PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping- best place to buy gravel

riceboi
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy some gravel (washed rocks) for my backyard, do you have any recommendations? I've heard that burnco is a good place. I'm looking for the whole package. (materials + delivery). Thanks

Graham_A_M
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
you really can't beat Burnco. Great place, they have all kinds of gravel in all sorts of sizes.
I'm quite sure they can deliver or perhaps deal with a third party company that does deal in deliveries. :thumbsup:

Doozer
07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I just had some rock delivered from Burnco a few weeks back for some landscaping. It was 2.5 cubic yards of the grey limestone, which was about $300, and delivery was about $95. Delivery is a must, because rocks have a way of being very fucking heavy. It doesn't sound like a lot of rock, but that 2.5 cubic yards turned out to be almost 3 tons. There's no way even a large pickup would've been close to doing it.

I don't think there's a lot of selection for landscaping rock places here, but Burnco seems to be pretty fair anyway.

Dr_Funk
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
+1 for Burnco. I worked there for 4 summers and its has a lot of selection and the prices are fairly competitive.

Godfuader
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
What about the bulk place behind Deerfoot Mall?

riceboi
07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
I just had some rock delivered from Burnco a few weeks back for some landscaping. It was 2.5 cubic yards of the grey limestone, which was about $300, and delivery was about $95. Delivery is a must, because rocks have a way of being very fucking heavy. It doesn't sound like a lot of rock, but that 2.5 cubic yards turned out to be almost 3 tons. There's no way even a large pickup would've been close to doing it.

I don't think there's a lot of selection for landscaping rock places here, but Burnco seems to be pretty fair anyway.

Thanks guys, how do you calculate how much rocks that you need?

ExtraSlow
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by riceboi

Length x Width x Height ?

Burnco is very good, although I haven't used thier delivery service. Most landscaping companies will do bulk deliveries, call around.

84 318i
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
+1 for burnco

Graham_A_M
07-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
What about the bulk place behind Deerfoot Mall?
if your meaning across from deerfoot, I'm pretty sure your thinking of Lafarge. Best I know they dont deal to the public unless its for concrete. I dont think they sell bulk loads of gravel to individuals, although I may be mistaken. :dunno:

Best to call and ask, I apologize if I'm wrong.

Doozer
07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by riceboi
I can tell from this question that you haven't even bothered to go to Burnco's website. You should try that.

They have a handy-dandy calculator there that even does the volume for you. All you need to do is take your L/W/H measurements.

Euro838
07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

if your meaning across from deerfoot, I'm pretty sure your thinking of Lafarge. Best I know they dont deal to the public unless its for concrete. I dont think they sell bulk loads of gravel to individuals, although I may be mistaken. :dunno:

Best to call and ask, I apologize if I'm wrong.

No, I think the place he is referring to is Ornamental Stone or something like that. Not sure if they do rocks though but probably would as they have all the other landscaping/retaining wall stuff that would use it.

Godfuader
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

No, I think the place he is referring to is Ornamental Stone or something like that. Not sure if they do rocks though but probably would as they have all the other landscaping/retaining wall stuff that would use it.

This place was pretty big. They had rocks, soils, bricks, and every imaginable lanscaping material. I saw rocks the size of a small cars and small rocks as well. We picked up a couple yards of dirt a few years back. From what I remember it was waaaay cheaper than most places in town.

Davetronz
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Burnco all the way. We just had some 14mm washed round rock delivered for our dog run last week. Good service, delivered when they said they would.

They have a calculator on their website for calculating your volume of rock needed. You just put in your dimensions (w x l x h) and it will output the cubic meters and cubic yards needed.