PDA

View Full Version : RC Cars

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Unknown303
07-08-2008, 08:40 PM
So who on here has an Remote Control Car or any other RCs.

I just picked one up this last weekend and was wondering who else has fallen into this amusing hobby.

Canmorite
07-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I had a Nitro Savage truck for a year. Bloody money pit! I ended up selling it. If I got another one, I'd go electric. One of those mini-trucks look sweet.

Unknown303
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah I picked up the Duratrax Evader electric and its retarded. Already upgraded the engine and now its a bullet. A riot to have out in a field. But it doesn't handle stair sets that well. Keep blowing out a shock.. :dunno:

Canmorite
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Depending on the shocks, you can swap in a higher viscosity oil which will prevent the shocks from bottoming out.

Unknown303
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Did that and it just blows the shock open now and makes the back end a little dirty. I think I need better springs too. It came with soft springs and I'm going to track down hard springs I think.

Canmorite
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I always went to Hobby Guys on 16th ave across from Peters. Smaller shop, but way better service then PM Hobby Craft (From what I experienced).

Unknown303
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah I've noticed the same thing. I deal with both places depending on who has the part in stock.

Thaco
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
what's a good (durable) but cheap (sub $100) electric? wanna get one for my kid for his Bday.

kaishen
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
i just bought a mini indoor rc helicopter recently, crash landed a couple of times and its helicoptor blades broke and i had to tape it up. it was pretty fun..

Canmorite
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
what's a good (durable) but cheap (sub $100) electric? wanna get one for my kid for his Bday.

Toys 'R US. Finding something for < $100 at a specialized hobby store won't be easy.

The Cosworth
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
bought my 18r niteline from PM when Unknown bought his truck.

More of a road car but still hilarious.

Swapped in a Losi Brushless 8200k motor and I figure I can hit 70km/h with the thing. Got it from Hobbyguys, wicked shop BTW.

Just need it to run a bit more consistent.

pic:
http://i12.tinypic.com/5zne5h4.jpg

mine is debadged though

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 06:23 AM

The one I picked up was 99 dollars but it didn't come with a battery, charger, or batteries for the controller. So in the end it was about 200 but the charger was a little better than the base type and my battery also has a fair bit of capacity.

What entertains me is the replacement parts are cheap.

I've already snapped a front control arm which was an easy fix with zip ties until I got the replacement for 4 dollars for a set. Then the other day I clipped a stair set and surgically snapping a rear axle in half. Pair of rear axles 9 dollars.

Like mine but with the upgraded motor it may be twice as fast??? That's purely based on my observations.

UzYx0W0RXgE

Neons4life
07-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Are there any electric RC's that can keep up to some of those nitro's?

dr_jared88
07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Neons4life

I'd have to say yes. I know the fastest RC car was electric for awhile there. Not sure if it still is but you can get some crazy electric motors. They are all rated by power (usually by turns). The lower the turns, the quicker the motor is. I've used an 8 turn electric motor and it was too quick to control well. Unless you are planning to do water driving; I suggest electric all the way! Less money and less maintenance.

EDIT:
Here are just Team Associated two fastest cars.

Team Associated - Nitro TC3 - Capable of speeds up to 134.4 MPH (nitro)
Team Associated - L3 Oval Racer - 111 MPH (electric)

So in this case the Nitro is faster but at that speed it wouldn't mean a damn thing to me! It really matters on the two motors you are comparing though.

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Neons4life

my 1/18th car can get up to 75mph if I get some steering upgrades and a LiPo battery. I have AWD on my car and I can spin all four tires if I give it enough gas.

Also to tune, clean, and run a nitro is a lot more work than my electric. That is why I went this way.

The electric motors I have seen are based on a kv number (not KiloVolt like you would expect) so my motor is 8400kV which means for every 1 volt it will spin at 8400rpm.

I could have gotten a 9200kv motor but I was told in a little car like mine it would be crazy to control. If I were to get a 11.44 battery with a 9200 motor you can rotate that thing at 105,248 rpm which then through gearing is hella fast.

Thaco
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Canmorite

Toys 'R US. Finding something for &lt; $100 at a specialized hobby store won't be easy.

Originally posted by Unknown303

The one I picked up was 99 dollars but it didn't come with a battery, charger, or batteries for the controller. So in the end it was about 200 but the charger was a little better than the base type and my battery also has a fair bit of capacity.

What entertains me is the replacement parts are cheap.

I've already snapped a front control arm which was an easy fix with zip ties until I got the replacement for 4 dollars for a set. Then the other day I clipped a stair set and surgically snapping a rear axle in half. Pair of rear axles 9 dollars.

Like mine but with the upgraded motor it may be twice as fast??? That's purely based on my observations.

Yeah, i know it wont be anything special, i just would like something that would be good for him, doesn't necessarily have to be fast, a 4x4 would be OK, changeable parts would be nice so i don't have to toss it if he breaks something.

My Budget is flexible, I just want the best bang for the buck.

Toms-SC
07-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I've got an RS4 Electric Mini. I also have an RS4 Original. :) I used to belong to the club here in Calgary a long long time ago.

If there is anybody looking to get into the hobby I can suggest buying a used car off of E-bay first. You can save a lot of money.

n1zm0
07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
suggest to start with electric?^ or venture into the gas powered if you ahve the money to spend

i was looking into a mini rockcrawler replica of a hilux or landcruiser. prlly an electric for this kinda rc car?

something like this guy's off www.scale4x4rc.org
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10185/IMG_2718.JPG
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10185/IMG_3655.JPG

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
[B]suggest to start with electric?^ or venture into the gas powered if you ahve the money to spend

i was looking into a mini rockcrawler replica of a hilux or landcruiser. prlly an electric for this kinda rc car?

something like this guy's off www.scale4x4rc.org
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10185/IMG_2718.JPG

selling them at PM right now.

I think they were mid 200's

unknown and I were laughing about them because they looked hilarious

n1zm0
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
lol^ why are they puny as hell?

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 09:16 AM
lol^ why are they puny as hell?

we just both like the Hilux trucks and seeing it was pretty cool.

Not sure how good they are just saw the picture on the outside. I also think they had another type of vehicle. They had the Land Cruisers and a Mitsubishi maybe?

Not sure how small they are, probably 1:12? bigger than my 1:18th I would think

n1zm0
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
ya i want and RC rockcrawler with that extreme flex suspension and all but it's either these yotas or some 80's yankee SUV

but i'll admit they are pretty cool, this guy even painted fender rust on his
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10185/7~0.jpg

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Hahaha those are sweet. I like my crazed Dune buggy. It gets the job done and looks hilarious booting across a soccer field.

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Duratrax has the Cliffclimber. Looks like a pretty sick rock crawler.

http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd18-cliff_climber/index.html

89coupe
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
My T-Maxx all modded out.

http://www.performance-shop.com/bradsstuff/tmaxx/IMG_1231.JPG
http://www.designsanew.com/tmaxx/IMG_2102.jpg

phreezee
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I had a nitro road car, and it was such a money pit. I sold it after spending about $1500 on the hobby. Tires, brakes, fuel, rims and replacement parts costs add up fast. The last thing to go was the transmission, before I sold it off.

It's almost like I was maintaining a real car lol.
Fun while it lasted though.

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My T-Maxx all modded out.

what size is that thing? 8.0cc?

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
I had a nitro road car, and it was such a money pit. I sold it after spending about $1500 on the hobby. Tires, brakes, fuel, rims and replacement parts costs add up fast. The last thing to go was the transmission, before I sold it off.

It's almost like I was maintaining a real car lol.
Fun while it lasted though.

The electrics seem to be a nice change. No fuel charges, motors are "supposed" to have long lives. But i could see parts being an issue. I keep smashing things apart.

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I bought a helicopter not too long ago with some b-day $... fun as hell when I'm flying it in my work hangar... outside, the thing gets tossed around like a ragdoll in the wind.

Also the battery only lasts 15 minutes at a time, so right when your getting used to flying it, it dies on you :thumbsdow

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
So what how, the nerdiest RC meet ever?

Neons4life
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Would like to get a heli, a descent one that can take a few crashes without incident...any recomendations?

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
So what how, the nerdiest RC meet ever?

totally, as long as our frequencies work we should be good.

TicTok what chopper did you get? Raptor?

I am looking to get either an electric cesna or an electric chopper

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

TicTok what chopper did you get? Raptor?

I am looking to get either an electric cesna or an electric chopper

Ummm... a yellow one?

Lol, I had to do a search for it when you asked, I just picked it up from PM Hobby while I was in there with a friend. It's a Helimax Axe EZ. Just a "cheap" little one. I think it was $160 or something.

n1zm0
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
is it the one with 4 rotors on top of e/o? comes with all the servos and controller?
i also saw it a PM hobby and had no money :(
great deal i think, cause i've seen lots of packages with servos/controller not included.

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
is it the one with 4 rotors on top of e/o? comes with all the servos and controller?
great deal i think, cause i've seen lots of packages with servos/controller not included.

2 rotors (4 blades), opposing rotation, so no need for a tail rotor, yeah it was a complete package controller and all. Good deal to learn on, though it doesn't fly fast or anything (though it does crash quite quickly when the battery dies, or a gust of wind blows it into the hangar wall, lol)

Boost Infested
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I have a Lipo Brushless 11.1v AE B4 buggy. I am having a big problem... keeps breaking parts due to how god damn fast the thing is. We've tracked the car at about 100-105km/hr.

QuasarCav
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM

DONT GO TO PM HOBBYCRAFT!!!!!!!

What you looked at was probably a Blade CX2. It's a RTF (Ready to fly) that has some severe limitations on where it can fly but it's fun to fly inside your house or any large indoor building.

Check out a Blade CP Pro or CP+ if you want to progress to a collective pitch heli but it's twitchy as hell and takes real focus to learn how to fly it.

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
I have a Lipo Brushless 11.1v AE B4 buggy. I am having a big problem... keeps breaking parts due to how god damn fast the thing is. We've tracked the car at about 100-105km/hr.

:drool:

what scale is that? I want to guess 1:4 because of the B4 but that seems fing big.

Originally posted by QuasarCav

DONT GO TO PM HOBBYCRAFT!!!!!!!

What you looked at was probably a Blade CX2. It's a RTF (Ready to fly) that has some severe limitations on where it can fly but it's fun to fly inside your house or any large indoor building.

Check out a Blade CP Pro or CP+ if you want to progress to a collective pitch heli but it's twitchy as hell and takes real focus to learn how to fly it.

Where would you go then? I went to Hobby guys and they didnt have choppers. I want to get into some form of aircraft but am not sure where.

any tips?

QuasarCav
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Action hobby in the SE near Ogden, actionhobby.ca.

PM me if you want some info on the RC Helis. I went from the Blade CX - Blade CP - Blade CPP - TREX 450 and I owe you some advice.

The Cosworth
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Action hobby in the SE near Ogden, actionhobby.ca.

PM me if you want some info on the RC Helis. I went from the Blade CX - Blade CP - Blade CPP - TREX 450 and I owe you some advice.

pm'd

Unknown303
07-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Was looking at the Radio frequency thing and for 27mhz AE only has 6 different channels....

KoukiS14
07-09-2008, 08:26 PM

:drool:

what scale is that? I want to guess 1:4 because of the B4 but that seems fing big.

Its 1/10th scale.

I have a Team Losi XXXCR Buggy. With 7.4 lipo and 5.5t Brushless setup. Clocked at 80km/h with conservative gearing.

PM Hobby is ok.

Action Hobby is ok too but they dont stock much for the electric crowd.

Modelland is decent, for my parts anyway.

Hobby Guys sucks ass.

Viper55555
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
My Losi 8ight (Va8er)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/Vader8X5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/vader5X8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/IMG_1336edit2web.jpg

As for parts....http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php

Any part or car you could ever need or want.

Unknown303
07-10-2008, 08:22 AM
hahaha thats a sick photo op for an RC. Was almost thinking of doing the same thing.

89coupe
07-10-2008, 08:38 AM

what size is that thing? 8.0cc?

See here
http://www.osengines.com/engines/os18cvr-index.html

Unknown303
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
D: SNAP last night it seems that I may have fried my ESC. Time to upgrade to a waterproof one. Hilarity ensues.

Thaco
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Ok, I'm looking at the traxxas rustler VXL for my kid... is this thing worth the money? it can be had on ebay for just over $300 shipped... also does this one have training mode?

sxtothe240
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a Helios Ex-10 Transmitter with a Spectrum receiver and module for sale if anyone's interested.

PM me an offer.

Unknown303
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Ok, I'm looking at the traxxas rustler VXL for my kid... is this thing worth the money? it can be had on ebay for just over $300 shipped... also does this one have training mode?

Yeah the Rustler has the VXL-3 ESC which has three profiles, Forward only, Forward/Reverse and 50% Forward/50% Reverse.

Also it looks relatively the same as my Evader but Traxxas is probably a better supported product here in Calgary.

Upon further review it has the exact same shocks that my evader has, which are pretty cheap if you drop stairs with it, but it seems that tearing them apart and applying teflon tape to all the threads helps it out a fair bit.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 09:19 AM
What's a good one to start with? I live outside the city, so lots of open fields, so off road would probably be best... but at the same time, I'll be moving back into the city soon, and am rarely at home (except at night) so maybe a road car?

What's a good budget to start off with.. Something like Cosworth's? All the parts to drive, plus a few minor upgrades... I'm also pretty sure I want to go electric, because of the reasons stated above.

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
What's a good one to start with? I live outside the city, so lots of open fields, so off road would probably be best... but at the same time, I'll be moving back into the city soon, and am rarely at home (except at night) so maybe a road car?

What's a good budget to start off with.. Something like Cosworth's? All the parts to drive, plus a few minor upgrades... I'm also pretty sure I want to go electric, because of the reasons stated above.

they make a buggy version of mine that would be better for you i think

18t i think it is called, just longer travel suspension and a different body

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
What am I looking at $$$ wise? How much did you spend?

89coupe
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't recommend battery powered. At least with a Nitro car you have power right to the moment it runs out of gas.

If you decide to go off-road, I suggest the T-Maxx. Its the best bang for your buck IMO and probably has one of the largest aftermarket supports.

NickGT
07-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm running a Traxxas Stampede VXL. I just got into this hobby last summer. My girlfriends dad had me playing with his Wheelie King and it was a lot of fun so I went out and got myself a truck.... Which was later converted to a 68 Monster Mustang. I've also got a 2005 Mustang Body in the process of being painted. :thumbsup:

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/rc/rc0.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/rc/rc1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/rc/rc2.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/rc/rc3.jpg

Viper55555
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Unknown303: ya, R/Cs work very well for photo shots

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/Losi/IMG_0053editweb.jpg

Cosworth: when 89Coupe says .18, thats cubic inch=3.0 CC

Thaco: the vxl line is, can, be very fast. Training modes help but its still a advanced truck. Also you can save a bit of money at AMAIN with there coupon codes. How old is your kid?

LilDrunkenSmurf: I have a screenshot for you. A good battery charger is first as you will need one anyway. Then some sort of battery. Nitro or Electric both will need a 7.2-8.4 large battery. I dont think you want to get into LiPo to start. Many different options but there is two for some prices. I have 4 Traxxas models as they are ment for beginners. They all come with some tools and maybe a spare part or two. The last two are nitro. Both are built on race platforms so the price reflects that. The losi has a bigger engine and more of a racing set-up, also a beter radio. But no tools like the Traxxas version.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/rclist.jpg

Remember, all the little things add up. A good set of tools will run about $100. Almost everything is samll allen wrenchs. Traxxas includes what you will need most. And expect your car/truck to look like this atleast once or twice while you own it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/Losi/IMG_9876web.jpg

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I like the appeal of just putting in more fuel and going as opposed to constantly charging, but the feel i'm getting it the fact that there's far more upkeep... and how much does the fuel (nitro) cost? Like I said, I would much prefer an on-street one, as I don't actually plan on using it off road.. My dogs would probably tear it apart.

And from the site someone posted earlier. amainhobbies.com, I'm looking at around 450-500 to start?

BTW I fell in love with this one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_45/products_id/18401

89coupe
07-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I like the appeal of just putting in more fuel and going as opposed to constantly charging, but the feel i'm getting it the fact that there's far more upkeep... and how much does the fuel (nitro) cost? Like I said, I would much prefer an on-street one, as I don't actually plan on using it off road.. My dogs would probably tear it apart.

And from the site someone posted earlier. amainhobbies.com, I'm looking at around 450-500 to start?

BTW I fell in love with this one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_45/products_id/18401

Fuel is cheap, only $20 a gallon. I run Blue Thunder nitro gas. I don't use any tools, I just drop my truck off for a day at www.modelland.com and pick it up the next day if something breaks...LOL.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM

If you want to race in open fields I would be looking at something bigger than 1/18th scale. Go to a 1/10th scale buggy or truggy and they run around 200 dollars ready to run.

But they do require charging, but an extra battery will run you 40 dollars and with two batteries you have probably over an hour of driving, most people will get bored in that amount of time i think.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 12:52 PM
See the thing is, I'm not actually out at the fields all that often, I'm usually inside the city,but until I actually do move, I doubt I would ever bring it into the city with me (aside from meets). So I was deffinitely thinking off road. The link I posted is a 1/8th scale Subie.. But it's on-road nitro.

EDIT:

How hard is it to switch from a pistol-grip to a dual stick?

I'm looking at the Revo 3.3 nitro on ebay, and they come w/ the pistol grip, which I'm not overly fond of.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't see it being that hard to switch you just match buy matching controller crystals for the rc and controller and your set. The ones in my controller and RC are both removable so they could probably be plugged into a different controller if need be.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Viper55555
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/viper55555/rclist.jpg

What site is this from??

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Ok guys, I got an ESC and Motor combo together and the ESC seems to overheat and go into safe mode way to often.

this normal?

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Is this happening today? or from the other day when we were running them?

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Same as the other day, seems to get really hot for having the motor timing turned down

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Anyone know the hours of PM Hobby and Hobby guys?

I'm leaning towards the Traxxas Jato 3.3 2wd nitro...

NickGT
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM

If you want to race in open fields I would be looking at something bigger than 1/18th scale. Go to a 1/10th scale buggy or truggy and they run around 200 dollars ready to run.

But they do require charging, but an extra battery will run you 40 dollars and with two batteries you have probably over an hour of driving, most people will get bored in that amount of time i think.

Yep pretty much. I get bored after one battery usually..

Thaco
07-11-2008, 02:21 PM
i decided I'm gonna get the Traxxas Rustler VXl, that way i can keep it basically stock and still be competitive, I'm hoping my kid (6yrs old) will adopt it as a hobby, and then dad can play too :)

syeve
07-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I was into this way back in the day. I had a team associated "RC-10 team car"with the first "stealth" transmission. I spent many a day rocking on RC's. Use to go to a track, I think it was called Morac? Good times, very good times.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Anyone know the hours of PM Hobby and Hobby guys?

I'm leaning towards the Traxxas Jato 3.3 2wd nitro...

Both places are open till 6pm.

PM Hobbycraft till 9 today

If anyone is buying some today and want to mess around I think i'll be at the soccer field there in Bridgeland around 5:30 ish or something i think.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Unless they can match a main hobbies prices, I doubt I'll be buying today, I'm just have an hour to blow ~6:30 and I figure I'll go take a look at what they have... I may drop by bridgeland if you'll still be there.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah I imagine I'll be around for a while once I get my new ESC in.

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM

If anyone is buying some today and want to mess around I think i'll be at the soccer field there in Bridgeland around 5:30 ish or something i think.

i will be there as well.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6450/snap1em0.jpg
source: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bridgeland+riverside+park&near=Calgary,+AB&fb=1&cid=0,0,81651147178049117&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Unless they can match a main hobbies prices, I doubt I'll be buying today, I'm just have an hour to blow ~6:30 and I figure I'll go take a look at what they have... I may drop by bridgeland if you'll still be there.

take in proof of their prices, they may be able to match it. I know they would match Tower Hobbies prices

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Might park my truck so we have a mobile charging station close by.

Viper55555
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Unknown303, the site is amainhobbies.com . Almost every part that I have needed has come from there. ~1 working week for shipping.

LilDrunkenSmurf, switching from pistol-grip to a dual stick may be possible but very expensive. Your best bet is to just learn the pistol-grip style. The Jato 3.3 is known to be good but very fast, almost too fast. That much power in a 2 wheel drive car can be a bit much. If you do get it, break it in easy. The con-rod on the 3.3 can snap if you push it to hard to soon. After broken in though, drive it like you stole it.

Cosworth, still on stock gearing or have you changed it out? Cleaned the motor lately? Fan on the ESC? ESC programed right?

Thaco, good choice. If your looking to toughen it up a bit, look into RPM parts. Almost impossible to break. If you do you get new ones from RPM.

I think I should be able to make it out to bridgeland at that time. If anyone wants to see the 8ight and Revo.

eb0i
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I was looking at the Traxxas Revo 3.3 (Nitro) today and found out that the new "cheaper" one has no reversing capability and goes for $479, while the one that can reverse is $599. Now my question would be...how important is the reverse for these offroad trucks?

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Cosworth, still on stock gearing or have you changed it out? Cleaned the motor lately? Fan on the ESC? ESC programed right?

I think I should be able to make it out to bridgeland at that time. If anyone wants to see the 8ight and Revo.

yes we want to see it. :)

Stock gearing, brand new brushless motor, no fan on esc, and i just reprogrammed it last night so I will try it out.

Destinova403
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
i have a question... if you bought one of the kits from say... the link that drunkensmurf posted... would you be able to change the body with ANY 1:10 scale body or would you need to measure the wheel bases? or would it go by the width? ex: 200mm

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I was looking at the Traxxas Revo 3.3 (Nitro) today and found out that the new &quot;cheaper&quot; one has no reversing capability and goes for $479, while the one that can reverse is $599. Now my question would be...how important is the reverse for these offroad trucks?

The different in pricing between an ESC with reverse and one without isn't much, I just purchase the XL-5 for 65 dollars and it has different profiles one with reverse and one without. So you get the option.

Originally posted by Destinova403
i have a question... if you bought one of the kits from say... the link that drunkensmurf posted... would you be able to change the body with ANY 1:10 scale body or would you need to measure the wheel bases? or would it go by the width? ex: 200mm

Most 1/10th bodies should fit with mild cutting depending on wheel wells. I'm going to track down a only 50's chev pickup body i think.

And I'm already done work so might get this thing out sooner if i can. Anyone who's coming to bridgeland should PM me and I'll shoot you a cell number to text if you are coming down.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
pm'ed

TomcoPDR
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I like broswing through this R/C site, company's been around for a long time.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah I am at home too so get in touch with Unknown and I have to throw my car on the charger

eb0i
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM

The different in pricing between an ESC with reverse and one without isn't much, I just purchase the XL-5 for 65 dollars and it has different profiles one with reverse and one without. So you get the option.

So you are saying all I would have to do is change the ESC to a forward/reverse one? I don't need to touch the transmission? I'm just going by http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/revo5308/trx_revo5308.htm which says it has a "forward only" transmission. :dunno:

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Ooh my mad, I thought you were looking at an Electric one. I'm not sure if the nitro ones are that easy to switch over.

Though if you plan things right you generally don't need reverse, only when I put it into the bushes.

eb0i
07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Ooh my mad, I thought you were looking at an Electric one. I'm not sure if the nitro ones are that easy to switch over.

Though if you plan things right you generally don't need reverse, only when I put it into the bushes.

Haha. Yeah I didn't think it would be that simple with a nitro set up. No reverse just doesn't seem natural for a vehicle though.

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Haha. Yeah I didn't think it would be that simple with a nitro set up. No reverse just doesn't seem natural for a vehicle though.

racing, dont need to go into reverse

eb0i
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

racing, dont need to go into reverse

I think I'm more of a basher.

Viper55555
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
eb0i, I have a Revo 2.5. It came with reverse stock, but just a little while ago I changed it to forward only. The reason people go with no reverse is because it makes the truck faster. Its conveneance vs speed. With such little engines any rotating mass and any mass off the truck means more acceleration and speed. I found that I didnt use it very much and also alot of people end up striping the gears out becasue they try and shift while still moving.

When your looking for a new body try and match up what came with it to others. That is only the real benefit of local shops. Otherwise they are mostly standard sizes.

Ill be heading out at about 5-5:15, should be there at about 5:30-6.

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
anyone else going to be there?

I think we are up to 4 now. Also there is a starbucks near by and a good place for beer

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
This is the worst meet ever! :rofl:

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 04:35 PM
oh LilDrunkenSmurf was in for 6:30.

Destinova403
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
im considering getting into this maybe... i have a trainer plane i might sell to pay for it. i would probably go nitro though just because im comfortable around the engines. HPI makes some decent beginner cars for not too expensive... and they have a prelude body i could stick on :)

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
im considering getting into this maybe... i have a trainer plane i might sell to pay for it. i would probably go nitro though just because im comfortable around the engines. HPI makes some decent beginner cars for not too expensive... and they have a prelude body i could stick on :)

bring the trainer plane tonight, i am looking for one

Destinova403
07-11-2008, 05:08 PM

bring the trainer plane tonight, i am looking for one

id love to but it doesnt fit in my car... PM'd

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
pm'd back.

man not being able to see new pm's in the thread area sucks

eb0i
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
eb0i, I have a Revo 2.5. It came with reverse stock, but just a little while ago I changed it to forward only. The reason people go with no reverse is because it makes the truck faster. Its conveneance vs speed. With such little engines any rotating mass and any mass off the truck means more acceleration and speed. I found that I didnt use it very much and also alot of people end up striping the gears out becasue they try and shift while still moving.

When your looking for a new body try and match up what came with it to others. That is only the real benefit of local shops. Otherwise they are mostly standard sizes.

Ill be heading out at about 5-5:15, should be there at about 5:30-6.

Thanks :thumbsup: So you can change the transmission from forward only to forward/reverse and vice versa easily if you have to? I think I just might be sold on this forward only business. I'll go pick one up tomorrow morning. :burnout:

P.S. Beyond should have a RC Forum and maybe a RC Club in the future? But I'd definitely be willing to do a meet up in the upcoming week.

Viper55555
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM
You can change it back, but its not really "easy". Its a one time deal. You either need it or you dont. Most of the time you end up upside down and need to walk over to it anyway, so whats one more walk if you put it into a tree? Your driving skills will improve before you want to put in reverse.

Good meet tonight guys. Maybe we will have a few more cars and trucks out next time with some more notice. I think I will have to bring out some jumps next time or something.

And only one snapped axel, not bad for a RC meet.

Watch the second Vid
http://www.traxxas.com/products/video/5908slayer/

Canmorite
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Damn this thread made me look at RC trucks again. So expensive :cry:

http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5605/trx_erevo5605.htm

Destinova403
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM

P.S. Beyond should have a RC Forum and maybe a RC Club in the future? But I'd definitely be willing to do a meet up in the upcoming week.

x2... id be down. im going to pick up an HPI RS4 Evo+ and a prelude body for it sometime soon :) when my trainer plane sells and id be down for meets

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/DDM_Avenger/IMG_0046.jpg

The Cosworth
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
wicked meet guys. We actually went to PM hobby after we all cleared out and got Unknowns brother to buy a Truck too.

Up to 4 guys now ;)

I am going tomorrow morning with him to get a charger and get some more stuff on my own

Thaco
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
my kid is getting his truck at the end of august, we might come out after that if you do something again.