PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions...

Gibson
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
So, first, I'm gonna buy a flash soon (Nikon) and I'm debating between the SB-600 and the SB-800. Any recommendations or comments about either one?

Secondly, my mirrors (and to a lesser extent) my sensor has a severe dust problem. I know that dust in the mirror is irrelevant, but I like to be looking through a CLEAN viewfinder and I read somewhere that you can put some lens solution on a q-tip and use that to clean the mirrors. Go or no go? Is it worth it to get it professionally cleaned?

Thanks in advance.

Mitsu3000gt
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
So, first, I'm gonna buy a flash soon (Nikon) and I'm debating between the SB-600 and the SB-800. Any recommendations or comments about either one?

Thanks in advance.

The SB-600 is all most people really need IMO, and is significantly cheaper than the SB-800. If I am remembering correctly, the main differences are that the SB-800 is slightly more powerful (but takes longer to recycle), has a built in bounce card, can accept an extra battery for faster recycle times, and it can be used as a commander - I don't know what camera you have, but you don't really need this if your camera's built in flash has commander mode. The SB-600 has a nicer LCD too, if you care about that sort of thing.

In my opinion, if your camera's built in flash has commander mode and you don't need the most powerful flash you can buy, I'd save the $100 or whatever and get the SB-600. The SB-900 was just announced as well, but I don't know much about that one yet.

AccentAE86
07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
hmmm, I've never cleaned my mirror. I don't touch it as the AF system relies on it, so smudging or scratching it would probably be bad. Nothing that a bulb blower can't fix probably.

Often, viewfinder dust is dust sitting on the bottom of the focusing screen. Again, I use a bulb blower, and blow lots of air onto the underside of it and 99% of the time it gets rid of all the specks you see in the viewfinder.

clem24
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I used to think the SB600 was all I needed. But the SB800 is just a much better flash overall. You'll need to add the 5th battery if you want good recycle times though. Another great thing with the SB800 is that it can act as an optical slave! Sweetness for those moments when you need an extra flash.

Gibson
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Soooo, I bought the SB-600, but I'm pretty certain that I can't use it in conjunction with my D40 as a wireless slave, right? It works for what I need. I even thought about going all the way down to the SB-400, but settles on the middle of the road SB-800.

And also...erm...I did end up trying to clean my own mirror and I may have punctured one of them. There's a black dot (not a dust spec) on the left hand corner now that won't move. I can't physically see it on either of the mirrors n the chamber. I'm going to take it down to Alta tomorrow to get someone to take a look at it and possibly get a new mirror assembly. Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
If you want to do wireless off camera flash with the SB-600 and a D40 you need something like the SU-800 or SB-800 to trigger it. The D80 and better cameras that have a built in flash can trigger them with the on-camera flash.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM

And also...erm...I did end up trying to clean my own mirror and I may have punctured one of them. There's a black dot (not a dust spec) on the left hand corner now that won't move. I can't physically see it on either of the mirrors n the chamber. I'm going to take it down to Alta tomorrow to get someone to take a look at it and possibly get a new mirror assembly. Any ideas on how much it would cost?

I'm not sure how you'd puncture a mirror, it's probably just dust on your focusing screen.

seer_claw
07-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I'm not sure how you'd puncture a mirror, it's probably just dust on your focusing screen.

The mirrors are very fragile and apparently very thin. I've read on nikonians about a couple of people that tried to clean them and have broken the mirrors.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Fair enough, but how would you puncture it with a Q-tip? You'd really have to be pressing on it. I just use a blower for mine, although I cleaned it with a Sensor swab once and it worked fine.

AccentAE86
07-10-2008, 08:51 AM
aww dude, don't clean your mirror... I've only heard horror stories from people who tried... hopefully it's only viewfinder dust.

mboldt
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
And also...erm...I did end up trying to clean my own mirror and I may have punctured one of them. There's a black dot (not a dust spec) on the left hand corner now that won't move. I can't physically see it on either of the mirrors n the chamber. I'm going to take it down to Alta tomorrow to get someone to take a look at it and possibly get a new mirror assembly. Any ideas on how much it would cost? [/B]

What were you using to clean it =/ Your warranty my be void now as well... I talked to the guys at Vistek about it for quite a while... They said if you mess up your mirror / sensor by cleaning it wrong, you're basically screwed because Nikon won't repair any mess ups under warranty. I used an Arctic Butterfly Brush + Blower, works good for me.

Gibson
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
I took it down to TCS (cause I couldn't find Alta) and he told me that it's just a piece of the stuff that lines the chamber and it got into the viewfinder somehow. Reminder to self: never try cleaning the mirror again.

I tried a couple things; a really weak blower, a very soft brush, and finally I got so mad at the dust I put a tiny bit of lens solution on a q-tip, let it dry for a bit, and then tried to get as much off as possible.

The guy at Saneal told me to buy a flat paint brush, statically charge it by blowing compressed air and go into the sensor and give it one wipe and it should clear up all the dust on the sensor. Has anyone done this with positive results?

Foe-king dust.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM

The guy at Saneal told me to buy a flat paint brush, statically charge it by blowing compressed air and go into the sensor and give it one wipe and it should clear up all the dust on the sensor. Has anyone done this with positive results?

Compressed (canned) air can leave a residue on the brush that could transfer to the sensor.

Your sensor, your call.

KKY
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
So.. is it the viewfinder or the sensor or the mirror?

Gibson
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I did think about that crap from the canned air getting on the brush. You can buy specialized co2 cartridges that blow just compressed air. Forget where I saw it...

And it is definitely something in the viewfinder. It's much sharper then a piece of dust on the mirror would be, and the mirror would probably crack before a straight puncture.

mboldt
07-12-2008, 01:34 AM

Foe-king dust.

Don't trust him.

Go out and buy a Arctic Butterfly instead if you haven't already killed your camera =/