PDA

View Full Version : Lock nuts but no key

Euro838
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

How do I get lock nuts off of a car if I don't have the key? No, I'm not trying to jack some rims. Can't find my locknut key that's all. I just want to be able to get the tires off in the event I get a flat or something. Thanks.

bobby_lu
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Make friends with a tire shop...

maybe tirebob will do it for you.

redline
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
You can smash them off with a hammer:D

hedge
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I just went through this. I ended up buying a cheap 12 point socket from princess auto and pounded it on. It got enough grip to remove them.

gretz
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
i could make one - is it worth it?

Euro838
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hedge
I just went through this. I ended up buying a cheap 12 point socket from princess auto and pounded it on. It got enough grip to remove them.

Cool, I think I'll go and try this.

USHER
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
haha damn i gotta do this too. let me know how it works.

or can i buy a replacement? its a toyota key lock set. can i go to the dealership and get a new key?

gretz
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by USHER
haha damn i gotta do this too. let me know how it works.

or can i buy a replacement? its a toyota key lock set. can i go to the dealership and get a new key?

id hope so.

n1zm0
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM
^McGard distributes it's locks to alot of OEM manufacturers, they're basically all 5 point flower or 6 point flower keys.

i would goto the dealership and they can tell you which colour key you will have to buy

Euro838
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay, I just called Country Hills Toyota and they have a master set or something they can use to take them off. If you buy another set from them (about $37), then they will take off your old ones and put the new ones on for you with no additional charge. I'll probably go and do this rather than try to hammer the old ones out.

CivicDXR
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
i bought my truck at country hills. I also lost the key, I just went there on a saturday, and they got one of the techs to take them off and put my regular ones on... no fee, no questions asked...

gretz
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
^^^ rare

SOAB
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
not that rare. we do that for customers here all the time.

not all dealerships are crooks. just most.

USHER
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
:banghead: went to drive to the dealership today and what did i find. i had a flat tire. great timing

HillBilly
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
simple $10 fix.

Find a nut that has about the same diameter as the lock nut.

Mig weld a couple of spots to the inside of the nut, fastening it to the lock nut.

Put a socket on it and remove.

Please disconnect your battery before doing this as you chassis will be the ground for the welder.

CivicDXR
07-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by HillBilly
simple $10 fix.

Find a nut that has about the same diameter as the lock nut.

Mig weld a couple of spots to the inside of the nut, fastening it to the lock nut.

Put a socket on it and remove.

Please disconnect your battery before doing this as you chassis will be the ground for the welder.

that works, but thats assuming he has access to a welder... plus I'd hate to get any splatter on my wheels...

if he gets it taken off by the dealership, then he can just order a key and re-use those lock nuts, rather than ruining one and having to buy a full new set...

RZRSHARP_SVX
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
at toyota the do that all time time. I speak from expirence I work at toyota for 1 1/2 years and did it so many time.

some people done like them and other the wheel lock breaks,

Kavy
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
When ever i stea..........er replace rims, i use the socket and hammer method, i mean your just gonna sell..............er i mean replace the rim anyways.

:rofl:

USHER
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
i just tried the hammer and socket method and it didnt work.
:guns: think i even bent the lug now.

can i get a key by just bringing a picture to them?

alloroc
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
i just tried the hammer and socket method and it didnt work.
:guns: think i even bent the lug now.

can i get a key by just bringing a picture to them?

Honestly, just take it in and take your medicine. Its not like they haven't seen someone do something silly before and you will need a key anyway if you get a flat. (When you get the replacement key you actually get a new set of keys and lugs .. if you bent something it was probably the stud and not the lug, you should get that changed too.

USHER
07-10-2008, 09:15 PM
how can i drive it when i have a flat man

alloroc
07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
how can i drive it when i have a flat man
My apologies.
reading > me.
Maybe a call and they can send someone with a master key.

alloroc
07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Check to see if you may be able to get in there with a pipe wrench.

If you think you can get a pipe wrench in to grab the key You should be able to cut a series of small notches around the key (perpendicular with the stud) with a dremel to give the pipe wrench something to bite into. Just have lots of blades handy I think those keys are made of an ultra hard alloy.

And be careful not to zap the rims, but getting someone to your house is still the best bet.

alloroc
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Something like this may work also if it is big enough

http://i8.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/fb/10/a295_1.JPG

but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it.

LittleAngel
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Hi all,

How do I get lock nuts off of a car if I don't have the key? No, I'm not trying to jack some rims. Can't find my locknut key that's all. I just want to be able to get the tires off in the event I get a flat or something. Thanks.

go to the dealer or the place you bought the rims from to match it up

89s1
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
something about this thread is super fishy still.

Convenient timing on that flat tire.

:rolleyes:

USHER
07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
buddy your telling me. why the hell would i lie? what do i have to gain from it. would you like me to take a picture :rolleyes: