PDA

View Full Version : Why are insurance people such dicks?

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm really curious.

My parked car gets hit by a pepsi truck, takes me 2 months to get it in the shop, (finally in this morning). I try to get a rental car directly billed to Pepsi's insurance, and they won't let me. So I call their insurance and ask wtf? (politely), and he tells me that I can only get an economy car (for replacing an Audi??? WTFF?), and if the rental place won't directly bill them, it's out of his hands, and I'll have to pay upfront and get reimbursed (god knows how long that'll take), and I can only get reimbursed for the days of actual repair (est. 12), not for any days they are waiting for parts.

The guy was a complete ass about it the whole time too. This isn't the first time I've experienced an asshole in the insurance biz... so let me ask this, why are they all such dicks?

gretz
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
thats how they stay in business

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by gretz
thats how they stay in business

I know... I'm just ranting... we should have a separate forum space for all our rants.

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:13 PM
That does not seem right... you should probably contact your insurance company and get them to deal with the pepsi insurance? Each company usually has a direct rental place linked up to them, and paying now compensated later = trouble

Eleanor
*Waits for ralliart_girl to come in and call you stupid* :rofl:

Hash_man
I feel your pain. Insurance adjusters are fucking assholes. I just got off the phone with an insurance adjuster I am dealing with from an accident I was involved in this past December, who even though I have sent her all my bills for physio is still taking her sweet damn time writing me a cheque. Don't pay out of pocket, make sure they get billed, or you'll likely be waiting 6 months or more for reimbursement from my experience.

marko polo
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
what ins. company are you dealing with?

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
*Waits for ralliart_girl to come in and call you stupid* :rofl:

LOL...I thought about it...and then thought I should just let the poor guy rant...I have to admit, i have dealt with some pretty retarded adjuster too....but we are not all like that..:D

But to the OP, the others are right pay first = trouble. Ask them which rental company they prefer you use. And I don't think it is really fair to not pay if there are parts delay....cause the reason why you are in that situation is because of the mva...you should fight a little for this.....nicely though.

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
I feel your pain. Insurance adjusters are fucking assholes. I just got off the phone with an insurance adjuster I am dealing with from an accident I was involved in this past December, who even though I have sent her all my bills for physio is still taking her sweet damn time writing me a cheque. Don't pay out of pocket, make sure they get billed, or you'll likely be waiting 6 months or more for reimbursement from my experience.

Is this because they had to wait for your extended health care stuff too???

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by marko polo
what ins. company are you dealing with?

Sedgewick Claims Management, so far neither Budget, nor National have heard/deal with them, so it looks like I have to put it all on my credit card just in time for my vacation... yay.

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Sedgewick Claims Management, so far neither Budget, nor National have heard/deal with them, so it looks like I have to put it all on my credit card just in time for my vacation... yay.

Instead of calling rental places why don't you call insurance company and ask them, or if you are that determined to take the long route enterprise is used by many. I got hit by ing client and my sister by aviva client in the past 8 months, both used enterprise...

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
It sounds like they are an "adjusting firm" and not an insurance company. Some big commerical companies are self insured, so they hire companies just to deal with it on their behalf.

I could be wrong, they appear to be from the states...

Oh, one more thing, did you add additional insurance for your rental? (ie. damage waiver, personal injuries stuff)

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
^^

which company do you work for ralliart??

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^^

which company do you work for ralliart??

I have worked for 2....I am not in insurance anymore.

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl

I have worked for 2....I am not in insurance anymore.

ah good, if you had currently worked for ING some flaming would be in order, boy have I had some fun with them recently...:guns:

gretz
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
My guy at ING is actually alright

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

ah good, if you had currently worked for ING some flaming would be in order, boy have I had some fun with them recently...:guns:

LOL...don't worry, I never worked for them...they have a few good people over there.......some....not so good.;)

colinxx235
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by gretz
My guy at ING is actually alright

Ya... I got hit on march 14th this year, both mine and other party are ING. My adjustor is quite helpful/responsive the other one was for the first few weeks, now I call because my physio claim got closed (without my knowledge) and all my "reimbursement" concerning each appointment and other stuff has been ignored along with all phone calls/messages left in the past month or so. Seems to be typical norm for these companies.

Hash_man
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM

Is this because they had to wait for your extended health care stuff too???

Nope, they knew when my coverage from my insurance company was going to run out, and I still had to pay up front.

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Nope, they knew when my coverage from my insurance company was going to run out, and I still had to pay up front.

To be fair, they have to receive documentation to confirm your coverage is exhausted, prior to reimbursing you...I know it sucks,and it is redundant but required...once they receive this, any further expenses should be alot quicker...

rmk
07-09-2008, 03:25 PM
they probably act that way because they get shat on all day over the phone.

my insurance co. is full of twats as well.

Jlude
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by rmk
they probably act that way because they get shat on all day over the phone.

my insurance co. is full of twats as well.

Hahaha... my old insurance company (In Alberta) would never lift a damn finger.

The one I have in the States is awesome... small office, it's AAA... They do whatever, whenever.

But you're right, the probably just get shit on all day.
It likely takes a certain type of person to work for an insurance company. (No offense to anyone)

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh, one more thing, did you add additional insurance for your rental? (ie. damage waiver, personal injuries stuff)

Haven't gotten one yet, though my own insurance covers damages up to $20,000 on a rental vehicle, and liability as well, so I doubt I'll be buying the rental insurance.

Even Enterprise won't deal with these guys. Nobody has freaking heard of them :whipped:

Dave P
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I would check your policy, maybe do you don't have a Loss of Use Endorsement?

What does that do you ask?

A loss of use endorsement entitles the insured to be reimbursed for reasonable amounts incurred for transportation up to a certain limit whether or not the insured is at fault for an accident. Has a daily limit subject to an overall limit for rental of an auto while repairs are been done, or it could be applied to the cost of using taxis or public transportation.

Bam!

Insurance 101 haha

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
I would check your policy, maybe do you don't have a Loss of Use Endorsement?

I don't... if I did, it would be easy as 123 to get a rental, as my insurance would pay for it, and then they would sick after Sedgewick to get reimbursed.

Dave P
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
So then hows it the insurance companies fault you don't have a rental?

im not saying its right or wrong, just find it funny that the insurance company is held to a higher degree.

Would you go to a restaurant and demand the highest priced meal, but not have to pay for it?

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
So then hows it the insurance companies fault you don't have a rental?

im not saying its right or wrong, just find it funny that the insurance company is held to a higher degree.

Would you go to a restaurant and demand the highest priced meal, but not have to pay for it?

Because Pepsi's insurance company is supposed to supply me with a rental while my car is being fixed after a PEPSI truck hit it. My insurance, or my insurance company should have nothing to do with it.

Seriously, you pretend to have some wisdom of the insurance business, but you don't comprehend how this works?

Dave P
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
haha. you are correct.

I misread the original post. I thought you were calling your insurance company, not theirs.

I do have lots of industry knowledge, its just a shame I can not read haha.

Carry On.....

old&slow
07-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Insurance companies,imo,are authorized by the government to steal,cheat and lie to obtain highest possible profits. Just hovering above the mafia...if they could get away with extorting money from you they would...so the pricks you speak of are wiseguys.

Team_Mclaren
07-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Because Pepsi's insurance company is supposed to supply me with a rental while my car is being fixed after a PEPSI truck hit it. My insurance, or my insurance company should have nothing to do with it.

Seriously, you pretend to have some wisdom of the insurance business, but you don't comprehend how this works?

When my car got hit, my insurance company did everything for me. Told me to go get a rental and they'll cover everything, and then they'll go after the other guy's insurance company to recover the cost...

Dave P
07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
Insurance companies,imo,are authorized by the government to steal,cheat and lie to obtain highest possible profits. Just hovering above the mafia...if they could get away with extorting money from you they would...so the pricks you speak of are wiseguys.

Good call Tommy DeVito

:thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't even be 1/2 as mad if the guy wasn't a cocky little shit about the whole thing. I can deal with crappy policies, on both rental car agencies and insurance companies, but you don't have to be an asshole about it when I'm inquiring about it very politely.

"Well if they've never heard of us, and won't direct bill us, then it's out of my hands and control"

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

When my car got hit, my insurance company did everything for me. Told me to go get a rental and they'll cover everything, and then they'll go after the other guy's insurance company to recover the cost...

You probably have replacement insurance, I don't, so the repairs are being coverer by my insurance company, and they'll get it back from Sedgewick, but they won't get me a car, since I don't have replacement insurance through them.

vietdood
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM

If you have full coverage then why didn't you go through your insurance company? You're not at fault so your premiums won't go up and you don't pay a deductable. The only time when you need to deal with it yourself is when you only have liability insurance.

Tik-Tok
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

If you have full coverage then why didn't you go through your insurance company? You're not at fault so your premiums won't go up and you don't pay a deductable. The only time when you need to deal with it yourself is when you only have liability insurance.

See post above yours

vietdood
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM

You probably have replacement insurance, I don't, so the repairs are being coverer by my insurance company, and they'll get it back from Sedgewick, but they won't get me a car, since I don't have replacement insurance through them.

hmmm back when I had my 240sx I didn't have loss of use coverage but due to the accident being the other party's fault, i was still able to get a rental. This was with meloche monnex and the at fault insurance company was cooperators

frozenrice
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Which body shop are you dealing with? We dropped off our car today as well and the body shop is the one that provided the loaner. Their "loaner" is actually an Enterprise rental. I was expecting an economy car like a Kia or Hyundai but because of Stampede week all of their economy rentals are gone and only had a Dodge Caravan left.

tom_9109
07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
If you would have had loss of use coverage your insurance would have covered everything and then through subrogation to recover their cost from PEPSI. In this case however they are operating under you policy under this time and stay within the guidelines of it.

Keep any and all receipts for any rental, I know it sucks but Pepsi is required by law to indemnify you of any loss as a result of this collision. In the end it will work out. It suck you need to spring out of pocket but thats the chance you take when you don't spring for the Loss of use (I don't have it either).

ralliart_girl
07-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
If you would have had loss of use coverage your insurance would have covered everything and then through subrogation to recover their cost from PEPSI. In this case however they are operating under you policy under this time and stay within the guidelines of it.

Keep any and all receipts for any rental, I know it sucks but Pepsi is required by law to indemnify you of any loss as a result of this collision. In the end it will work out. It suck you need to spring out of pocket but thats the chance you take when you don't spring for the Loss of use (I don't have it either).

oh my goodness....this is the only post out of like the last 10 that is true.......

For all the people who think that insurance companies are out to screw you out of your money:
all insurance companies in Canada have to follow the rules (policy) that is set out by the provincial government...if you think that your claim has been adjusted unfairly, you can always go to the insurance bureau.

And I can tell you, I have had a couple of inquires with the bureau, and each time the complaint had no grounds. Insurance companies do have to answer to rules set out for them by the government, so is isn't just do whatever they want.

demosticgarbage
07-10-2008, 12:50 AM
sorry cause you drive an AUDI doesnt mean that you need more then an economy car. your lucky to even see that.

"BMW drivers and AUDI drivers are not STUPID"

tabouli
07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
The amount of fraud being conducted demands that any insurance company assume the role of asshole. It can frustrate me too, but I endorse it. Poor people trying to get something for nothing are the reason we pay so much for insurance.

Team_Mclaren
07-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by demosticgarbage
sorry cause you drive an AUDI doesnt mean that you need more then an economy car. your lucky to even see that.

"BMW drivers and AUDI drivers are not STUPID"

actually... they usually try to give you something relatively the same size. I got a full size sedan as my rental.

403Gemini
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
First off all I see is a bunch of grown men crying like babies. Tik-tok, no disrespect, but suck it up and grow a pair. Now before you get offended im going to try and help you.

You arent getting a smooth claim because you arent dealing with your insurance company for everything. You're dealing with another company who you are going against which is obviously going to put their back to the wall about most stuff... its the way BUSINESS works , not insurance. You drive an Audi and you arent paying an extra couple bucks a year for rental coverage? Well now you're seeing the consequences, so you're going to have to deal with it.

You can get into a rental 1 way or another... you can grind them enough until they pay for it... however I know A LOT of companies have stopped doing this... when my GF was in a car accident she had to pay for the rental and get TD Meloche to reimburse her directly since Enterprise/Budget/Discount/Hertz said they no longer bill third party companies because it takes 4-8 months before they receive payments back from them sometimes. Hold onto your receipts for any rentals, and stop whining like a little bitch "boo hoo its before my vacation" - is your vehicle still driveable from the accident? If so, re-schedule your repairs for after your vacation so you have that extra cash on hand.

Dealing with Sedgwick, good luck. I've been in insurance for over 2 years and I've never heard of them. They sound like a private insurance company so yes they are going to try and mitigate the amount they pay out.

Couple things to keep in mind:

You werent at fault, so dont be treated like you were. If you're firm, but polite you can generally get your way. You start screaming, they stop listening.

You ARE entitled to a vehicle that is in the same class as your vehicle... like i mentioned above, you may have to pay for it yourself and get reimbursed. If you can scan in a receipt and email it to the adjuster there is a much faster chance you will get reimbursed than if you were to fax it or snail mail it over. (I know i can get to my emails very quickly vs faxes which take time to process through clerical and what not).

I'll add to this more later when i get home (Busy with the windstorm calls from BC right now).

PS Yes im a dick that works for the insurance company, but if i was your adjuster im a dick that works on your side ;)

bobby_lu
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
The amount of fraud being conducted demands that any insurance company assume the role of asshole. It can frustrate me too, but I endorse it. Poor people trying to get something for nothing are the reason we pay so much for insurance.

yea, because poor people are the only ones trying to beat the system.:rolleyes: