PDA

View Full Version : BBA Degree at MRC - Good idea?

JMaj7
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm going to be going to Mount Royal to do their BBA program with a Major in accounting. My end result, hopefully, will be an MBA which I am planning to doing right after. I was wondering if you guys can tell me whether this is the best way to go or whether I should be at the UofC. I am paying for it myself and I figured it would be cheaper to go with MRC. Also, I hear that scheduling at the Haskane School of Biz is brutal. I don't think MRC offers the transfer prgram anymore now that they have the ability to offer degrees. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BrknFngrs
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I always thought the scheduling at the business school (Haskayne) was pretty good, it's your options that tend to screw up your schedule.

What do you hope to achieve by obtaining a major in accounting and then your MBA?

JMaj7
07-09-2008, 06:42 PM
well ideally i would've majored in finance...MRC only offers majors in General Management, Human Resources, Marketing and Accounting. I thought that accounting would be the best way to go since I did threes years of it in High School...

I work at TELUS now... once i get an MBA I'm sure i can get a good position there (i'm a BA now)... i might be able to have them pay for my masters if i sign a contract with them....beyond that... i havent really thought about what i would do after... :)

DUBBED
07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
What makes you think it would be a bad idea?

Look at it this way, with an accounting degree, you have many more options than someone who specializes in HR for example. You develop a much better understanding of the business as a whole, rather than concentrating on personality types that would best suit a manager in the joint venture department. It prepares you for a variety of positions and different career paths. MRC is a great school, all of the Big 4 accounting firms recruit there regularly. I went there for a few years, and the teachers/environment are incredible, its a very comfortable institution.

Additionally, there are a wide variety of designations or post-post-secondary programs that are available to accounting majors that are incredible additions to a degree and will only open more doors.

BrknFngrs
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
well ideally i would've majored in finance...MRC only offers majors in General Management, Human Resources, Marketing and Accounting. I thought that accounting would be the best way to go since I did threes years of it in High School...

I work at TELUS now... once i get an MBA I'm sure i can get a good position there (i'm a BA now)... i might be able to have them pay for my masters if i sign a contract with them....beyond that... i havent really thought about what i would do after... :)

If you're interested in finance then why not take it at UofC?

Though I do agree that accounting, assuming you pursue a designation, is a good approach.

Myrrinda
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm doing accounting at MRC, and I love it. I did my first degree at UofC, then attempted to do accounting there, but because I was considered a "transfer student", I wasn't getting very far very fast. I'm not sorry I switched. I have a job starting at PwC in September, and my grades are even better than I ever got at UofC. Not only that, but Mount Royal requires you do a Co-Op program, thereby guaranteeing that you have experience when you graduate. Plus, as far as accounting goes, Mount Royal students receive more accounting hours of instruction that UofC students.
Also, I'm not positive, but I thought Mount Royal did an applied degree in Financial Services?

cressida_pimpin
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I went to Mount Royal for the first two years of my degree. The thing about MRC's degrees, however, is that the school has yet to join the AUCC. They are hoping to get accepted in by 2010 but as things stand right now, the MRC degrees are not transferable to an MBA. They advertise that the MBA is attainable with the Mount Royal degree BUT that's only if they get accepted into the AUCC which may take considerably longer then they think. As things stand right now the first graduates from these degrees will be in 2012, so they are just hoping that everything works out.

Also, you will be in the first round of graduates. In my opinion, go to SAIT or MRC to get a business diploma, then you'll move up in your company a bit. As you continue to work, go to U of L night classes at SAIT to finish your Bachelor of Management degree. This is what I'm finishing up right now. These degrees have been around for 40+ years at the UofL and have a better reputation. Also, no question as to whether it's transferable to an MBA.

Diploma to degree (UofL) FIRST CHOICE

B.Comm (UofC) SECOND CHOICE

MRC third choice

The only thing about getting a diploma first, is that it makes it really tempting to not go two more years for the degree, you just need to be determined.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Smartie
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
SAIT - BA, why dont continue with BBA, then CGA?

JMaj7
07-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Anyone know whether most of the Business courses At MRC are transferreable to UofC?

Godfuader
07-21-2008, 01:36 AM
MRC does offer a Bachelor of Financial Services. As for the advertised MBA, its through select institutions (Dalhousie, Royal Roads, and another one) A traditional MBA program to UofC may not be a direct transfer, as you may need to do a few courses.
As mentioned earlier, MRC forces you to do 2 semeseter work terms to graduate. The Accounting program gets you fully
prepped for a CGA, but I know a couple people ready for CA. The Financial Services program has you ready for your CSC and the CFP designation. The envirnoment at MRC is second to none.

cressida_pimpin
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Anyone know whether most of the Business courses At MRC are transferreable to UofC?

You can do a B.Comm transfer after two years at MRC. So yes, the courses are transferrable.

www.acat.gov.ab.ca

You can use that to see what courses transfer from MRC to U of C.

ragu
07-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I would say go for it; be careful as to which courses you are picking and if they can be transferred. One advice I'll give you is: If you walk in your class first day and you can barely understand the instructor's accent either switch it or even drop it! Last year I had to drop two classes because of it and take a hit worth a grand