PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone with a Shaw HD PVR (6416) plugged in an external HD to record?

Pacman
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
The internal HD on my Shaw HD PVR (Motorola 6416) box is getting full. Instead of deleting all the shows, is it possible to simply plug in an external hard drive into one of the USB ports on the unit, and just have the shows record to the external HD?

The manual that came with it doesn't seem to have too much information on it.

Thanks,
james

mazdavirgin
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry mate doesn't work at the moment with motorola boxes. The only PVR's that support external drives are the Pace Tahoes.

Pihsiak
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
my friend sent me a message. I have yet to try it

"I just (somewhat) successfully ripped content off my HDPVR via firewire to my laptop. You should try it. AVCVideoCap to rip, iSquint to convert and VLC / Quicktime to playback."

beecue
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
yeah but you have to record it .. you can't just take if off the HDD

Grogador
07-06-2008, 10:14 PM
The ethernet, USB and whatever ports are disabled in Shaw's firmware, however Firewire is enabled, along with the component and other video outputs, obviously. There's some Canadian A/V forum that details it further but the name escapes me at the moment. G'luck!

mazdavirgin
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
The ethernet, USB and whatever ports are disabled in Shaw's firmware, however Firewire is enabled, along with the component and other video outputs, obviously. There's some Canadian A/V forum that details it further but the name escapes me at the moment. G'luck!

Mayhaps http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/? The USB port is disabled not only in the Shaw firmware but in ALL firmware. Motorola hasn't released any new code that allows the activation of the USB port. Comcast users in the states have the same problem...

Grogador
07-07-2008, 12:01 AM
^ that's the one :D didn't realize they disabled for everyone but it's not surprising, Motorola is horrible about software updates, fixing bugs, etc.

demosticgarbage
07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
those boxes were like 700 new? and you cant even record to external hd?

i dont get the hd hype and shaws hd prices

DJ_NAV
07-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Motorola in general is crap now... they used to be good...
i remember they were the most advanced in cell phones in 1996ish... but today they seem like they still stuck in 2002 technology..

you can see that with thier cell phones... how many variations of the Razr are they gonna make????? theres over 20!