PDA

View Full Version : Tip for beating the heat on a bike if wearing leathers

Graham_A_M
07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, Its pretty damn scorching hot out there on certain days. I know how unbearable it can get even with just a leather jacket, leave alone a full suit.

What works great are these slender freezer packs that you can stuff in your jacket chest pockets. It works very well and they stay cold for a couple hours. Which should be enough for a decent ride on a hot day. Probably the best form of no-cost A/C on a bike I can think of really. Unfortunately they do create condensation so your shirt may get a bit damp, but that shouldn't be a problem in this heat regardless.
I just thought I'd throw this out there if anybody hates riding with leathers in the extreme heat as much as I do.

Safe riding:)

2006lancer
07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
now if only i could keep my bike cooler to...105-109 is a little hot...but only at a light...

hadookin
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 2006lancer
now if only i could keep my bike cooler to...105-109 is a little hot...but only at a light...

I wouldn't worry about that. Think about what the bikes down in the southern states have to handle in stop and go traffic.

brown_guy
07-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice Idea Ill try it out :thumbsup:

D. Dub
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
How about don't wear leathers :D

The only way I can stay cool is to use a mesh jacket and mesh pants. And even that's freaking hot if you end up in stop and go traffic.

GQBalla
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
werd ^^

when i ride i wear my perforated leather jacket, helmet, gloves, motorcycle boots and jeans.

wearing all that in stop and go gets really hot but i would rather be sweaty than have no skin.

Dumbass17
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
^^i agree
road rash hurts..alot

Kobe
07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
get rid of that jacket, get a back protector, and put it under a hoodie....

Get some gloves, and some skate shoes and you are good to go

japan_us
07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
^
I live and work in downtown, so I'll rock the hoodie and skate shoes if I plan on staying in the area, but if ever I'm heading out (i.e.; plan on going over 70kph), the leather jacket goes on.

It's not the bumps and bruises that I fear, it's the road rash.

As for the ice packs, I'll try that out next time. That, or I'll get one of those backpacks that has the built in water pouch thing and straw.

3g4u
07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I just got back from riding to Arizona and back and man it was HOT like 52 degrees hot. I found this sweet bandana at some gas station that has pellets inside that expand when soaked in water and stays cool for hours, I tied that around my neck and it worked like a charm.:thumbsup: just another stay cool idea.

Dumbass17
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
get rid of that jacket, get a back protector, and put it under a hoodie....

Get some gloves, and some skate shoes and you are good to go
i hope you were sarcastic
skate shoes won't do jack
i got rear ended and my skate shoes flew off and i was in my socks
dress pants/skate shoes = not fun to get hit in

GQBalla
07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
AGATT > Dumbass17