PDA

View Full Version : To the users of the mckenzie towne traffic circle

Pages : [1] 2

civicrider
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
it seems like every time i go into this traffic circle theres some dip shit who doesn't know how to use it but thinks he does, and honks at the few who are driving though it correctly, so for all you dumb fucks read this before making your way
though again, i hope one of these idiots hits me so i can rip em out!!!
:banghead:
:banghead:

http://www.calgaryarea.com/se/mckenziearea/mckenzietowne/trafficcircle/traffic.htm

teg_boya
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
was it really necessary to put the the?

JRSC00LUDE
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Was it really necessary to put the boya?

civicrider
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
i was in a rush, fixed

Euro_Trash
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by teg_boya
was it really necessary to put the the?

Speech impediment

teg_boya
07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Was it really necessary to put the boya?

87s :rolleyes:

avishal26
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
As far as I know, when I did my drivers test a few years ago, at the traffic circle, you only stay in the right lane if you're taking the first exit... otherwise.. stay on the left lane. A sign was posted to this effect a few years back at the traffic circle... don't know why they took it off. :banghead:

SOOOO Many people fuck it up and I've seen a lot of close calls. For some reason.. more than half of the people doing it wrong seem to be in big pickups with no care in the world for other drivers on the road.

I live in McKenzie lake btw...so I'm at the circle a lot... SMARTEN UP PEOPLE!

revelations
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Call the CPS traffic guys and ask them to sit there.... that way they can fill their 20 ticket/day quota in about 1/2 hour !

avishal26
07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Call the CPS traffic guys and ask them to sit there.... that way they can fill their 20 ticket/day quota in about 1/2 hour !

:rofl: :rofl:

1-Bar
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
lol....I was wondering when this thread would appear. Everytime I go to church someone always messes it up.....lucky I'm going to church :guns: :guns: :guns:

civicrider
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
the one time id love the cops is if they say there and actually tagged people misusing the circle, but i think i have seen cops going around on the outside as well.

88CRX
07-08-2008, 01:10 PM
That MacTown traffic circle is so full of FAIL that city/community planners have gone ahead and started adding them to every damn community.

Sweet :thumbsup:

84 318i
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
After using traffic circles in Africa (notably in ex-brit colonies like Kenya) I've come to appreciate just how placid traffic circles are here.

DannyO
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I dunno how people screw up on them, there soo simple, and the one in MT is the most basic you can get plus its never busy, I wish there was more of them cos I think there great, but it would just cause more problems, about every 3rd time I go round it there is someone coming in thats not doing it right and you can predict what there gonna do wrong, if you didn't predict it I'd have been in about 30+ accidents by now including City buses.

4way FTL
Roundabout FTW

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by avishal26
As far as I know, when I did my drivers test a few years ago, at the traffic circle, you only stay in the right lane if you're taking the first exit... otherwise.. stay on the left lane. A sign was posted to this effect a few years back at the traffic circle... don't know why they took it off. :banghead:

SOOOO Many people fuck it up and I've seen a lot of close calls. For some reason.. more than half of the people doing it wrong seem to be in big pickups with no care in the world for other drivers on the road.

Well, here's the problem. I live in McKenzie Towne so I am at the circle every single day, sometimes several times a day. As you describe above, in the first paragraph, is ideally how it should be used. And it is a great guideline for the dumbfucks who use the circle.

BUT...

The reality is that you can use the right lane, and drive all the way around passing several exits until the one you want - and some [stupid fucking] people do this - the problem is that these [stupid fucking] people doing this seem to lack the understanding that since they are being dumbfucks, they must YIELD to all traffic on the inside lane that wishes to exit - and they don't.

Occasionally during heavy traffic periods, entering the circle in the left lane backs way the fuck up. I will very often then go into the circle entering in the right lane (often without having to even stop!). I like to do this, because then I get to show the MORON at the front they are holding up all the traffic because they are too god damn timid to enter the cirlce and that they are stupid - and that other people can easily get into the circle using the same space, and thusly proving they are in fact stuipd. <smile> BUT, what I really like to do, is then use the RIGHT lane to go past the first exit and exit at the second exit - quite often the dumbfucks who are waiting to enter the circle at the exit I pass honk their horns. These people are known to me as the super fucking stupid morons. Yes, I'm now being aggressive because the traffic circle is littered with dumbfucks, but I am totally in the right [pun intended] to do this providing I yield to someone already in the circle and wishing to exit at the first exit I passed. (I never have to yield, because normally I just wouldn't enter at that time if I knew I was gonna have to nail the brakes right away) For what it is worth, I never drive around the right lane of the cirlce. I only do what I described above when morons fail to enter the cirlce and the lane gets backed way the fuck up. If I were going more than 2 exits, I'd wait in the left lane - or I'd just enter in the right lane and switch lanes in the circle if I am being super duper impatient.

Also, it is perfectly legitimate to enter the circle in the left lane, and exit IMMEDIATELY. It is wiser ofcourse to use the right lane, and exit immediately. But, if you happen to be one of the dumbfucks who likes to drive all around the outside of the circle, and you enter at the same time as someone in the inside lane and they decide to exit IMMEDIATELY, it is the dumber of the dumbfucks in the outside lane that must yield to the person who is exiting from the left lane.

I see people enter from the right lane, and go straight to the left inside the circle like it's only one lane. I see people exit from the left lane to the right lane. I see people who do not yield to those who are in the left lane. It's just an absolute circus of stupidity all day long, every single day. What I'd really like to see is a team of cops sit there and issue unsafe lane change tickets, failure to yield tickets, etc all fucking day long. Cuz with the stupid people using that circle, I'd bet they could issue $100,000 worth of tickets every single day.

In summation, I concur, the people using the circle pretty much have no fucking clue how to use it. :dunno:

People in the inside lane have absolute right of way over everybody. People in the right lane must YIELD to those who are already in the circle, but have absolute right of way over those who are waiting to enter the circle. End of story.

My favorite type of accident is when someone enters in the RIGHT lane to exit immediately. Someone already in the circle, in the LEFT lane exits at this exit and either cuts this other person off, or hits them and actually believes they aren't at fault. If you are in the inside lane, you don't switch lanes as you exit for this exact reason - you become a dumbfuck - and hit someone who actually knows how to use the circle. If you are in the inside lane, you exit in the left lane, not the right. *MORONS*

cet
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM

In the UK and mainland Europe they work a bit differently. If you are in the right lane you can either turn right OR go straight. If you are in the left lane you can go straight or turn left.

The biggest problem I find with roundabouts in Calgary is that nobody uses their signal to let other people know where the fuck they are going.

Euro_Trash
07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Just curious, I hear of lots of "close calls", but for those who live in the area, are fender benders actually quite common?

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
DannyO - there are times (rush hour) when the line up to enter the circle from the main entrance is 50+ cars long. Every single day, it will be like this...quite often backup is half the length of the entrance from from the circle to Deerfoot trail. That's a long ways.

Because of this, people exiting the community often can't get into the circle, because whenever there is a space, it gets filled non-stop by the queue of cars coming from Deerfoot.

Thus, I sometimes bypass the left lane and go in the right when I am exiting the neighbourhood. When I come in, I want the first exit anyhow, so I am always in the right lane and that long ass line in the left doesn't bother me at all.

civicrider
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
yeah i have no problem if people use the outside lane, but no one does correctly, never have i had someone yield to me when i am on the inside, they usually slam on their brakes and honk at me thinking in the dip shit

Europe is a different story, the people entering generally have the right of way

Kona9
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
On an extremely minimal scale, you should see the retards that don't understand the tiny ones behind Western Canada high on Royal avenue. YIELD DOES NOT MEAN STOP!! Use the damn zipper effect!!

cet
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by civicrider

Europe is a different story, the people entering generally have the right of way

You have that backwards. In Europe the people already in the roundabout always have right of way over the people entering.

blownz
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
That traffic circle is so entertaining everytime I am down there. I have actually sometimes exited earlier than I planned to just because I have noticed someone coming around the outside and I want to give them a bit of a scare. lol

CLiVE
07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by cet

You have that backwards. In Europe the people already in the roundabout always have right of way over the people entering.

Not in France. The people on the right entering usually have the right of way. People in the circle must yeild to them.

However when I lived in South America the rules/law were the same as posted where the people already in the traffic circle have the right of way.

avishal26
07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
On an extremely minimal scale, you should see the retards that don't understand the tiny ones behind Western Canada high on Royal avenue. YIELD DOES NOT MEAN STOP!! Use the damn zipper effect!!

HAHAHA... I don't think there is a simpler roundabout in the world. There are only two ways you can go.. lol

As far as the roundabout in McKenzie is concerned... I agree.. during rush hour it gets ridiculously packed because of the steady stream of cars coming from deerfoot. Not everyone has the courage to merge in to the circle as soon as there is abig enough gap for one car. Some people are just not good at it just like how some people are not good at left turns at a light... there's no way around it. (no pun intended :D) I guess we just have to put up with it. I usually try to avoid that area during rush hour.. thank god I live in McKenzie Lake and not town (or is it Towne)..

@ 'cet'... what you said does make more sense about using the right lane to go straight or turn right and using the left lane to turn left or go straight. However, the circle in Mckenzie town has 5 roads coming to meet lol... talk about a big mess during rush hour.

And as far as being legal to use the right hand lane to go all the way around the circle.. I think its just stupid. I don't care if you're supposed to yield or not.. its just not right to do it that way at an intersection with 5 streets meeting each other.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
And as far as being legal to use the right hand lane to go all the way around the circle.. I think its just stupid. I don't care if you're supposed to yield or not.. its just not right to do it that way at an intersection with 5 streets meeting each other.

It's totally legit but no one actually yields. They just drive around the right lane like they own the fucking road. Which is why it's NOT OK!

People who do this get extremely high up on my STUPIDEST FUCKING PEOPLE-O-METER.

civicrider
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Not in France. The people on the right entering usually have the right of way. People in the circle must yeild to them.

However when I lived in South America the rules/law were the same as posted where the people already in the traffic circle have the right of way.

yeah i was referring to France

cet
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

It's totally legit but no one actually yields. They just drive around the right lane like they own the fucking road. Which is why it's NOT OK!

People who do this get extremely high up on my STUPIDEST FUCKING PEOPLE-O-METER.

I hope you are being scarcastic. If not, where did you learn that? It's completly wrong. The right lane is used for turning right or going straight through.

Here is the City's page on how to use a roundabout.
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_230_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Transportation/Transportation+Planning/Transportation+Solutions/Roundabouts/Roundabouts.htm

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not being sarcastic. Your post is a little confusing.

You must be one of those dumbfucks who doesn't know how to use a traffic circle.

I'm not saying it's smart, or it should be done at all in fact. But it is totally legit and proper providing you yield to the inside lane. You can drive around the circle in the RIGHT lane all day long if you want.

Stupid '08.

CLiVE
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm not saying it's smart, or it should be done at all in fact. But it is totally legit and proper providing you yield to the inside lane. You can drive around the circle in the RIGHT lane all day long if you want.

Stupid '08.

Correct.

"It is recommended that for safety, entry into the right hand lane of traffic circle be used mainly when intending to exit at the first available exit point. If you are intending to proceed beyond the second exit, it is recommended that you use the left hand lane."

Recommended, but doesn't mean you can't stay in the right lane.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I know I'm right. And I think I know what cet is trying to say. (Sort of) The problem is that it IS totally OK to use the right lane to drive around and around and around and around passing as many exits as you feel like. The problem lies in the fact that people who do this [are stupid] don't YIELD to cars wishing to exit. Something they must do at EVERY SINGLE EXIT! Instead, they just drive around the right lane cutting exiting people off at every single exit.

It's so god damn annoying!

cet
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not being sarcastic.

You must be one of those dumbfucks who doesn't know how to use a traffic circle.

I'm not saying it's smart, or it should be done at all in fact. But it is totally legit and proper providing you yield to the inside lane.

Stupid '08.

Ahhh the good old "Stupid '08" retort.

Here, since you are either too lazy or ignorant to look I've copied some information from the city's page for you:

Turning Right at a Roundabout

1. Begin in the right travel lane.
2. Use the right hand turn signal as you approach the intersection.
3. As you approach the roundabout, yield to the circulating traffic.

Turning Left at the Roundabout
Please find below the instructions on how to turn left at the roundabout.

1. Start in the left lane.
2. As you approach the roundabout, yield to the circulating traffic.
3. Keeping to the left lane, you will pass two exiting lanes: the right turn and the through.
4. After passing the second exit, use the right turn hand signal and exit right at the desired street

Driving Straight Through a Roundabout

1. Begin in the right or left travel lane.
2. As you approach a roundabout, yield to the circulating traffic.
3. The first exit opportunity will be the right turn. Keep to your chosen travel lane and continue circulating.
4. Keeping to the same travel lane you were in when you entered the roundabout use the right turn hand signal and take the second exiting opportunity.

Notice that in the "Turning Left at the Roundabout" section it says start in the LEFT lane.

Here is is another page from Montana detailing how to use a roundabout:

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/roundabouts/motor_vehicle.shtml

When Turning Right:
1. Use only the right-hand approach lane, unless otherwise posted.
2. Keep to the outside of the circulatory roadway while driving in the roundabout.
3. If there are multiple exit lanes, use the right-hand exit lane.

When Going Straight Ahead:
1. Use either approach lane, unless otherwise posted.
2. Maintain your position relative to other vehicles. Stay to the inside of the circulatory roadway if you entered from the left approach lane, or stay to the outside if you entered from the right approach lane.
3. As you exit the roundabout, look out for vehicles traveling on the outside of the circulatory roadway that may continue to circulate around the roundabout.

When Turning Left or Making a U-Turn:
1. Use only the left-hand approach lane, unless otherwise posted.
2. Maintain your position relative to other vehicles. Stay to the inside of the circulatory roadway until you are ready to exit.
3. As you exit the roundabout, look out for vehicles traveling on the outside of the circulatory roadway that may continue to circulate around the roundabout.

Looks to me like it's the same as the instructions the city gave. So, apparently you are the douchebag that thinks he is using the roundabout properly when in fact you have no clue.

avishal26
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I wish that city of calgary website would broaden its directions for using roundabouts for more than 4 streets... because THERE IS NO STRAIGHT when you enter McKenzie Towne traffic circle GODAMMIT!!!!!!:banghead:

analbumcover
07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
hey fags in mckenzie towne, i just moved here and im wondering why the fuck i got a bill for living in the community, what are the benefits of all the shit they claim its paying for?

didnt think i should make a new thread about it

avishal26
07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
hey fags in mckenzie towne, i just moved here and im wondering why the fuck i got a bill for living in the community, what are the benefits of all the shit they claim its paying for?

didnt think i should make a new thread about it

You get that in every community.. except maybe forest lawn :D ... so suck it up.

And I don't live in McKenzie Towne per say so I won't take offense to your fag comment.

ekguy
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't see why that place is so hard to navigate for most. It's so simple a chimpanzee could do it.

analbumcover
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I don't see why that place is so hard to navigate for most. It's so simple a chimpanzee could do it.

Your sophisticated girlfriend is so simple a "chimpanzee" could do it

cet
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I wish that city of calgary website would broaden its directions for using roundabouts for more than 4 streets... because THERE IS NO STRAIGHT when you enter McKenzie Towne traffic circle GODAMMIT!!!!!!:banghead:

Generally you use the right lane for the first or second exit and the left lane for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. exits.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I know exactly how to use the cirlce - clearly, since all you are doing is posting information which is actually talking about a round-about with 4 exits. All that information is absolutely correct. No argument from me. It is also applicable to how the circle should be used in this instance, which has 5 exits. (though obviously not totally accurate since we have more than 4 exits!)

What we are saying is people do not actually follow those instructions. People instead exit to what your reference material would consider LEFT, and the exit which we'll call EXTREME LEFT, since we have more than just the 4 entrances and exits. They do this when entering from the RIGHT lane. As opposed to what your reference material recommends, which is an entrance from the left lane. The material posted is how it should be done. But it's NOT always done that way, because we have stupid people in our world. Until you understand this, you're staying on my stupid people list. Hope that is OK with you.

I suggest you read this and understand what we are actually talking about.

WHICH IS...IN BIG LETTERS...

PEOPLE WHO WANT TO EXIT AT THE *FOURTH EXIT* (IN REAL LIFE!) WILL ENTER IN THE RIGHT LANE, DRIVE AROUND THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN CIRCLE IN THE RIGHT LANE, FAILING TO YIELD (WHEN THEY SHOULD) AND THEN EXIT AT THE VERY LAST EXIT. THIS IS TOTALLY LEGITIMATE, BUT TOTALLY STUPID BECAUSE THEY DON'T FUCKING YIELD TO CARS EXITING FROM THE INNER LANE (AT EVERY SINGLE EXIT) LIKE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO!

What they should do, is enter in the left lane, and proceed normally until they get to their exit, and then exit. All the while having the right of way and not being required to yield to anyone after they are in the circle.

Do you understand now?

What we are talking about (SEE BIG LETTERED STUFF) also is not something I do. It is something that stupid people do. And unfortunately it's totally legit - and we are in fact bitching about it because people do it and shouldn't. I hope this is clear. If it is not clear, you are even stupider than I thought, and you should go off yourself so that one brain cell you have doesn't die of being alone.

The reality is very obvious to me. I have a tonne of experience with this circle. Have posted absolutely nothing that is incorrect. You have no experience with this circle, and have also posted nothing that is incorrect. Other than that you fail to understand that people CAN and DO exit LEFT and EXTREME LEFT when entering from the god damn RIGHT lane! AND, they do so NOT YIELDING in their stupidity, which they MUST do at each exit!

Edited for spelling and some mean stuff.

cet
07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
You and I now seem to be saying the exact same thing. The right lane is used for exiting at the first two exits.

What I took exception to is this

The reality is that you can use the right lane, and drive all the way around passing several exits until the one you want - and some [stupid fucking] people do this - the problem is that these [stupid fucking] people doing this seem to lack the understanding that since they are being dumbfucks, they must YIELD to all traffic on the inside lane that wishes to exit - and they don't.

I understand that many people do this because they don't know how to use a roundabout. However it is aginst the traffic rules to do so.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
OK, I'm glad you're up to speed now. Hahahahahah...

BUT...

It's not against the traffic rules to do as these people do providing they are yielding. You can drive around in the right hand lane all frickin' day if you want.

cet
07-08-2008, 03:21 PM
That's where you and I are differing.
I am pretty sure it is. Any of the reference material I posted mentions that the right lane is only to be used for turning right or going straight (ie. the first two exits). Whether it is a ticketable offence I don't know.

I think we both agree that it's not the best thing to do.

avishal26
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM

I suggest you read this and understand what we are actually talking about.

WHICH IS...IN BIG LETTERS...

PEOPLE WHO WANT TO EXIT AT THE *FOURTH EXIT* (IN REAL LIFE!) WILL ENTER IN THE RIGHT LANE, DRIVE AROUND THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN CIRCLE IN THE RIGHT LANE, FAILING TO YIELD (WHEN THEY SHOULD) AND THEN EXIT AT THE VERY LAST EXIT. THIS IS TOTALLY LEGITIMATE, BUT TOTALLY STUPID BECAUSE THEY DON'T FUCKING YIELD TO CARS EXITING FROM THE INNER LANE (AT EVERY SINGLE EXIT) LIKE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO!

What they should do, is enter in the left lane, and proceed normally until they get to their exit, and then exit. All the while having the right of way and not being required to yield to anyone after they are in the circle.

EXACTLY!! lol That's what I've been trying to say all along.

PS Z_Fan - 'Stupider' is not a word :D

avishal26
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover for ekguy

Your sophisticated girlfriend is so simple a &quot;chimpanzee&quot; could do it

Owned!!! :rofl:

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
EXACTLY!! lol That's what I've been trying to say all along.

PS Z_Fan - 'Stupider' is not a word :D

God dammit!

Kids these days!!!!!!!!!! Think they frickin' know everything. Arrggh!!!

Stupider is actually a word. Ok, I'm not just saying that either. I'm also not going to use the defense that I was typing fast and decided it was gonna be a word because I wanted it to be a word. I'm also not trying to start another argument when we are actually all in agreement.

So, therefore, Stupider IS A WORD. It is a god damn adjective of the word stupid and I'm just going to leave it at that. Ok, and if you don't like it, in McKenzie Towne, stupider is a word!!!

Driving around the outside of the circle is stupider than driving in the proper lane.

Saying stupider is not a word could possible be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Now, I'm no english expert, but did I just use two variations of stupid as adjectives? English majors, please come forth and help us with this!!!

AFAIK, stupider and stupidest are adjectives of the word stupid.

Ok, like stupidly quick is also a word and I can't believe the stupidness of this post would also be correct. What are those? Adverbs? Or is one an adverb and the other a noun. Whatever.

In conclusion, stupider is a word. As long as the United States exists, stupider will continue to be a word. Ok...I'm out.

:D

kenny
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
^^ I'm nominating that for post of the year 2008 :D

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh, the stupidity!

avishal26
07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
lol @ Z_Fan.. your post just made my day.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Good to hear. It contained zero percent sarcasm. :rolleyes:

*AND*

Now you can use the word stupider and know it's really really really a word.

Anyone who you disagree with no longer has to be more stupid. They can just be stupider! Life is great.

Grogador
07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
"H must yield to G" (http://www.calgaryarea.com/se/mckenziearea/mckenzietowne/trafficcircle/traffic.htm) is fun, I should visit and rip up the inside lane, waiting for an SUV driver on his cellphone to t-bone me, new car ftw.

Try this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_eng.svg/565px-Swindon_Magic_Roundabout_eng.svg.png
http://www.seanyboy.co.uk/images/roundabout.jpg

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
^^ LOL

They should put one of those in Calgary. We'd have people killing people every single day!

avishal26
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
^ Damn... you beat me to it.. I was gonna say the exact same thing

1slow7
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
haha, my boss hunts people down in that traffic circle, for some reason it completely infuriates him when people dont know how to use it....

teg_boya
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
^^^ i bet the devil laughs to himself every night thinking of that traffic circle

g-m
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I agree, the police should patrol traffic circles regularly.
They are really efficient traffic devices, we have an absolutely HORRIBLE traffic system here in North America. All this room and we can't even really beat efficiencies seen in cities built before our continent was settled.
We need more traffic circles but in order for it to be effective, we need better education.
Also this whole pedestrian has the right of way thing is ridiculous. Only in north america are people so devoid of self-preservation we need laws requiring cars to stop from speed when some idiot walks into the middle of the road.

I actually had a guy kick my door when I honked at him for standing in the middle of 11th ave between streets during traffic flow in the middle of the day!

403Gemini
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by g-m
They are really efficient traffic devices, we have an absolutely HORRIBLE traffic system here in North America. All this room and we can't even really beat efficiencies seen in cities built before our continent was settled.
We need more traffic circles but in order for it to be effective, we need better education.
Also this whole pedestrian has the right of way thing is ridiculous. Only in north america are people so devoid of self-preservation we need laws requiring cars to stop from speed when some idiot walks into the middle of the road.

I actually had a guy kick my door when I honked at him for standing in the middle of 11th ave between streets during traffic flow in the middle of the day!

Agree

Traffic circles are awesome, when you're driving them with people who know how to use them.

avishal26
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by g-m

wow... I would've gotten out and beat the shit outta him if it had been me.. I don't take kindly to people kicking my car.. or hitting it with their door when parked near me.. or falling on it even if its accidental

After driving regularly 3 , 4 times a day for the past 3 months in calgary.. I'm seriously considering keeping a baseball bat with me always... and I don't even like baseball :whipped:

old&slow
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by g-m

Do you really think the cops know the law in the case? Talk to three cops and get three opinions!!

Black Gts
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
They tried to simplify traffic circles in Edmonton. They added lights:rofl: :rofl:
If you dont know what I am talking about get mapquest to tell you how to get to St. Albert or Westlock which is what I was doing. It told me to turn at a traffic circle which I could not find haha.

Daan
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
you just proved to be one of them

As you describe above, in the first paragraph, is ideally how it should be used

[..]what I really like to do, is then use the RIGHT lane to go past the first exit and exit at the second exit [..] bla bla

pf0sh0
07-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Some people know how to drive aroudn the traffic circle there, it isn't that bad, you do get the often jack ass who rides the outside lane all the way around

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Daan
you just proved to be one of them

Nah that is normal if you read the suggested usages, but even that is silly IMO. I only do that when stupider people are preventing normal left lane entry into the circle.

I never go more than two exits, and rarely do I ever even do that. Like I already said. The vast majority of the time I just use the circle like it should be used for maximum efficiency.

When I do that, I do it knowing what I am doing, and I will yield if necessary. Unlike most of the morons, who do this and go as many exits as they feel like, not yielding, and not even knowing they are being complete dorks.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the custom title! Not exactly what I would pick if I were doing it myself. But hey! It's better than beyond pedophile.

Hopefully some people actually looked stupider up and realize it is a word. LOL!

finboy
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
we have the single lane traffic circles on my block, i can't count the number of times i've almost been t-boned and honked when i had right of way.

and as per stupider:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Stupider

avishal26
07-08-2008, 10:30 PM
hahaha... well I'll be damned.

I guess you learn something new everyday :rofl:

rmk
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
lol @ the custom title

Jay911
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
For what it's worth, traffic circle/roundabout ineptitude is not restricted to people in McKenzie Towne.

The intersection of Hwy 8 x Hwy 22 was "upgraded" to a roundabout in the winter. It's a single lane, 30m radius roundabout. There are great big geezus chicanes built into the road leading up to the circle, ostensibly to slow you down to the ridiculous 70kph posted speed ~500m out from the circle and 40kph posted speed ~250m out. And despite all the signs instructing traffic to yield ONLY when traffic is present in the circle, you have invariably one of two situations. One, the tool that comes to a complete grinding halt at the mouth of the inroad and holds there for 5-10 seconds before timidly venturing into the circle. Two, the assclown that slows down to about 85kph before barging into the circle regardless of what traffic if any is in his path.

This was supposed to reduce crashes at this intersection. I'm on the FD that responds to this area, and we go to just as many crashes now as we used to at the intersection - including one in the early spring where somebody blasted through the intersection, took air off the 8" tall curb surrounding the (unfinished) center area, rolled end over end once through the center, and landed on its wheels on the opposite side, hitting 2 or 3 other cars coming the opposite way.

Z_Fan
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
hahaha... well I'll be damned.

I guess you learn something new everyday :rofl:

I figured you didn't google it right away. So I was having a good laugh at your expense. I figured eventually you would google it, or someone would post the definition and then you'd be like...

*SURPRISE!*

:poosie:

kenny
07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Jay911
This was supposed to reduce crashes at this intersection. I'm on the FD that responds to this area, and we go to just as many crashes now as we used to at the intersection - including one in the early spring where somebody blasted through the intersection, took air off the 8&quot; tall curb surrounding the (unfinished) center area, rolled end over end once through the center, and landed on its wheels on the opposite side, hitting 2 or 3 other cars coming the opposite way.

Aside from that crazy crash, have the severity of the crashes been reduced? I've driven through that intersection before the traffic circle, and some drivers have terrible speed judgement and narrowly escape t-bone accidents.

Jay911
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
To tell you the truth, I don't recall any crashes involving major injuries at that intersection. The closest that comes is a "block" away in each direction - a semi vs 5-ton truck vs car at the township road just north of the river bridge, in which both truck drivers died; and a semi vs SUV at the range road a mile east of the intersection, where two high school kids died. The only other memorable crash before or after the roundabout installation was a vanload of people who tried to take the turn at ~80kph a few springtimes ago and flipped into the ditch - one person came out of it with minor lacerations.

Theoretically? You should have significantly less crash damage and injury at a roundabout considering that everyone's going in "one" direction - only rear-enders and sideswipes should be possible. However, we (people in the area) were all worried that the heavy truck traffic using 8 as a short cut into the city would not be able to navigate the 30-meter-radius turn and flip over (since they flip over very often - about once a month - on the much more open turn of the ramp from eastbound 1 to southbound 22, a few miles north). I've only seen 2 trucks get wheels far enough off the roundabout to get stuck so far.

I still think that more driver education is necessary in regards to traffic circles and roundabouts, considering that most people in the province will have never seen them before they were dropped out of nowhere into Edmonton, Calgary, and surrounding area.

Mixalot27
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I drive through the Mckenzie Towne Traffic circle 2 or 3 times a week. I am always going to the extreme left exit so I always take the left hand lane. I swear I could get in an accident at least 75% of the time due to some douche going around in the right lane and not yielding, if I wasn't watching for it and driving defensively. The worst time was when a cop car actually did it to me. No lights or sirens on at the time, didn't even know I was there I don't think. I had to laugh about that one a little bit. I was tempted to honk at him but didn't want to get tasered so I just let it go. :dunno:

avishal26
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

The worst time was when a cop car actually did it to me. No lights or sirens on at the time, didn't even know I was there I don't think. I had to laugh about that one a little bit. I was tempted to honk at him but didn't want to get tasered so I just let it go. :dunno:

Don't confuse the CPS for the RCMP :D

btw.. We made it to the front page news!!

civicrider
07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
wow i am surprised with how this thread took off, so i guess im not the only one, and i noticed theres a write up on it on the main page, maybe enough people will read it and there wont be so many dumb asses who think they know how it works, i was thinking of laminating a huge copy of the "how to use this traffic circle" and posting it at the main entrance of Mckenzie towne.

avishal26
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
^ you might get into trouble for that... but it would be pretty funny if you added to the poster at the bottom and said.. "DON'T SCREW IT UP YOU DUMBFUCKS!"

:rofl:

civicrider
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
meh i will do it at night and hopefully it stays up for awhile

Toms-SC
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the custom title! Not exactly what I would pick if I were doing it myself. But hey! It's better than beyond pedophile.

Hopefully some people actually looked stupider up and realize it is a word. LOL!

No, its not. Seriously.

Dumbass17
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
i used to live right near the circle
sometimes i like to drive around 3 or 4 times in the inner circle and then cut off people on the outside circle to prove a point that they need to take THEIR FIRST EXIT and not keep going around the circle or change lanes IN the circle
idiots

D'z Nutz
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
AFAIK, stupider and stupidest are adjectives of the word stupid.

Stupidest is also the superlative of the word stupid.

I am stupidless than you! :rofl:

Back on topic: how many traffic circles do we have in Calgary anyways?

Z_Fan
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
No, its not. Seriously.

Well, here's what I would have to say about the word stupider. The english language is constantly changing, evolving, and new words are actually created every day. It's why the dictionary is forever being updated.

The fact is stupider, in my honest opinion, is a word I would probably never say in conversation. Simply because it sounds, well, stupid. (And maybe a little childish)

It's probably been around and been used for hundreds of years. Likely as slang, used in instances where someone didn't bother saying more stupid. Which would be proper.

In any case, I'm sure most real (read: snooty) english language sources would denounce the word stupider. But I'm also very sure that in anything that is modern you'll find that they in fact include stupider in the very definition of stupid as an adjective. Which is why that source Finboy posted included it. It's simply because that source has not proscribed the word.

So, at best, I think I would agree that the word is commonly used. (Generally all that is required to eventually have a word added to the language after many many years of use.) And even though it is listed in several dictionaries as valid, and not identified as slang, I'd personally consider it slang. I'm also certain if you search my posts, you will likely only find a couple instances where I have used that word, not out of jest. I guess everyone read posts with their own spin, so interpretation is always open...

Z_Fan
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Source #1:
http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/STUPID

Adjective: stupid (stupider,stupidest) st(y)oopid
Lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity

In a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock
"lay semiconscious, stupid by the blow"; "was stupid from fatigue"
- dazed, stunned, stupefied

Lacking intelligence
- unintelligent
Noun: stupid st(y)oopid
A person who is not very bright
"The economy, stupid!"

Source #2:
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/stupider.html

stu¡Ppid [ stÈÉpəd ] (comparative stu¡Ppi¡Pder, superlative stu¡Ppi¡Pdest)

adjective

Definition:

1. regarded as unintelligent: regarded as showing a lack of intelligence, perception, or common sense
a stupid mistake

2. silly: irritatingly silly or time-wasting
had us playing stupid games

3. adds emphasis: used to express anger, annoyance, or frustration ( informal )
I can't get the stupid thing to work!

4. dazed: in a dazed state, e.g. from shock, fatigue, or the effects of drugs or alcohol
almost stupid with tiredness

Source #3:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stupider
stu¡Ppid
adj. stu¡Ppid¡Per, stu¡Ppid¡Pest
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
n.
A stupid or foolish person.

Source #4:
http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/stupider

(I like this one because it shows that people have been using this word, stupider, for over a hundred years...)

Literary usage of Stupider
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:

1. The Living Age by Making of America Project, Eliakim Littell, Robert S. Littell (1891)
"Well, as flower-show day come nearer an' nearer, she grew stupider an' stupider, an' more an' more given to prayin', an' used to be all for goin' off by ..."

2. Thought and Expression in the Sixteenth Century by Henry Osborn Taylor (1920)
"... including the Doctrinale, a grammar which not all the scholars of that time disapproved.* In ' this way Gargantua was made stupider and stupider. ..."

3. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1845)
"... it was natural that Juno should say he was the stupider of the two when they happened to differ ; or, pace rtn tanti, ..."

4. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1826)
"The Magazine is getting every month stupider and' stupider. I think¡Xthat is, Ebony thinks of reducing the price to two shillings, and augmenting the sheets ..."

There are many more I'm sure. And I'm sure there are many where the word is listed, and then denounced as I found one of those. But I was able to quickly find more that listed it. 83% listed it, 17% proscribed it. K, now I'm done with this stupider business cuz really I don't care. :devil:

Jay911
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't know what is more stupid ... arguing about this, or hijacking a thread on driving, on a car forum, to argue about this.

Z_Fan
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I agree. Especially when I don't care. I was trying to write something funny about it, and I thought I did that, especially with my comment about the U.S.A. in conjunction with the word. And then the debate started. Who fucking cares sums it up. :rolleyes:

In on topic news, I went through the traffic circle today and there weren't any problems. Twice in fact. :D

Eleanor
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Merriam-Webster doesn't recognize stupider as a legitimate word,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupider

The oxford dictionary does however:

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/stupid?view=uk

I thought that was pretty interesting. I agree with Jay911 that probably in proper english it would be more stupid, but really in the end :whocares:

Oh, and the plane will still take off :poosie:

Kind of OT: Why don't they convert that ridiculous traffic circle into one big one? :dunno:

Z_Fan
07-09-2008, 01:53 PM
LOL, so I went to those sites now...as they are big ones.

BUT, from how I interpret things, you're incorrect about Merriam-Webster. It's confusing, but to me it looks as though Merriam-Webster does seem to recognize it. From what I can gather it finds an entry for the word stupider. Listed under main entry of stupid.

Words that are in no way present in their dictionary don't come up at all.

Type in stupiders (which is not a word) and you will see a list of the viable (according to Merriam-Webster) usages of "stupid" which are...

1. stupidest
2. stupider
3. stupidness
4. stupids
5. stupidity
6. stupidly
7. stupidities
8. stupidnesses

Looks like unfortunately D'z Nutz stupidless isn't a word. (no shit!)

I guess until we figure this out, we're all just a bunch of stupids.

But I think if Oxford and Merriam-Webster say it's a word, that's probably good enough as they are companies that will incorporate commonly used words into their dictionary even if they may have started as slang.

Moonracer
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't know why they took the signs down. There is a constant flow of new people moving to the area who aren't going to know how it works. Sure it's in the drivers manual but once someone gets their licence they never look at one ever again. So it's forgotten til this one lonely traffic circle comes along.
I drive through there a couple times a day and experience the same as everyone else. Had several incidences and watched many as well.
Had one dickhead in a pick-up truck, go figure, talking on his cell phone while driving around the outside lane for 3 turnoffs. My turn was coming up so I started honking at him to tell him I was turning pretty quick. So what does he do? Looks over at me like I am disturbing him on the phone and gives me the finger. :banghead: So I turned into him at my turnoff and interrupted his call. :nut:

Z_Fan
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I also wonder why they took the sign down. I think there should be a very large, very permanent sign at the circle. Maybe even a paved pull out on the right so all the stupids can stop and read it.

Eleanor
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
BUT, from how I interpret things, you're incorrect about Merriam-Webster. It's confusing, but to me it looks as though Merriam-Webster does seem to recognize it. From what I can gather it finds an entry for the word stupider. Listed under main entry of stupid.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but it wasn't listed a proper usage of the word stupid on the stupid page :nut:

:rofl: Fuck this is confusing, haha

Z_Fan
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Alright, first my story about the traffic circle from yesterday.

I was leaving, and as I drove up (in the left lane) for entry into the circle, I watched two people enter at the previous entrance in the right lane and proceed past my entrance, and then past the next, and then past the next without ever yielding to those in the left lane. These are the people we so sincerely consider to be stupider than the next.

When I came back home, not more than 15 minutes later, the woman in a Van who entered the circle before me, entered in the right lane (as did I, because I take the first exit) but this women went past the first exit, past the second exit, past the third exit, and yeah, the dumb bitch never yielded (at the first two) because I could still see her - and then in my rearview mirror I see her exit at Prestwick!!! :guns:

See my next post for some exciting news on the word stupider.

Z_Fan
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Here is the content of an e-mail which I sent to the very special people at Merriam-Webster. Keep in mind that these people, and companies like Oxford, ultimately determine which words are in fact acceptable and which words are not really words at all.

My e-mail.

To whom it may concern:

I have a very serious question! So please don't consider this email a joke [as it could easily be construed as such].

I typed in the word "stupider" into your search function and the word was listed, and then it says main entry: stupid.

What I am trying to find out is if Websters considers the word "stupider" to be a valid word. stu-pid-er. As an adjective.

It seems that this word is the subject of [some very serious] debate, as some people denounce the word and consider it invalid. While I see the word used freely instead of using more stupid [which some consider proper]. Please confirm the merriam-webster take on it. I understand it was probably considered slang many years ago, but it seems to definitley be listed on your site. If it is easy information to access, I'd be curious to see when it was considered to in fact be a word (what year) if it is in fact a word.

Sorry, but many of my [esteemed and highly educated] colleagues are not in agreement on this matter and are looking to find resolution.

END OF MY E-MAIL.

The response:

When the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives are regular—that is, add “-er” or “-est” without any change in spelling or pronunciation—we do not include them at the entry. That is why “stupider” is not entered in our dictionary. But it is indeed a word.

I cannot tell you when people first began to use it, but I can say that we have citations of its use dating back to the ‘50s and ‘60s. In 1956 Ernest Hemingway wrote: “In those days, being new to the country, we still shot cheetah. Now, having gotten to know them, I would never kill one, but then we were if not stupider at least more ignorant.” In _Myra Breckinridge_ (1968) Gore Vidal wrote: “…these students are not entirely typical of the nation. They are somewhat stupider than the average….” These quotes should give your argument validity along with the fact that “stupider” is “used freely” today, as you have noted.

Cordially,
Benjamin Korzec
Associate Editor

www.merriam-webster.com
www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com
www.wordcentral.com
www.learnersdictionary.com

END OF MERRIAM-WEBSTER EMAIL

Screen capture: (My e-mail addy blocked out!)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/photodump_2006/Junk/stupider.gif

Resolution: Stupider Is A Word.

^ Custom title for me "Stupider Is A Word"

Thanks! :poosie:

Eleanor
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM

You need a girl mate :poosie: :rofl:

Z_Fan
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Just got one last week.

She's 6 days old now! ;)

I am just defending my theory that stupider is a word, and will continue to be, as I already stated, as long as the United States of America is in existence.

And also, giving some resolution to those who are confused or ignorant of how words are accepted into the language. And this is good enough for me. My public service for the day.

I'm gonna go work on my car now. ;)

civicrider
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
6 days old! you are the super pedo bear

1-Bar
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
this thread needs a title change, something with 'stupider' in it
:thumbsup:

Eleanor
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
6 days old! you are the super pedo bear

I took that as in he had a daughter :dunno:

Awkward......... :rofl:

Z_Fan
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah. New baby girl. Obviously. :rolleyes:

88jbody
07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with z_fan. But If I get into the hate I have for people who cannot properly use a traffic circle I would have a 4 page rant.

but the people who do not understand the difference between yield and merge, people who have no idea how a 4way stop works and what to do at a flashing traffic light. are even worse because they are a very simple concept. and when I Took my road test I was taken through a yield, merge, 4 way stop. so the people getting their licence now are they not given a proper test or are you allowed a few "oops m'bad" on your test now

TACO.VIDAL
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
McKenzie town, Ive been there about 2 times in the past couple of years.

Most people cant use the roundabouts at the bottom of mount royal which im forced to endure daily. I rarely visit the east and between worrying about getting carjacked and trying to find where Im supposed to exit to find the street Im looking for, sorry if Im in the left instead of the right for one extra exit.

TACO.VIDAL
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Question... I havent used my GPS in there...

How does the GPS tell you to navigate the circle?

Jay911
07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Dunno about the McKenzie Towne one, but the one on Hwy 8 x 22 isn't on the GPS maps yet.

I was somewhere where there WAS one that was on the map recently, though - I seem to want to think somewhere in the NW or NE, not Saddletowne either... and basically it was "take next ramp on right to ___".

alloroc
07-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Resolution: Stupider Is A Word.

^ Custom title for me &quot;Stupider Is A Word&quot;

Thanks! :poosie: [/B]

Nice custom title you have now.

finboy
07-12-2008, 02:14 AM
almost t-boned 5 kids in an audi at the last traffic circle in my area, they failed to yield right of way. my neighbor, who's house was hit by a car as result of the traffic circles, is trying to petition the area to have them removed. big money in our area, so who knows, maybe druh farrell will finally take her head out of her ass with these stupid "traffic calming devices"