PDA

View Full Version : Stress

rmk
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Fuck me :banghead: Work is KILLING me right now. Things are technically good as I have a brand new offer which I accepted, but for some reason I am stressed beyond belief.

I don't want to drink, or smoke weed (done enough of that) but wondering what you guys do mentally to get back into the zone. Do you take any stress relief herbs? (legal :) ) or have mind excercises? I know it sound cheesy, but I'm really desperate and DONT want to goto counselling for stress.

Tia.

KuruptEX
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
i have been working at my place for 3 years and im stressed to shit :(
but im quitting and headed back to school :)

403Gemini
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by KuruptEX

Schools plenty stressful. I'll deal with the daily grind at work any day before I have to worry about midterms, finals, and papers.

rmk
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KuruptEX

That would be kickass... I'm jeleous.

What are you taking?

silviafreek89
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I like to drive if I run out of chronic....Or if I am baked I just drive around for the fun of it :burnout:

Perhaps lying on your bed with your eyes closed listening to some quite music:dunno:

QuasarCav
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I look forward to the drive at the end of the day when I can have a few cubic feet all to myself!

TaiChino
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Zen sand garden?

Foreign2
07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
jerk it.. then get baked.

kerry
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Take up a martial art. It's good exercise, teaches disipline and will help you get out some aggression in a very safe environment/manner.

I noticed when I don't goto Jiu Jitsu I get stressed easily, but if I'm going to class regularily I'm quite calm and docile. All gayness aside, try yoga too. Extremely relaxing.

Once you start working your body like that, your mind follows the healthy pattern. It's great.

gen2teggy
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
play worldofwarcrack

kaput
07-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Tik-Tok
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by gen2teggy
play worldofwarcrack

Even better, World of World of Warcraft (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/warcraft_sequel_lets_gamers_play)

Seriously though, do you belong to a gym or anything? Exercise is an awesome stress reliever, maybe if my life were more stressful, I'd be in better shape :D

A790
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I made a thread a while ago along similar lines. I found that by simplifying my life a bit I was able to "come down" and relax. I went to the gym more, took up a few hobbies, and actually started casually writing stories.

It's been a few months since then and I definitely enjoy life a lot more now. The biggest thing for me I think was to remind myself that there was more to life than what I was doing. It also helps to find friends that compliment your life as opposed to complicate it.

Tik-Tok
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by A790
It also helps to find friends that compliment your life as opposed to complicate it.

:werd: :thumbsup:

Years back, I was hanging out with 4 or 5 regular friends, and always had a blast with them, but good god, every bloody week was like a jerry springer episode with them. Some white trash shit always happening.

Finally I had enough and cut ties with all of them. Life was much simpler after that.

JWL
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Definitely working out and eating helps me on a stressful day.

JAYMEZ
07-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Go to the gym and exercise , it helps you mentally and physically.. Also sex helps alot if you have a gf/wife. Also if your very stressed , maybe try writing things down on what you are stressed about and see if you can deal with them individually.

Jlude
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
^^^
EDIT - Fuck, didn't see your post.

I usually go for a run if I'm stressed... or like one guy said above, just zone out to some good mellow tunes.

Sex works too...

schocker
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
i tried doing some running tonight. ran down to the river and gathered my thoughts then ran back home. it was quite nice but was very tiring after not running in ages.

mo_money2supe
07-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I find that staring at a fish tank without keeping track of how much time you've actually wasted relieves my stress.

Super_Geo
07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Cardio... jogging, biking, stairs climbing.

Get out of the city. I just spent 5 days on the lake at a friend's remote cabin... boat access only, no cell phone reception, just water skiing, wake boarding, kayaking, BBQing and getting shit faced in the evening!

Haha now I find I'm too relaxed at work.

ecstasy_civic
07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I get super stressed with work, the best thing I can do is just think about going home and sitting down to think about nothing.
For the longest time, and sometimes still, I find it hard to sit down for even 5 min and not do anything. Theres always just so much. But if you make sure you have a few min every night to just relax, I find it helps tons.

Or get a heavy bag and just hit it til your arms feel numb.

Destinova403
07-03-2008, 11:14 PM
i just play video games... or just sit and watch tv... RELAXATION... dont need to think about anything.

or just go for a drive... you dont need to go anywhere... just head out of the city, find a nice road and take an hour out of your time just to drive.

max_boost
07-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Yep. Go to the gym. I've been going regularly for the past 4-6 weeks and I'm a lot calmer compared to before. Dealing with dumbasses at work drives me insane. I go with 4-5 people, play some badminton, sweat my ass off cause of the humdiity at Talisman. PERFECT.

Are you good at sports? I suggest joining a rec league. It's good to get out and socialize too.

One last thing, don't be shy so share your feelings to someone. Everyone needs someone to talk to. :thumbsup:

nj2Type-S
07-04-2008, 09:49 AM
i go to the gym and go ape shit on the bag or on thai pads sessions, lol...i feel sooooo much better after.

Danish
07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by kerry
Take up a martial art. It's good exercise, teaches disipline and will help you get out some aggression in a very safe environment/manner.

I noticed when I don't goto Jiu Jitsu I get stressed easily, but if I'm going to class regularily I'm quite calm and docile. All gayness aside, try yoga too. Extremely relaxing.

Once you start working your body like that, your mind follows the healthy pattern. It's great.

I agree with Kerry. Martial Arts is a great stress reliever, light sparring or just something more physical is a great way to blow off steam. Plus I find it gives me something else to focus on besides the office.

syeve
07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by rmk
I'm really desperate and DONT want to goto counselling for stress.

Hop on your bike dude. Biking is my church/counselor/drug.

Lex350
07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Fuck me :banghead: Work is KILLING me right now. Things are technically good as I have a brand new offer which I accepted, but for some reason I am stressed beyond belief.

I don't want to drink, or smoke weed (done enough of that) but wondering what you guys do mentally to get back into the zone. Do you take any stress relief herbs? (legal :) ) or have mind excercises? I know it sound cheesy, but I'm really desperate and DONT want to goto counselling for stress.

Tia.

Here are my 3 ways to combat stress:

1) Workout
2) go for a drive to Banff and back
3) Play my guitar as loud as possible

Kloubek
07-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Dude - I think you have to ask yourself: Why are you letting work get you stressed? It's work. Unless it's something like you're working with dead bodies or something, it's all about how you look at it.

You go to work. You do the work. You get paid. You go home, and do whatever you want and think however you choose when you arrive.

There is no room in my life for stress. I have a stress-free job, stress-free relationship, stress-free everything. Are there problems at both work and home? Sure there are. There always will be. You deal with the issue, then you go on your merry way.

Sounds overly simplistic? Not really. It's all about how you position yourself in your life. Don't get overly pissed off about things. Don't take things to heart. Just live your life the best you can, and deal with issues as they come. Don't make your own issues. Ie: Picking fights, being an ass, etc. Not saying you do, I'm just making suggestions for all.

I find that if you live as a reasonable, responsible adult, and try to avoid adding unrequired stresses into your life, you end up a ton happier.

dropdat
07-04-2008, 09:13 PM
About this time of year I start to get really stressed with work. I do a few things to combat this:

Every morning I wake up at my regular time 5:30, do yoga, eat a good breakfast and read the paper. If i get the day started properly then I usually feel good all day.

I get off work around 6 usually and I goto the gym at 7 everyday. I run for atleast an hour at the gym everyday and that's another thing that makes me relax, I just cover the timer on the treadmill with a towel and zone out.

By the time I get home I've already had a long day and am preatty tired, so I'll just read, watch a flick or goto bed. I like to make sure I'm well rested, there's nothing worse then being tired as hell while being stressed.

As for the weekends, I wakeboard/party/golf non stop and that seems to help.

devilsmaster
07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I spend day with my friends outside where i can observe narture <i m great nature lover >and listen lots of music .

Darkane
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
1) Walking. I love walking, even in the gym around the track for 45-60min. Throw on your favorite album on the Ipod and really focus on the lyrics or a specific insturment.

2) Meditation. Focus on one particular object and ask questions about it

For eg: Try holding a pencil and just staring at the eraser. Ask yourself why it's there, how it got there, how was it built, who might have first thought of it. As you get better at meditiation like this the questions come to you freely and you try to answer them. Concentrate. This type of meditation is actually a great skill to have, it helps keeping focus with other daily tasks!

3) Reading. I like to zone out and read a good Fiction/Sci-fi/Fantasy book. Something where I don't have to think and I can be a part of the story more or less.

Sleep more, but don't over sleep. Over sleeping is sign of depression which can be directly caused by Stress.

jsn
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I find going for a nice drive, and listening to my favorite music helps a lot. Try to find a nice back road somewhere so theres not much traffic and traffic lights. Even when I'm not stressed, if I'm in a bad mood or something, i'll go for a drive and that cheers me up. In the summer, playing outdoor sports is great too. Even if you don't have a full team, doing something outside is great. Hell, we played 2v2 football lol.

Video games are great as well :D

rmk
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice Bump :D I forgot about this thread.

I took advice from all you guys and i'm feeling MUCH better now. I started working out again and i'm down 6 lbs. Continue to attend the same Church as syeve :D Read, drove, slept. I also am taking some stress relief capsules and they seem to help.

Gracias to all you guys

sdiep
07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow, that sounds great! Good to hear that things are working for you!