PDA

View Full Version : Cross-border car buying hits record

rc2002
07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
GREG KEENAN

From Friday's Globe and Mail

July 3, 2008 at 9:09 PM EDT

The number of vehicles Canadians bought in the United States soared in the first six months of the year and is on pace to smash the record set in 2007, despite some moves by auto makers last year to adjust their prices to reflect the rise in the value of the Canadian dollar.

Canadians imported 151,169 vehicles as of June 30, compared with 189,738 in all of 2007, according to data compiled by the North American Automobile Trade Association, a group that represents dealers, brokers and others who participate in cross-border automotive sales.

Vehicle imports set a record in May at 31,458 – a 56-per-cent surge from year-earlier levels – and more than doubled in each of the first six months of the year from the same months in 2007.

“Consumers in Canada have become acutely aware of the savings associated with U.S. imports and are now actively shopping for American vehicles,” the organization said in a statement scheduled to be released today.

It's not clear how many of the vehicles imported are new and how many are used.

But the numbers began soaring late last year when the Canadian dollar reached parity with the U.S. dollar and Canadian consumers became aware of a significant price gap between essentially the same vehicles offered for sale in the two markets.

Auto makers reacted by cutting prices on vehicles sold in Canada and launching a public relations and advertising offensive that emphasized features available on Canadian vehicles that cost extra on U.S. vehicles. Some companies refused to honour warranties on cars originally destined for the U.S. market that were later imported into Canada.

There are still differences in manufacturers' suggested retail prices.

The DX version of the Honda Civic compact, which is the best-selling car in Canada, has an MSRP of $18,190 in this country. The DX version of the U.S. model carries an MSRP of $15,810 (U.S.).

The Chevrolet Impala mid-sized car is listed on the General Motors of Canada Ltd. website at $25,695 (Canadian). GM Canada is offering a $1,250 price adjustment. The U.S. website of General Motors Corp. offers the Impala at an MSRP of $22,725 (U.S.) and a special buying incentive of $2,500.

“Canadians are tuned in to the price differences and know that they can get a great deal by buying an American import,” Brian Osler, president of the association, said in a statement. “The numbers show people are buying.”

Importing U.S. vehicles became easier last week when Transport Canada announced new bumper standards that are the same as those for vehicles sold in the United States and Europe.

Sales of vehicles in the United States have plunged this year and auto makers have not yet adjusted production to compensate, which means there is a larger-than-usual pool of vehicles for Canadian buyers to consider.

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080703.wrimports04/BNStory/Business/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

I made a thread not too long ago about the resale market drying up in here in recent months. Looks like it's true that there's an oversupply of cars. It's going to be a car bubble!

TYMSMNY
07-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Yea, when we werecrossing the boarder down in sweetgrass, the officer told us that they had 400 cars coming in everyday... and it was just through that one entry point. Pricing down in the states are still cheaper even with the import taxes (if it applies)

nbaker00
07-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Sweet, I've accounted for probably 20 of those:clap:

Super_Geo
07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Time to see if the Canadian dealerships want to sink or swim. They'll have to lower prices another 10% or so before the incentive to go south dries up.

blownz
07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I know one guy in Edmonton that brought in just over 170 last year. This year he is over 100 already. It is funny because he got into business about 8 years ago moving 100+ vehicles a year from Canada to the US back when things were a better deal here and then he almost went bankrupt and now he is doing amazing again.

me&you
07-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Time to see if the Canadian dealerships want to sink or swim. They'll have to lower prices another 10% or so before the incentive to go south dries up.

Who do you think is importing the (vast) majority of these vehicles? It's not joe-blow that's getting a deal on one car at a time.

ekcondon
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I found it funny when I was crossing sweetgrass with my 3000GT that they have that special lane at the border for "Vehicle Exports Only" I guess that's how busy they must be with these imports

willyC
07-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I agree, dealerships are going to have to adjust. If you compare an new s2000 price tag from Canada to US... the price difference is amazing. If an alberta dealership would sell me a new s2000 for a comparable US price.... would buy one this weekend.

Also people selling used cars in Canada have to adjust their prices, becasue there are ALOT of people in the US ditching their fancy cars they cant afford anymore for dirt cheap.

willyC
07-05-2008, 10:01 AM
honda s2000 from the usa will run you (bare bones model) 35k...after all the bullshit of taxes/fuel/inspections etc to get it back and reg. in alberta = 40k aprox. (assuming dollar is on perfect par with US)

Buy the SAME new s2000 in Canada... cheapest youll get it is for 56k.

Who would EVER buy an s2000 from a Canada dealership for 56k.

16k difference. There are still some yahoos around edmonton selling 2006 s2000s for 40k+

RATM
07-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by willyC
honda s2000 from the usa will run you (bare bones model) 35k...after all the bullshit of taxes/fuel/inspections etc to get it back and reg. in alberta = 40k aprox. (assuming dollar is on perfect par with US)

Buy the SAME new s2000 in Canada... cheapest youll get it is for 56k.

Who would EVER buy an s2000 from a Canada dealership for 56k.

16k difference. There are still some yahoos around edmonton selling 2006 s2000s for 40k+

lawl and those chumps still think they can get 39,999

nbaker00
07-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I found that the hondas from the US I've had (no warranty) were crazy hard to sell regardless of the price difference.
I wont even tell you how cheap I can buy an 07 S2k with 2k miles for on one of my auction sites.

ecstasy_civic
07-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by nbaker00
I found that the hondas from the US I've had (no warranty) were crazy hard to sell regardless of the price difference.
I wont even tell you how cheap I can buy an 07 S2k with 2k miles for on one of my auction sites.

Please do, I want one:) lol

nbaker00
07-05-2008, 10:22 AM
PM me

willyC
07-05-2008, 10:42 AM
nbaker00, i typically buy a car and keep it for 5+years. So resale isnt to much of a concern for me.

PM sent about S2k's

TorqueDog
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Dealerships are only the problem in terms of 'used' vehicle pricing. New vehicle pricing, the manufacturer is wholly to blame.