PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a 08 tundra?

willyC
07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
My company now uses 08 Tundras. They used chev before, but got tired of gas bills and repair times.

These Tundras are all from fleet, and NONE of them have daytime running lights. If you want ANY lights, you have to manually turn them off.

Recently, I got to work, went to get in a truck, and the battery was dead. Sure enough, someone left the lights on. Howo the heck does a vechile built in 2008, not have the technology to turn off the head lights once they have been on for while????

I think these cars are USA bought vechiles, and they somehow passed inspctions without bumping up the safety features. Does anyone else own a 08 tundra and have the same issues???

Mitsu3000gt
07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Unless they changed it, if they are US cars they wouldn't of passed the out of province inspection without daytime running lights.

realazy
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I think there are tons of cars that don't turn off the lights if you left them on. That's what that annoying beep is for when you open the door with the car off and the lights are on.

Eleanor
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by realazy
I think there are tons of cars that don't turn off the lights if you left them on. That's what that annoying beep is for when you open the door with the car off and the lights are on.

I was under that impression as well :dunno:

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Yup, that feature is a chevy thing, my cobalt does the same, turns off within a few seconds of gettin out, all those auto lights. My brothers audi on the other hand won't turn off unless you turn switch before exiting... tell the drivers to pay attention when they exit vehicle I guess

ThisPersian
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
im not sure if this fully relates but many dodge cars like charge or even caravan, once you turn on the lights and turn them off, turn the car off and get out, it will stay on for about a minute or two then will turn off..

its sometimes useful if your out in the open in the dark but when you come home and get in the garage, it makes you double check your lights are off every time you get out..

willyC
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Anyone wanna comment on the lack of day time running lights?

Grogador
07-09-2008, 05:59 PM
VIN plate should tell you if they're American right?? Speedo/odo was converted to km's? Not sure what sketchy fool passed their OOP... Either way, your company is responsible for the safety/legality of commercial/fleet vehicles, I'd point it out and have them fix it, or just wait until the guys start getting pulled over at commercial vehicle checkstops. If you wanted to be a real prick you could just ASK a cop to ticket them for it :D

CelicaST-162
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
It depends which model you guy purchased. Some have an "Auto" function scribed on the combination switch (Light switch). Some SR5's might have the Auto Function and some other's don't (US market vehicles come with different options).

I haven't seen a Tundra with these issues, people usually turn off their lights haha.

demosticgarbage
07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Almost all Toyotas from 80s to to day have a feature where once you open the door the head lights turn off.

5fivespeed
07-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Yeah ^^ - My Corolla does too, it's 23 years old at that.

LittleAngel
07-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by willyC
Anyone wanna comment on the lack of day time running lights?

on some toyota models the day time running lights are just the orange corner running lights...

a dealership can not sell you a usa "new" vehicle. if the dealer bought it in the usa the HAVE to sell it as used.

benyl
07-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Unless they changed it, if they are US cars they wouldn't of passed the out of province inspection without daytime running lights.

OPI doesn't care. It is the Fed inspection.

That being said, are they Alberta plated?

My Neighbor's GMC Acadia was dead in the morning after leaving the lights on all night. He got it 3 months ago.

blownz
07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't have a new Tundra on the lot right now so I can't check, but I am pretty sure the 'daytime running lights' on the new Tundras are just the front orange signal lights just like on the Tacomas.

Redlyne_mr2
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by blownz
I don't have a new Tundra on the lot right now so I can't check, but I am pretty sure the 'daytime running lights' on the new Tundras are just the front orange signal lights just like on the Tacomas.
thats exactly what they are.

Supa Dexta
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Drive on the highway any day of the week and you'll see a ton of newer vehicles without any sort of light on in the day. Not sure if they are all american imports, but I do see a lot of them, as I do a ton of highway driving.

Stealth22
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by demosticgarbage
Almost all Toyotas from 80s to to day have a feature where once you open the door the head lights turn off.

My Corolla doesn't do that, and its an '07 :dunno:

All it does if I leave the lights on is beep at me.

CRXguy
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

My Neighbor's GMC Acadia was dead in the morning after leaving the lights on all night. He got it 3 months ago.

Your neighbor shouldn't need to manually turn on the headlights. The default setting is on Auto, and it'll turn on when it's dark enough. That's how it is on my Outlook, and should be the same on the Acadia/Enclave.

CivicDXR
07-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by blownz

correct... thats what mine are...

and if my lights are on, and I turn off the car, all the lights shut off as soon as i open my door...

TYMSMNY
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
^ or they turn off after alarming it. If you don't alarm it, the lights stay on.

Xtrema
07-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Auto off only apply to DRL.

Auto off only works if lights are set to Auto On in most cases.

If it's set to on, it won't shut off by itself which makes sense. If I'm outdoor and I want some lighting from the truck, I don't want it to go off on me.