PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder what cops run under the hood?

joejoe3
08-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Notice how fast those cop cars in calgary accelerate so damn fast? I wonder what they have running under the hoods of their ford crown victorias...

Ben
08-30-2003, 02:39 AM
I believe the new ones have a 239horse 4.6L V8 under the hood. Limited Slip Differential and All Wheel ABS HD Discs

The older ones from the mid 90's were like 210hp and 270 torque, same motor tho.

Quarter Mile times were only low 16's tho, and 0-60 is a measly 9 and a half seconds (automatic 4spd). They do however pull well on the high way, with a top speed just shy of 150mph. They just dound fast when they stomp on it cause its a nice V8.

bart
08-30-2003, 02:50 AM
the older impala ss' they used were faster, but they were more expensive, only used as ghost cars in canada. in the US they still use them and they're marked. ahah, a big 4100 pound ramming tool in chases.

5.9 R/T
08-30-2003, 02:56 AM
The police packages offered by the various car makers rarely have performance engines in them, usually just stock motors with upgraded brakes, transmission, suspension, cooling, and electrical.

KoukiS14
08-30-2003, 05:19 AM
Apparently the "fastest" road vehicle in the police arsenal is the Jeep Cherokee. Im fairly certain its acceleration only and not top end because its an aerodynamic brick.

Don't quote me on it, my former boss, his bro is a Calgary cop. He told him this info.

Weapon_R
08-30-2003, 07:33 AM
A cop car is just a regular car, with the taxi/police package that includes big brakes and beefier suspension. There is nothing special about them. Anyone who is exempt from the traffic laws can make a v8 run just as quickly.

rice_eater
08-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Pick up this month's Sport Compact Car...they have them tested out...here are some quick specs :

Chevrolet Camaro:
5.7L V8, 310whp @ 5200, 335 lb-ft @4000, four speed automatic, 0-60 in 5.69 secs, quarter mile of 14.14@ 102.48mph, top speed 159mph

Hummer H2:
6.5L V8 diesel, 195whp @ 3400, 430 lb-ft @1800!!!!!, four speed automatic, 0-60 in 20.65 secs!!!, quarter mile of 22.11@ 61.80mph, top speed 85mph

Chevrolet Impala:
3.8L V6, 200whp @ 5200, 220 lb-ft @4000, four speed automatic, 0-60 in 9.25 secs, quarter mile of 17.02@ 83.20mph, top speed 126mph

Ford Police Interceptor:
4.6L V8, 239whp @ 4750, 287 lb-ft @4100, four speed automatic, 0-60 in 9.14 secs, quarter mile of 16.99@ 84.10mph, top speed 128mph

Dodge Intrepid:
3.5L V6, 242whp @ 6400, 248 lb-ft @3950, four speed automatic, 0-60 in 9.14 secs, quarter mile of 16.98@ 85.05mph, top speed 136mph

these numbers don't look that impressive do they? The hp and torque are all measured at the wheels and are pretty good numbers, but the quarter mile and 0-60 aren't impressive at all. But don't think you can just go out and outrun the cops in your "moded" civic coz no matter how fast or crazy you are, you wont outrun their motorolas!!!

Speed_Dreams
08-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Police impalas have a different tuned ECU. they don't have a rev limiter and they don't have a govener. They also have differnt shift points and air/fuel setings

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS A TAXI

Moe Man
08-30-2003, 11:21 AM
lol this reminds me of a kid in my class that thinks police intercepters are the fastest cars on the road and i screemed so hard at him i got kick out of class for it and i expland to the principle the guy was an idiot and is talking out of his ass

tommy1223
08-30-2003, 11:46 AM
the cop cars arnt that fast top speed, all the cops i knwo and talked to say they max out about 120 or so. and the reason why they are so slow is because of all their equiptment they have in their vehicles.

and all they have is a beefed up V8 and some other mic. works.

rice_eater
08-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by tommy1223
the cop cars arnt that fast top speed, all the cops i knwo and talked to say they max out about 120 or so. and the reason why they are so slow is because of all their equiptment they have in their vehicles.

and all they have is a beefed up V8 and some other mic. works.

why is there still any doubt??? I just posted the specs for you guys :banghead:

Mckenzie
08-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Apparently the "fastest" road vehicle in the police arsenal is the Jeep Cherokee. Im fairly certain its acceleration only and not top end because its an aerodynamic brick.

Don't quote me on it, my former boss, his bro is a Calgary cop. He told him this info.

I've seen this thing at the forest lawn training center.....and its no joke. It could out run and out corner the crown vics like they were going backwards. It is a white cherokee with black tinted windows and this thing is fuckin insanely fast. Major suspension upgrades and the one trainer said that it had a done up 5.0L in it....never knew that chrysler made a 5.0L engine but you never know what you can get with enough money.

I know the caprice classics use the LS1 Police Pursuit Engine (tuned down Corvette engine).

Vroom vroom....

Mckenzie
08-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

why is there still any doubt??? I just posted the specs for you guys :banghead:

Chill out dude....you need to get some ass....Getting touchy in your old age :poosie: .....

Gimme a shout when you get back into town....

rice_eater
08-30-2003, 01:06 PM
i'm in TO right now and i'm heading home in an hour or so...stopping in Kitchener for a bit though for a neon meet :eek: :D Hopefully i'll be back in calgary say monday or tuesday

joejoe3
08-30-2003, 01:44 PM
You guys seen the yellow/orange mazda 6 police car in the yard of the calgary downtown police lot?

Hash_man
08-30-2003, 05:35 PM
One of my friends pulled an engine from a cop car in a wreckers lot, and said it had a bunch of performance stuff, like performance cams and such.

omar_allibhai
08-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by joejoe3
You guys seen the yellow/orange mazda 6 police car in the yard of the calgary downtown police lot?
yeah its a yellow mazda 6
and they also have a red toyota matrix, as well as a Hummer H2.
You never know they might all be driving rice rockets soon.

finboy
08-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Major suspension upgrades and the one trainer said that it had a done up 5.0L in it....never knew that chrysler made a 5.0L engine but you never know what you can get with enough money.

jeep utilizes a 4.0L HO v6

I know the caprice classics use the LS1 Police Pursuit Engine (tuned down Corvette engine).

Vroom vroom....

LT1, not LS1.

Wildcat
08-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by finboy
LT1, not LS1.

correct, when i was in the back of a cruiser (er.. long story) the constable told me they had a few wagons with C4 corvette engines

Dr. Lightspeed
08-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Ok gonna set the record straight seein how I work on the highway interceptors.

Originally posted by Ben
I believe the new ones have a 239horse 4.6L V8 under the hood. Limited Slip Differential and All Wheel ABS HD Discs

The older ones from the mid 90's were like 210hp and 270 torque, same motor tho.

Quarter Mile times were only low 16's tho, and 0-60 is a measly 9 and a half seconds (automatic 4spd). They do however pull well on the high way, with a top speed just shy of 150mph. They just dound fast when they stomp on it cause its a nice V8.

at this altitude the run high 17's until we chip them then the run mid 16's. With the Ford Interceptor package they run out of fuel and timing at 195 km/hr with proper tuning they hit 215 after along time.

Originally posted by suffeks
the older impala ss' they used were faster, but they were more expensive, only used as ghost cars in canada. in the US they still use them and they're marked. ahah, a big 4100 pound ramming tool in chases.

Some are marked and it is not an impala SS it is a caprice classic with a LT1 they top out just over 280km/hr

Originally posted by Weapon_R
A cop car is just a regular car, with the taxi/police package that includes big brakes and beefier suspension. There is nothing special about them. Anyone who is exempt from the traffic laws can make a v8 run just as quickly.

Not true the Interceptors have severly upgraded ecu programs and suspensions. I know I go with the cops on highspeed test runs when we are tuning their chips in. Those cars can hold some serious G's in a corner. Now don't flame me I don't think they hold a G but they shure so handle nicely.

Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
Police impalas have a different tuned ECU. they don't have a rev limiter and they don't have a govener. They also have differnt shift points and air/fuel setings

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS A TAXI

Police Interceptor Caprice Classics. They do have a govenor, they will not over rev, The fuel ratio is leaned from 12.6 to 1 to 12.9 to 1. Shift firmness is improved

I've seen this thing at the forest lawn training center.....and its no joke. It could out run and out corner the crown vics like they were going backwards. It is a white cherokee with black tinted windows and this thing is fuckin insanely fast. Major suspension upgrades and the one trainer said that it had a done up 5.0L in it....never knew that chrysler made a 5.0L engine but you never know what you can get with enough money.

Vroom vroom....

LT1 i am afraid

Originally posted by Hash_man
One of my friends pulled an engine from a cop car in a wreckers lot, and said it had a bunch of performance stuff, like performance cams and such.

BS they wreack them and no interceptor engines fall into public hands unless it is a collector.

5.9 R/T
08-30-2003, 11:47 PM

I6.

Dr. Lightspeed
08-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

I6.

hehe never noticed that one. Of course have never seen one of those in cop car yet. :Leave it to a Dodge guy to spot.

TegLover
08-30-2003, 11:59 PM
remember exit wounds...well the Detroit Police interceptor is now at a wrecker...no engine though and the computer and shit are all gone but they do have the roll cage still in there...i know Calgary police cars rip their stickers off when they are junked etc...not sure about taking the engines out...

Dr. Lightspeed
08-31-2003, 12:02 AM
interceptors are for highway patrol and the engines are removed.

Mckenzie
08-31-2003, 01:43 AM

LT1, not LS1.

My bad on the LS1....

The guy at the training center told me it was a 5.0L. I told him that the jeeps never came in 5.0L, only 4.0L and he still insisted it was a 5.0L so who knows.....but if you saw this thing go you would never think it was stock....trust me...:thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
08-31-2003, 03:09 AM

My bad on the LS1....

The guy at the training center told me it was a 5.0L. I told him that the jeeps never came in 5.0L, only 4.0L and he still insisted it was a 5.0L so who knows.....but if you saw this thing go you would never think it was stock....trust me...:thumbsup:

They did come in a 5.0, jeep has had a number of owners over the years, and at that point ford controlled them. However, none of the newer (since at least 87) jeeps have come with a 5.0, so it is probably a swap or the guy was talking out his ass.

Edit: Could be Dodge's 318 too (5.2L)

Mckenzie
08-31-2003, 10:18 AM

They did come in a 5.0, jeep has had a number of owners over the years, and at that point ford controlled them. However, none of the newer (since at least 87) jeeps have come with a 5.0, so it is probably a swap or the guy was talking out his ass.

Edit: Could be Dodge's 318 too (5.2L)

hmmm

I figured if anything it would be a ford 5.0L because it sure accelerated like one.... But it was not an old one (at least 95) so they must have done a swap if they used that engine....

5.9 R/T
08-31-2003, 11:16 AM

hmmm

I figured if anything it would be a ford 5.0L because it sure accelerated like one.... But it was not an old one (at least 95) so they must have done a swap if they used that engine....

Hahaha, you must be pretty good if you can tell what a car has under the hood just by the way it accelerates! :burnout:

Dr. Lightspeed
08-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Probally had the V8 under the hood.

KoukiS14
08-31-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
interceptors are for highway patrol and the engines are removed.

Maybe nowadays...a while back a friend of mine bought a 1983 Malibu (former RCMP car) with a 305 Interceptor in it. Yeah it was carburated and ate gas the back doors only opened from the outside. The car handled really well considering. Minimal if any body roll. Pretty quick too. Fun car. One wheel burnouts. Great times :burnout:

Mckenzie
09-01-2003, 12:52 AM

Hahaha, you must be pretty good if you can tell what a car has under the hood just by the way it accelerates! :burnout:

:thumbsup:

Man.....I can hear a 5.0L coming from like three blocks away......:love: Absolute music to my ears.....

Same with the 5.9 Dodge engine......:poosie: Even more music to my ears.....:clap:

Spenser
09-03-2003, 10:45 AM
You can buy old cop cars from the us, Some guy in a beat up green caprice(or crown vic) pulled up beside me at a light, I reved my enginde because it was running funny and i guess he thought i wanted to race, well any way he let it rip and spun for atleast 15 feet, he was taking corners fast and the car had those search light things on the side, I followed him and when i pulled over he got out, he said the car is from the US and it has the corvett motor in it and everything else, he said the only thing they do to them when they sell them to the puplic is take out this extra plate gear mobober in the transmission which lets the car accelerater to something like 180 MPH, or atleast thats what he said, he says the cars cost 3000 to buy used.

Loose
09-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed

Some are marked and it is not an impala SS it is a caprice classic with a LT1 they top out just over 280km/hr

:bullshit:

fyse0
09-03-2003, 09:16 PM
cops in AZ have n2

illeagle
09-04-2003, 12:25 AM
So here in Calgary, There is a used car sales place on 52st near 17ave SE, they sell EX cop cars, with Police interceptor badges, these 'police' cruisers Do not have the intercepter motor? What about the cop cars at the Police auction?

DannyBoy6000
11-24-2003, 12:31 AM
No offence but it sounds like most of you don't seem to know much about Police cars from what i just read lol.When ex-police cars are sold there are no performance stuff taken out.The reason why is due to that when the police are done with the cruiser/s they get rid of them cuz they feel that the cars are no longer fit for police work and just don't preform like they should anymore so they get new ones!What makes a police car preform better than the stock models are a couple of things,For example they get a more aggresive shifting HD tranny,Dual exaust were as the stock models get single,HD sway (bigger) bars,HD frame,All bushings are HD,HD shocks and springs,Bigger disk brakes and pads,Power steering,tranny and motor oil coolers,Aluminum drive shafts,Police pkg. computer chips witch are NOT taken out when sold to the public,And a steaper rear end gear than stock models witch really makes a difference when it comes to acceleration!!! I have owned 2 9C1 Caprices and now own a 97' crown victoria police interceptor.If there are any more questions please feel free to ask! Dan.

Toms-Celica
11-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Really, hes full of shit! Congrads

403Gemini
11-24-2003, 12:44 AM
the hummer may be slow, but its a mini tank ;) i could see em use it in a road block if they needed heh... no civic would wanna try and break through that lol

Khyron
11-24-2003, 01:21 AM
I can't site sources but there's at least 1 RCMP cruiser with nitrous roaming around.

Khyron

rice_eater
11-24-2003, 01:32 AM
:rofl:

Shaolin
11-24-2003, 01:55 AM
my buddy just bought a cop car that was owned by the solicitor general.. maroon color with steelies and an LT1. car's so fun to drive :D

JAYMEZ
11-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Calgary police have Corvette Engines , i ask my uncle who is a pig

ninspeed
11-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
in what??? only chev engines that they would use anymore is the 3800 Series II (3.8l 90Deg V-6) in the impalla, 4.3V6 (4.3l 90deg V-6) Astros, and the 6.0l V8 in the H2 and G-vans

T5_X
11-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

He was referring to old LT1 Caprices. Even then, the Caprice LT1 is not quite the same as the Vette one.

JAYMEZ
11-26-2003, 03:15 AM
I didnt ask what kinda car , they all so ugly , but i did see an STi Cop car in this forum , thought that would be fun lol

link785
11-26-2003, 03:48 AM
Not sure if the Calgary cops here use them, but I know in the States a lot of highway patrols have LT1 Camaros. I don't think I'd ever try outrunning one of those :rolleyes:

Mckenzie
11-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by link785
Not sure if the Calgary cops here use them, but I know in the States a lot of highway patrols have LT1 Camaros. I don't think I'd ever try outrunning one of those :rolleyes:

I saw an RCMP car between Calgary and Edmonton pull some guy over and it was a 2000ish camaro. Not much of a chance getting away from one of those guys.

Wildcat
11-26-2003, 09:36 AM
LT1 camaros?? phhhffff..... looks like LS1 to me! :D , damn RCMP high rollers! :tongue:

http://members.shaw.ca/gripenfelter/Image033.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/gripenfelter/Image037.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/gripenfelter/Image039.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/gripenfelter/Image041.jpg

Toma
11-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Never mind.....

ramminghard
11-27-2003, 12:59 AM
the RCMP camaro can hit 260. was done on the way to a motorcycle crash. that is how fast the cop said he was going.

rogue
11-27-2003, 01:39 AM
rcmp have a freakin viper too. Honolulu police use cars confiscated in busts and convert them to cop cars,( saw 2 grand nationals, monte carlo ss, viper, believe it or not they had a old porche with cherries on top) they even painted them as cop cars. In europe especially scandanavia they use suburus as cop cars all the time especially sti. As for cop cars here they arent all that fast i have seen them outrun many a time (not by my slow ass) but many nights you would see them tearing off after a street racer at bullshit and the cop didnt have a chance in hell.

Wildcat
11-27-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Never mind.....

what were you going to say toma?

CRX-R
11-27-2003, 02:08 AM
You passed the cop on the highway to get that last pic??? :rofl: Not bad buddy :thumbsup:

Wildcat
11-27-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by CRX-R
You passed the cop on the highway to get that last pic??? :rofl: Not bad buddy :thumbsup:

haha, wasent me it was gripenfelter on this board. and i think he got pulled over too :rofl: