nasty bike accidents. It seems that everyone who has been riding for a while has had at least one bad accident. I was talking to a friend on the weekend and she told me her boyfriend's dad lost his leg due to a bike accident. Others tell me that you should expect to go down once a year if you are an active rider.

I am curious: Who’s had a nasty accident, or who has been riding for a while and had no mishaps?

brown_guy
07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
14 years no mishaps.....:thumbsup:...people that drop their bikes are just bad riders and have poor judgement skills in 90% of the time...

Neons4life
07-03-2008, 06:48 AM
I been riding now for 8 years and been in 3 accidents, and way to many close calls. Those close calls is because I ride very aggresively even on the street.

First accident was entirely my fault for being inexperienced rider. At only 3 months of riding I took a corner too fast, ran wide and hit a curb. Ended up with a head trauma and went to the hospital to get scanned and stay a few days. Ended with a concussion and no major damage...phew! My helmet was destroyed as I hit head first.

second I was stunting doing a high chair stoppie, crashed but I was fine as I was going slow enough to just roll off the bike

third I had race tires on the bike but yet was using it to ride to work one day, tires were cold, went around a corner 2 blocks from home and high sided. Wrote the bike off. But yet I was very sore and lots of bruises.

I could go more into detail but that's the main parts.

I know there's been way worse accidents out there, but these are mine to date. haha

The Cosworth
07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I have ridden on and off for 4 years.

Dropped my enduro on a gravel road giving it way to much gas. Other than that I have been fine.

Many close calls though, some because I was stupid and some because the cagers were stupid

badatusrnames
07-03-2008, 07:04 AM
My mom works on the neurological rehab unit at the Foothills Hospital as a nurse. She deals with both head injuries and spinal cord injuries.

In 25 years she has seen hundreds of young men who have one moment had their whole lives full of promise before them and the next are paralyzed from the waist down or are reduced to having the intellect of a five year old after getting into a motorcycle accident.

As much as you may think you are a good driver, many accidents are the fault of other drivers. And when you get sideswiped in a bike, the consequences are much more severe than if you are in a car.

She told me the other day about a patient she has who is in his 20's that got cut off by a car and is now paralyzed from the neck down, he can't talk and only his eyes can move.

Or I met a guy that graduated a year ahead of me that was rear ended by a drunk driver while on his bike. The bike ended up on top of him in flames while the driver took off. He suffered severe burns and head injuries.

I could go on forever...

I've considered getting a bike, but honestly, what worries me is the fact that as well as you ride it, there is always the uncontrollable variable of other drivers. That coupled with the fact that you are very exposed on a bike can lead to very serious injuries.

r3cc0s
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Guys... this is a "canned" post
I gaurantee this is a bot and needs its account closed

Eleanor
07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
^ i'm surprised the account hasn't been banned yet.

khtm
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Have ridden about 50k, including a trip from Calgary to Baja. Only times I've had accidents are in the dirt or sand on an enduro.

If you pay attention, signal, shoulder-check, don't ride in blind spots, and always assume every cager is going to wipe you off the road, then there's a much better chance you'll survive. Getting rear-ended by a drunk driver probably means you were at a stop light and not checking your mirrors and/or had the bike in neutral and couldn't move away or jump off it in time.

I've always said you should be 20 or older to get a Class 6. There's too much testosterone and "invincible syndrome" in younger kids. Most of the accidents are from rookies on sports bikes speeding and driving beyond their limits.