PDA

View Full Version : No money down purchases

Subwoofah
07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I've been offered money to use my credit to purchase a house. Has anyone had any experience's with this?

MintRacer
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
scam, if the people that rent it defult on rent your credit is on the line

Subwoofah
07-04-2008, 02:30 PM
If the rent is assured and a house is put up as collateral for the mortgage... what do you think?

The Cosworth
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
how is the rent assured.

if it was assured why wouldnt a bank do it? They would care less about their credit score then wouldnt they?

Thaco
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I've heard at least 6 people who have been offered this, i personally told them it's not a good idea, after 6 months or whatever they let someone else assume it, if they default on payments the original borrower is on the hook, regardless of what they tell you, the original borrower is always responsible if the assumer defaults.

Subwoofah
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
So even after 6 months, when the title and mortgage is taken over, the original borrower is responsible for the payments (because the mortgage is assumed)? Is there ever a time when the original borrower is off the hook? Could I add in a clause that protects me?

The Cosworth
07-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Subwoofah
So even after 6 months, when the title and mortgage is taken over, the original borrower is responsible for the payments (because the mortgage is assumed)? Is there ever a time when the original borrower is off the hook? Could I add in a clause that protects me?

AFAIK, if you take the loan, sign it (assuring it), it will always be yours unless you can get the bank to approve someone to take it over (assumable) but your still on the hook even after that I think.

Thaco
07-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

AFAIK, if you take the loan, sign it (assuring it), it will always be yours unless you can get the bank to approve someone to take it over (assumable) but your still on the hook even after that I think.

correct... there is a clause after a certain time (not sure how long) that you can have CMHC remove you, but i think that requires going through a lot of red tape, and is generally more of a Pain than it's worth.

lint
07-04-2008, 03:05 PM
See this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/222232/confused-about-assumable-mortgages/

dharminder
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I could be wrong but after it has been assumed by someone else, your still on the hook for i think two years. After that you are no longer on the mortgage. But dont hold me to this, this was a word of month conversation with a buddy. So he could be wrong as well

barmanjay
07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
My mortgage broker told me you would be on the hook for the duration of the term of the current mortgage, ie: 5 year term,.. 2 years in it's assumed, origional mortgage holder is liable for 3 more years

Weapon_R
07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
You are on the hook for the remainder of the mortgage if you assume it to someone else without qualifying unless you formally request to CMHC to remove your liability from the home after 12 subsequent monthly payments have been made by the new owner.

By the way, what you're suggesting is also called mortgage fraud.

lint
07-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

This is Alberta, isn't it?

NewLextasy
07-04-2008, 11:11 PM
It doesn't even matter anymore NO bank will give out a new assumable mortgage as of november last year. It's not legal anymore.

The only way to assume a house now is if it had a mortgage that was assumable in the first place and even then only cibc first calgary and first line will still allow assumable without quailifying.

Trust me I know I have 4 houses that I assumed.

canuckcarguy
07-05-2008, 12:19 AM
CMHC won't allow you to purchase a rental property with no money down, so the only way to do this deal is to sign the mortgage stating that the house will be owner-occupied. Since you don't plan to live there, it's mortgage fraud. Not worth it, in my opinion.

JordanLotoski
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
its called Mortgage fraud!

turbotrip
07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

indeed

Skyline_Addict
07-05-2008, 09:36 PM
scam.

plain and simple.

Pihsiak
07-05-2008, 10:14 PM
If this person is your "friend's" mom and your friend drives a red Lexus, Get the fuck as far away as possible

Scam

Subwoofah
07-05-2008, 11:37 PM
lol ill be on the lookout for the red lexus haha

spikerS
07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
my late father ran this scam (and i use the term lightly, as they did it as legit as possible, but yes, it was still fraud).

He had a client, who purchased houses and such. he became so far in debt that the banks would not lend him a buck to buy a pack of gum. So, he would offer people $3k to qualify for a martgage, and after 1 year, would assume the mortgage, and a year after that, remove the original qualifier from the mortgage.

my father and his client bought an easy 30+ houses this way.

Subwoofah
07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Did they screw over everyone that took the money?

spikerS
07-08-2008, 06:22 AM
nope, they never screwed anyone over. everyone got the 3k for qualifing, and not one mortgage payment was missed.

brown_guy
07-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Don't do it ....:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow