PDA

View Full Version : I think I blew my motor tonight...

Vitesse951
08-30-2003, 02:15 AM
I had been drinking a little tonight at my house, so when the time came to go to my buddies house about 5 miles away, naturally, I let him drive, instead of driving myself. We didn't have any other vehicular options except the 951. I let him drive it, and on the way over there, we pulled up next to a supercharged Harley Davidson edition F-150 at a redlight. I have read they run a mid 6 second 0-60. Some redneck in the truck asked me what kind of car we were in. I told him it was a Porsche 944, and he kinda laughed, and said, "Isn't that a 4 cylinder?"
I said, "Yes it is." He asked me if I thought it was fast, and being a bit more agressive than I normally would have ( due to the alcohol), I said, "Fast enought to beat your truck." He said, "I doubt it, I have exhaust, and a pulley change." I told my friend Antwoine (the driver) to burn this guy, and as soon as the light turned green, we were off. Antwoine, not used to launching the 951, bogged terribly, giving the truck about a car lead on the lauch. We finally caught boost in first, and he powershifted to second, and we passed the truck at a ridiculous rate of speed. He continued accellerating to the end of second, by which time we were more than 5 cars ahead. When he reached then end of second, he tried to bang it into 3rd, but he didn't quite make it, and I heard the engine over-rev, and the gear grind. The rpms fell and never stabilized, the engine stalled out going down the highway. We pulled over and smoke was pouring out of the hood and the AC vents. I tried to restart the car, but it wouldn't start, it only turned over for ever and never got close to starting.

I was only running 9lbs of boost on a T04E turbonetics turbo with a Link 1 ECU. The A/F ratios weren't that great, I was still trying to tune it, there were a few lean spots, but I surely didn't expect that they were lean enough to blow the motor.

I can't really blame Antwoine for mis-shifting, because I told him to race the guy... I am just really upset with myself for getting drunk and letting someone who isn't familiar with the car drive it.

I guess there is some lesson to be learned here, I just wish it wouldn't have come at the cost of my motor.

I hope that I only blew the head gasket. Tomorrow, I am going to take the head off and inspect the pistons/rods and valves, and ,make the diagnosis as to what happened. I hope to god that it is only a blown head gasket.
:banghead:

More info tomorrow when I tear it down...

Kamen
08-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Man sorry to hear that...hope the damage is at a minimum.

KoukiS14
08-30-2003, 05:47 AM
Whoa dude thats harsh. Why must people doubt the 4 cylinder?

rice_eater
08-30-2003, 09:23 AM
honestly man, unless i absolutely have to i dont let anyone drive my car...i'm just so paranoid, especially when people can't shift properly...

sin
08-30-2003, 10:41 AM
what happened to the anti-street racing?

boyforsale
08-30-2003, 10:59 AM
I told my dad this story, he was so sad. And when I get a car I will never let someone drive my car. I never let people borrow my pencils or pens or erasers in school, I like my own stuff. Trust no one.

D'z Nutz
08-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Yeah, that totally sucks and all, but in the end the smarter decision was not driving after having a couple drinks, not telling your friend to race the guy ;)

Moe Man
08-30-2003, 11:31 AM
keep it at the track......

i always wanted to say that

tommy1223
08-30-2003, 11:42 AM
it's nice that u put that hick where he belongs...in the dust u left behind for him, but it also sucks that u blew ur motor...

sorry to hear.

ya Keep it on the tracks....unless u really needed to put that person where he belongs and shut him up.

Mike09
08-30-2003, 11:43 AM
As long as it doesn't look like my block.!!

BigMass
08-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Even though the only cars i have ever driven were manual, i always give mylsef a few days to learn how to properly shift on new cars. Every car is different and takes getting used to. To let someone who has never driven your car try and race it was foolish. But i guess you already knew that and i am sorry it happened. I hope the damage is not too bad and you never let strangers drive your car again. If i was drunk i would rather walk or take a cap and leave my car where it was.

I would have no problems letting my friends drive my car if it was an auto, but there are so many drivers out there that have no clue how to drive stick properly it scares me.

HOK
08-30-2003, 04:52 PM
at least you were in the car.... my "friend" tried to blame me for him blowing up the car....

JustinL
08-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Look on the bright side... It might be an excuse to buy a Millege or Anderson motor. If you are lucky only one thing got seriously damaged and didn't take anything else out with it.

Dream about a new 3.1L 500+HP monster.

Justin

Z_Fan
08-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Vitesse951
I guess there is some lesson to be learned here, I just wish it wouldn't have come at the cost of my motor.

I wonder how fast the truck blew by you as your car was coming to a sputtering halt? Think of the big, stupid shit eatting grin your redneck friend must have had on his face!!! LMAO! That's gotta piss u off the most!:thumbsdow

Yeah, there's more than one lesson to be learned. But I'm not sure you learned anything...:dunno:

The cost of your motor is a small price to pay for what could have happened.

illeagle
09-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Dude, that sucks, The car looks really nice, your buddy prolly feels like shit, I know i would.

ryder_23
09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Atleast u were smart and didnt drink and drive

ZorroAMG
09-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the engine, but right now all I can think of is a new 0WNED picture with a 944...smoke and a harley truck ...mesh hat.....LOL UGH!

Sad day for german vehicles everywhere

Eric Happy Meal
09-04-2003, 06:34 PM
so you have a 951 but told him it was a 944???

Vitesse951
09-04-2003, 09:02 PM
It is a 944... and that is the important thing here.
:rolleyes:

I have been having a time getting the head off... Damn stripped bolts in really unaccessible places.:banghead:

Mikaldor
09-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Ouch, that's a real bummer. Keep us up to date on your progress, and best of luck on getting the 951 back on the street.

Hollywood
09-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Vitesse951
I can't really blame Antwoine for mis-shifting, because I told him to race the guy...

How can you blame a guy named Anttwoine? That's what I say.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah, that totally sucks and all, but in the end the smarter decision was not driving after having a couple drinks, not telling your friend to race the guy ;)

Exactly!