PDA

View Full Version : Beyond.ca Lecture Hall

TC2002
07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before...

I was randomly searching on youtube for videos that are NOT taken offline (a rare thing these days) and I found this. I wonder where and when this lecture was held?

ESXWpz_i1j0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXWpz_i1j0

nismodrifter
07-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Damn!! Good find!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Price_%28British_politician%29

BrknFngrs
07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
That's Amazing :rofl:

What kind of class would this have been?

ajooo
07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
wow. thats sick.

mboldt
07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Amazing.

I wish the Claw could see this himself.

kvanderlaag
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Holy shit.

We're internet famous.

rys.mak
07-07-2008, 12:41 AM
wow awesome find i wish i had profs like that

pf0sh0
07-07-2008, 12:41 AM
haha pimp

BenC
07-07-2008, 12:52 AM
epicness goes on!

rawsensation
07-07-2008, 01:07 AM
hey where's jay mez? lol
this video is priceless

D911
07-07-2008, 01:10 AM
wow thats awesome!

mo_money2supe
07-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Damn!! Good find!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Price_%28British_politician%29

Pretty sure that's not the guy; if it was, the guy sure looks good for an 83 year old, let alone being able to pick out epic stories from an online forum half way across the world from him! Judging by the way the guy spoke about Calgary though, I'd assume this was at a Canadian University. Otherwise, he'd mention Alberta and Canada as well.

Nonetheless, awesome find! Would have loved to hear the rest of the lecture though.

nismodrifter
07-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

Pretty sure that's not the guy; if it was, the guy sure looks good for an 83 year old, let alone being able to pick out epic stories from an online forum half way across the world from him! Judging by the way the guy spoke about Calgary though, I'd assume this was at a Canadian University. Otherwise, he'd mention Alberta and Canada as well.

lol, my bad :) Didn't even look at that.

l/l/rX
07-07-2008, 01:32 AM
hahaha thats awesome!!!

Godfuader
07-07-2008, 01:41 AM
"...just car geeks, really" :rofl:

7thgenvic
07-07-2008, 01:42 AM
that just made my night! where was that lecture filmed?

VDubbez86
07-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm Almost 100% positive this was a lecture at a UK university, thus the remark about Everton Futboll Club I'm pretty sure if he made a comment about the club in Canada he wouldn't have got a laugh that big So probably Liverpool, England. That's remarkable how a little story from Calgary traveled that far. Sold his hat on eBay thats just pure genius. :thumbsup:

Zephyr
07-07-2008, 02:08 AM
haha now it just needs to get onto top gear!

herragge
07-07-2008, 02:19 AM
hahahah wow epic!
i'm proud to be part of this community of "just car geeks"

turbotrip
07-07-2008, 06:36 AM
haha thats crazy

Dj_Stylz
07-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Wow that's sweet. Even got a shot of the integra in lol.

Canmorite
07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Who the hell is Jay-mez? Some mexican? ;)

Un freaking believable.

badatusrnames
07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Somebody make sure they rip it...

JordanAndrew
07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
"So then somebody goes 2:30 @ Esso right Across form walmart parking lot"

haha, sweet he quoted when I iniated to meet in the middle of the night to try and catch the claw. He even shows a quote of what I just posted. hehe, I'm stoked!

Good times. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
haha Nice find indeed!

Eleanor
07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Hahahaha, beyond.ca FTMFW!

rmk
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Mother F'ing gold

analbumcover
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
good shit!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Holy crap, awesome find!

TC2002
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by herragge
hahahah wow epic!
i'm proud to be part of this community of "just car geeks"

Ha ha! I enjoyed that part too. :)

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Go Jay-mez!

badatusrnames
07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Holy crap, clawesome find!

Fixed :thumbsup:

Jlude
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
That's gold!

TC2002
07-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
that just made my night! where was that lecture filmed?

I have no idea. I've messaged the guy (David Price) via youtube, so I hope he answers!

TC2002
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
haha now it just needs to get onto top gear!

See, there was this snippet in the movie "Get Smart" about the claw (need to look for it on his notepad at the beginning) and I nearly died laughing. I wonder if it made it to the writers of that movie or if it was some weird coincidence?

Super_Geo
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Haha so you fucking mean to tell me that there's a chance that The Claw is going to be part of a university quiz/test? Hahahahaha! :nut:

drtoohotty1
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
i wanna sign up for beyond CSI 101 and get credit for it!

rage2
07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I chatted with David Price already. It was part of a lecture he gave to music teachers to make them how quickly the world has changed.

Here's his message back to me:

Wow, that's praise indeed coming from you guys! It was my son who put me on to it. It was a segment from a 40 minute talk I gave to music teachers (trying to get them to realise how quickly the world's changed). I actually go on to play the CTV clip to show how the media completely missed the point about the collective action you were all able to take.

I hope you don't mind the way I presented you guys - it really was meant out of great respect. I'll be posting some more clips up soon. It would be great if what your members do with my own clip, resembles the spread of the original story!

But I don't think Tay Zonday need worry just yet....

Best wishes,

David
I replied back told him it was great and entertaining the way he told the story.

rmk
07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
^ Awesome :D

The_Rural_Juror
07-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rage2
But I don't think Tay Zonday need worry just yet....

I aspire to be as cool as Mr Price is when I reach his age. He is really well versed with his internet meme's. :rofl:

Trini
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
haha sweet:thumbsup:

TC2002
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Nice work, Rage. :)

TC2002
07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Just got a message back from David Price too...

Re: Thanks for the video clip!
Hi,
Well I'd never have called you 'geeks' if I'd have thought it might come back to bite me!

I'm going to post on the forum tonight, so should answer all your questions there. (I'm not a 'sir' though I did recently get an OBE - have to say the beyond.ca recognition gave me a bigger kick!)

But I'd really like to know - as you can see how this stuff works fascinates me - how you ran into the video (which was mistakenly made public btw!!)

But it wasn't a Uni or College or course.

And I'm really sorry for calling you guys geeks. I actually think which you did/do is fantastic.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Hahaha, this Price guy sounds pretty cool, I'd like to hear more of his presentation.

schocker
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
haha, that was pretty good. :rofl:

arian_ma
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
"So then somebody goes 2:30 @ Esso right Across form walmart parking lot"

haha, sweet he quoted when I iniated to meet in the middle of the night to try and catch the claw. He even shows a quote of what I just posted. hehe, I'm stoked!

Good times. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lmao Jordan he says it like you were shitting yourself out of excitement. So awesome. I am pretty sure beyond.ca is officially the best forum ever. Soon we will see the 08 bashing and BMW comments along with $95 lunches turn up on forums all over the field.

Fuckin' 08s

Akira911
07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
What a great Thread, not much Beyond crew cannot find or do.

JRSC00LUDE
07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by TC2002
Just got a message back from David Price too...

Re: Thanks for the video clip!
Hi,
Well I'd never have called you 'geeks' if I'd have thought it might come back to bite me!..........

And I'm really sorry for calling you guys geeks. I actually think which you did/do is fantastic.

That's funny! It's pretty obvious that comment wasn't meant with any disrespect whatsoever. The whole way he told the story was hilarious imo.

Hell, I don't mind being called a car geek, that's pretty much what we are!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Yeah, we sit on the Internets talking about cars all day, I'd say that pretty much defines "car geek."

DeeK
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by TC2002
I was randomly searching on youtube for videos that are NOT taken offline (a rare thing these days) and I found this.

Using IE. Since SP3, youtube fails to work.

Try using firefox, it fixed the problem for me. I can view all the movies on youtube and other video websites that IE refuses to play.

DeeK
07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
And btw.. Getting praise and recognition like that from around the world. Not just in the car forum industry, but from a different viewpoint about culture change and global views Via the internet. that's top notch.

Good stuff guys!

TC2002
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

That's funny! It's pretty obvious that comment wasn't meant with any disrespect whatsoever. The whole way he told the story was hilarious imo.

I know! I messaged him back and let him know that I wasn't offended in any way. ha ha. I'm looking forward to seeing him posting tonight to answer our questions. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by DeeK

Using IE. Since SP3, youtube fails to work.

Try using firefox, it fixed the problem for me. I can view all the movies on youtube and other video websites that IE refuses to play.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip! :)

Hakkola
07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
HAHAHA, wow! Finding this clip is very "beyond CSI" in itself.

I don't have sound on my computer at work, I'll have to watch this when I get home.

phrozen
07-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Amazing find, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

djayz
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
and it continues...

haha soooo awesome!

Skyline_Addict
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
beyond.ca for global domination! :D

priceygolfnut
07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Time to 'fess up:

My name's David Price, and I'm the guy in the You Tube video. I have to say, first off, this has been a great thread to follow, not just for the ego-boost (all compliments are much appreciated!) but also because it made me laugh, as this forum frequently does.

I'm a little reluctant to talk about myself, but you guys are wondering and there are a few corrections to be made, so here goes. The talk was given about 3 weeks ago, not at a University or college, but at a conference of music educators, in Leeds. (So not Canada, but I don't need to tell people where Calgary is..) I'm a freelance arts (mainly music) and education consultant, and I speak about how divorced schooling is becoming from the actual lives of young people (I also lead projects, if you're interested check out www.musicalfutures.org)

As you guessed I'm not the David Price from the Wiki entry, and with my strong North-Eastern accent, they would NEVER let me in to Eton!! Although I used to work in a university, it was one set up by Paul McCartney, and so it was the only one I could get into with my resume!

My 20 yr old son first alerted me to what happened with the Claw thread, and I thought that this was an amazing thing. As someone pm'd me today, the way in which information and interests get shared so quickly today is far more significant than the way the media portray it. After the YT clip ends I show the CTV clip, where the police warn people off from getting TOO involved, and I say that they totally missed the point. You all did it because you could, and this will be happening more and more, around the world, because we now have the tools. School is now the only time when younger people AREN'T connected, so if it used to be boring when I went to school (and was it ever boring) it seems completely irrelevant to many young people now, and we have to stop tinkering with education, but radically transform it. (I speak about this at greater length at this link: http://www.thersa.org/events/past_events/outside-in-rethinking-schooling---informal-learning-in-school but it lasts 40 minutes, so don't feel you have to.... I'll be posting some more clips up on You Tube, and on my web-site when I finally get around to doing it.

I can't tell you what a kick I got from hearing from the actual people who I mentioned in the clip. Don't underestimate the significance of what you stand for, and what you achieved - a million people in two days is Tay Zonday territory! Of course I realise my little contribution is nothing to the scale of the original, but the way in which you spread stuff around made me want to not post for fear of killing the virus (I need the publicity!). But I just wanted to say thanks at this point - I'll be using this story for a LONG time!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for posting, David, it's quite interesting to know the context behind the clip.

Eleanor
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Thanks for posting, David, it's quite interesting to know the context behind the clip.

:werd: x2

Plus welcome to the forum! Let me be the first say you might be the one to salvage the '08s reputation on these boards :rofl:

I vote custom user title as well!

TC2002
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
This is so neat! Thanks for coming on here and giving us an ego boost as well! :) It's not everyday you get to communicate with someone with an OBE and with a connection to Sir Macca. :)

I'm an educator with the Calgary Board of Education and would like to start my Master's degree in education in the next couple of years. If you're okay with it, I would like to contact you in regards to your perspectives on education! Can I PM you (or you PM me first if you are available)?

priceygolfnut
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
TC2002:
How could I refuse since you 'discovered' me?

finboy
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
thanks for stopping by david, i'd love to hear the whole presentation if you can upload it somewhere.

also, your video pops up on youtube if you search "beyond.ca claw"

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=beyond.ca+claw&search_type=&aq=f

priceygolfnut
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Finboy,
You probably wouldn't! It goes on for 40 minutes about techie stuff, free stuff and trust stuff and I'm reading most of it.
I'd post it anyway, but YT only allows 10 minute chunks now!

BerserkerCatSplat
07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Let is know if/when you upload the rest of the presentation, I'd like to see it. I also know some people in the musical education field that would be interested as well.

JordanAndrew
07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Lmao Jordan he says it like you were shitting yourself out of excitement. So awesome. I am pretty sure beyond.ca is officially the best forum ever. Soon we will see the 08 bashing and BMW comments along with $95 lunches turn up on forums all over the field.

Fuckin' 08s

shitting myself with excitement eh? HAHA well that's pretty much what got me out of my house 2:30am in the morning so yeah he's pretty much right. It was exciting!

JordanAndrew
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by priceygolfnut
Time to 'fess up:

My name's David Price, and I'm the guy in the You Tube video. I have to say, first off, this has been a great thread to follow, not just for the ego-boost (all compliments are much appreciated!) but also because it made me laugh, as this forum frequently does.

I'm a little reluctant to talk about myself, but you guys are wondering and there are a few corrections to be made, so here goes. The talk was given about 3 weeks ago, not at a University or college, but at a conference of music educators, in Leeds. (So not Canada, but I don't need to tell people where Calgary is..) I'm a freelance arts (mainly music) and education consultant, and I speak about how divorced schooling is becoming from the actual lives of young people (I also lead projects, if you're interested check out www.musicalfutures.org)

As you guessed I'm not the David Price from the Wiki entry, and with my strong North-Eastern accent, they would NEVER let me in to Eton!! Although I used to work in a university, it was one set up by Paul McCartney, and so it was the only one I could get into with my resume!

My 20 yr old son first alerted me to what happened with the Claw thread, and I thought that this was an amazing thing. As someone pm'd me today, the way in which information and interests get shared so quickly today is far more significant than the way the media portray it. After the YT clip ends I show the CTV clip, where the police warn people off from getting TOO involved, and I say that they totally missed the point. You all did it because you could, and this will be happening more and more, around the world, because we now have the tools. School is now the only time when younger people AREN'T connected, so if it used to be boring when I went to school (and was it ever boring) it seems completely irrelevant to many young people now, and we have to stop tinkering with education, but radically transform it. (I speak about this at greater length at this link: http://www.thersa.org/events/past_events/outside-in-rethinking-schooling---informal-learning-in-school but it lasts 40 minutes, so don't feel you have to.... I'll be posting some more clips up on You Tube, and on my web-site when I finally get around to doing it.

I can't tell you what a kick I got from hearing from the actual people who I mentioned in the clip. Don't underestimate the significance of what you stand for, and what you achieved - a million people in two days is Tay Zonday territory! Of course I realise my little contribution is nothing to the scale of the original, but the way in which you spread stuff around made me want to not post for fear of killing the virus (I need the publicity!). But I just wanted to say thanks at this point - I'll be using this story for a LONG time!

I can't believe you're finally posting on this forum after somebody posted your youtube video. It really brings a whole new meaning ofthe saying "what a small world we live in".

rmk
07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome David! :clap:

Moe Man
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
haha that is crazy, it is weird watching beyond move up from when it had 248 people to what it has become now.

proud to be a member:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Man how come I never had profs and instructors as cool as you??...

badatusrnames
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for signing up and sharing your perspectives David, a large proportion of us on here are students or are recent graduates and your perspective on education sounds very refreshing!

An OBE for your services to music education no less!

And thank you for bringing our story to a new audience
:thumbsup:

anarchy
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the board and what an excellent presentation. It was definitely entertaining one for us here!

mark4091
07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
It's amazing how famous beyond's getting from the claw. Welcome to the forums!

syeve
07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome David.

Another great thread!

:thumbsup:

Donmega
07-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Sweet find!!! Welcome to Beyond :) If you keep your eye on the General Car/Bike section, there are some pretty good sleuths in there continuously helping forum members find their stolen cars.

Beyond CSI is where it's at

banned3x
07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
welcome david!! cool shit