PDA

View Full Version : Difference between nitrous and methanol

R!zz0
07-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Is there a difference between them?

What's better?

Where in Calgary can i get one and how much?

Would it be safe on stock cars?

:thumbsup:

BlackArcher101
07-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I hope that wink means you are joking.

trikypenguin
07-05-2008, 10:07 PM
he does drive a G35

sr20s14zenki
07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
If you want power, nitrous is what you want. Meth injection doesnt really add much, its simply a chemical form of intercooling, as it reduces your intake temps and takes up slight volume of your cylinder.

the simplest kit for you to get that works on pretty much anything, is a ZEX wet kit, good bang for the buck, and pretty much idiot proof

btw, just to save confusion, its actually Water Methanol, not just methanol. Its a mixture of water and methanol, because methanol is cold, puts a chill on it :D

Oldskool
07-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't think Nitrous is safe for stock cars...

Don't you need to upgrade your injectors or spark plugs or something (Not sure of this)

sr20s14zenki
07-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
I don't think Nitrous is safe for stock cars...

Don't you need to upgrade your injectors or spark plugs or something (Not sure of this)

No, not for a wet kit. A dry kit, yes. A wet kit with the use of a special nozzle and fuel/nitrous jets, sprays a mixture of nitrous and fuel at your throttle body, eliminating the need for tuning. At most you MAY need a bigger fuel pump to supply the fuel, but not necissarily. Nitrous is perfectly safe for a stock car in small doses, ie. 50 shot would be the most i would do alot, but 75 shot once and awhile (= but i dont care if i break my car, i have a daily driver.

R!zz0
07-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Total newbie at this. Difference between wet and dry kit?
I'm thinking of spraying the camaro.

Oldskool
07-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Total newbie at this. Difference between wet and dry kit?
I'm thinking of spraying the camaro.

I think....

Wet kit injects nitrous into a main air intake,
Dry kit injects nitrous with the fuel right into the cylinders.

google nitrous..... lots of your questions can be answered there...

R!zz0
07-06-2008, 12:40 AM
One more question...Anyplace in Calgary sell them for a reasonable price or am i better off getting it from the states?

sr20s14zenki
07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Oldskool

I think....

Wet kit injects nitrous into a main air intake,
Dry kit injects nitrous with the fuel right into the cylinders.

google nitrous..... lots of your questions can be answered there...

you are correct, a dry shot is just the nitrous itself, then you need to program your EFI to match the nitrous with fuel. Wet shot, its jetted itself and sprayed about 6" away from your throttle plate, facing it. You can usually find a setup for around 500 complete, so its pretty cheap. Its expensive to fill these days tho haha. I wouldnt think about using nitrous as your primary power adder tho, honestly you go thru it quickly and its expensive these days, my friend filled his bottle on friday for like 120$, used to be about 70. Turbo or supercharge if you want power all the time, we only use the nitrous on his car as a temporary power increase, an equalizer if you will :burnout:

R!zz0
07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice, can you tell me where your friend got his from?
I just want to try it out at the track.

GTS Jeff
07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Is there a difference between them?

What's better?

Where in Calgary can i get one and how much?

Would it be safe on stock cars?

:thumbsup: Nitromethane gives you the best of both worlds...and more power. I suggest that.

BenC
07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Thinking of spraying the bird.
how much does it add hp wise?

Hakkola
07-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BenC
Thinking of spraying the bird.
how much does it add hp wise?

I believe the terms 50 shot, and 75 shot, etc. denote the hp gains.

Ekliptix
07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Ask Rage if he likes Meth. 200hp gain. It's for FI cars to significantly cool AIT and increases octane a lot.

Supa Dexta
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Meth is FI pump gas' best friend.

rage2
07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Meth injection doesnt really add much, its simply a chemical form of intercooling, as it reduces your intake temps and takes up slight volume of your cylinder.

btw, just to save confusion, its actually Water Methanol, not just methanol. Its a mixture of water and methanol, because methanol is cold, puts a chill on it :D
100% pure methanol is about 120-125 octane. It's sprayed (with fuel dialed back) too boost octane as well as cool the charge. I use pure methanol in my car's setup, and it basically raises 91 octane to about 100 so it can run more boost. No water, just straight pure methanol.

Originally posted by Ekliptix
Ask Rage if he likes Meth. 200hp gain. It's for FI cars to significantly cool AIT and increases octane a lot.
Fucking love it. Kept up with a S65 AMG going hard without having to downshift haha.