PDA

View Full Version : taking vehicle registration with you

nj2Type-S
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
With all the cars being stolen lately, I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid. Would it be a good or bad idea to put your vehicle registration and insurance in your wallet as opposed to leaving them in your glove box? What worries me is once someone breaks into a car and steals it, they could go to your house and open it with your garage door opener. I'm curious if anyone here is doing that as a safety precaution.

I'm aware that if you lose your wallet, you'd be screwed, too. But since we've already got our license which contains all sorts of info, i don't know if having your registration/insurance in your wallet would cause more damage, per se, should the wallet get lost.

Irae
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been advised to do that for many years now... for that exact reason.

GQBalla
07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
ive always thought about this too.

so far ive just been leaving my registration and insurance in my car.

I do the same with my bike too..

1-Bar
07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Currently doing it :thumbsup:

Only sux when I lend out my car to someone for a quick trip or to my gf.....lol Just pray they don't get busted, or tell the cops its stolen....:rofl:

em2ab
07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
I leave it in the car, I still don't see the advantage to removing it. If they take your garage door opener, just change the code.

megavolt
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
just change the code.

I think most of the worry is getting your car stolen at work/mall/whatever and the thieves driving directly to your house because they'll be pretty sure you're not home.

spikerS
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
my dad used to do this, until one day i got pulled over and got $200+ in fines for not being able to produce registration and insurance paperwork upon demand of a peace officer.

now, i just hide them in my car. best way to do this is get a magnetic key box, and stick it to the firewall under the dash with the paper work inside.

dannie
07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
That's what happened to one of our old neighbors. They were having dinner, someone broke into their car, took only the registration, drove to their home, opened the garage door, backed in, closed the door and took off with everything out of the house. No one noticed a thing because there was no vehicle in the drive way

If your garage is not attached, I don't think it is something to worry about.

I loan out my vehicles to family, friends and staff; so I wouldn't take the registration and insurance out of any of the cars. The ticket isn't worth it. Plus, the address on my registration and insurance isn't my home. So it isn't much of a worry for me.

Senseiz
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
locking the glove compartment?

friedn00dles
07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
i usually just leave it under the rear passenger's floormat

brown_guy
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Irae
I've been advised to do that for many years now... for that exact reason.

Ya I thought everone knew this???

nj2Type-S
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
i think i'm going to start doing this now, too. locking the glove box may deter thieves but if he's seriously focused on taking your car, he'd find a way, for sure.

Tomaz
07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by spikers
now, i just hide them in my car. best way to do this is get a magnetic key box, and stick it to the firewall under the dash with the paper work inside.

Thanks, now i know where to look!:devil:

I just leave it in the car. If i didn't notice that my car was stolen soon enough to have them caught, i deserve a smack up the head. Plus seems like i have been getting pulled over randomly almost everyday, so i feel sorry for whoever steals my car thinking they can get away with it.

diamondedge
07-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Most attached garages come with a lockable door though. I mean, yeah they get into the garage, but then what?

Kloubek
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Senseiz
locking the glove compartment?

Yeah - because after they break into your car, it is impossible for them to open the glove box! lol

LadyLuck
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
HA!
my car was stolen last week and recovered this monday.
I had everything in the car, registration, insurance, work keys and even my garage opener.

When we found the car everything was left in there, he took my lanyard but left the keys. :dunno:

My insurance and registration has been in my wallet since.

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by diamondedge
Most attached garages come with a lockable door though. I mean, yeah they get into the garage, but then what?

Then they have all the time in the world to open your door to your house.......cause no one will be able to see that they are breaking in when the garage door is closed.

88CRX
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
For you guys that are hidding it on the firewall or in the back under a floor mat what the hell do you do when you get pulled over?

"excuse me officer.... I need to crawl under my dash to grab my insurance papers"

I've always understood that cops don't appreciate you reaching for shit haha.... maybe its not an issue though
:dunno:

spikerS
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
For you guys that are hidding it on the firewall or in the back under a floor mat what the hell do you do when you get pulled over?

"excuse me officer.... I need to crawl under my dash to grab my insurance papers"

I've always understood that cops don't appreciate you reaching for shit haha.... maybe its not an issue though
:dunno:

last time i got pulled over, i just explained it to the officer and the reasoning, and they had no issue with me getting out and grabbing it, and actually commented that it was a pretty good idea.

rice_balls
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
My registration and insurance is always in my pocket when i go out. I never leave it in the car. It'll be a pain in the ass if my car does get broken into and i left my info in there.

I just put them in one of those tiny plastic folders that we used to get from the registration office's.