PDA

View Full Version : Why i never made it to the track Friday...

88CRX
08-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Well well.... i think i may be done with this car :banghead: went to pick up a friend to head out to the track and race. Pull up turn the car off... as im waiting for him to come out... i hear the infamous overflow tank boiling.. god dam :guns: :guns: yes another head gasket (i think, not sure)

You guys may not know but i just replaced the d15 engine with a zc because the head gasket went on the d15 and wasnt worth fixing.... and now this.

So what do you guys thing? Head gasket for sure :dunno: it isnt overheating..... but the engine compartment is getting very hot, no heat or very little if im lucky.... the overflow tank cap almost feels like the thread is stripped, does the cooling system need to be able to hold pressure? btw... oil isnt milky and doesnt seem to have droped at all.

Hash_man
08-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I had the same problem in my Accord, you probably just need a new Radiator cap. I did, and it cost me $7 for a new one, and haven't had a problem since.

88CRX
08-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
I had the same problem in my Accord, you probably just need a new Radiator cap. I did, and it cost me $7 for a new one, and haven't had a problem since.

ok.... ill give that a try.... and if your right, your my hero.

should i just get a crappy tire special? and how can i tell it thats the problem for sure

James
08-30-2003, 06:04 PM
that could be alot of things, i would think the head gasket is the last thing to replace, could be you need a new fan/hoses, my step dads tempo started doing that and it was the fan/thermostat....go with the cap first! :dunno:

Hash_man
08-30-2003, 06:08 PM
ok.... ill give that a try.... and if your right, your my hero.

should i just get a crappy tire special? and how can i tell it thats the problem for sure

I am almost 100% sure that it is the problem. From how you describe it, it seems just like my problem i had.

And yeah... Just come down to Partsource and get a Motomaster one, or whatever the hell it is.

88CRX
08-30-2003, 07:34 PM
ok... just got one. now what? there is no heat from the heater... none at all. could the last head gasket blow up plugged or messed up the heater core? would that have anything to do with the overflowing coolant?

JustinL
08-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Check your coolant levels. The cooling system needs to be sealed. That's why it steams and boils over when you take the cap off a hot car. So it sounds like you have a coolant leak. Try bleeding the system as well, you could just have a gigantic bubble in there.

Is there any sweet white smoke coming out the exhaust?

Justin

88CRX
08-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JustinL
Check your coolant levels. The cooling system needs to be sealed. That's why it steams and boils over when you take the cap off a hot car. So it sounds like you have a coolant leak. Try bleeding the system as well, you could just have a gigantic bubble in there.

Is there any sweet white smoke coming out the exhaust?

Justin

no smoke at all.... collant leak? no... i didnt loose coolant till it boiled over.

so if there is a massive bubble, then i wont have any heat, i understand that.... but why would it boil over :dunno:

dj_honda
08-30-2003, 08:00 PM
just do a whole coolant tune up...replace the rad cap, thermostat, flush the radiator, etc. check the hoses.....make sure when you flush you get the coolant that is still in the block etc. also see if your radiator is still good. tehn if all that stuff doesnt fix it, then go to head gasket. also, how often have you flushed your coolant? i flush it twice a year....

88CRX
08-30-2003, 08:45 PM
alright.... i just poped the rad cap and let it run for 10 mins... lots of bubbles :D but then it started to overflow out of the rad cap, should it do this after 10 minutes or so with the heat of high?

btw.... i now also have heat :D

Hash_man
08-31-2003, 02:02 AM
I dunno, all I had to do is replace the cap, and top up the fluid.. And I had the same problem as you.

BigMass
08-31-2003, 09:50 AM
keep the cap off and run the car with the heater on HIGH for 10-15min. That should get rid of all the bubles. The coolant will boil if there are bubles because the system is not under pressure. The more pressure you add to the system, the higher the boiling point of the coolant is raised. I think that is your problem and it should be an easy fix.

88CRX
08-31-2003, 11:19 AM
so should i turn it off when the fluid is about to overflow out of the rad.... after runing for maybe 10 minutes?

cause i ran it some bubbles came out.... then the fluid level started to rise

crxcel
09-01-2003, 10:54 AM
usually bubbles after 10min are not good. I would say head gasket. I must say I am becoming a master at changing them myself

BigMass
09-01-2003, 11:01 AM
some fluid will spill out that's normal. If it bubbles and fluid comes out that's a good sign because it means that was probably the problem. Once no more bubbles come out then you're done. I would leave it for 10-15min just to be safe and certain