PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself a bike

97'Scort
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, going to use it to commute to school. 45k on it. Fellow who owned it was a nice guy, said he was looking for a bigger bike because this one wouldn't accelertate with his wife on the back :rofl:

All in all, it's in pretty good shape, and all that it really needs is a front tire and an oil change. It fired up on the first try and not even a sputter after 6 months in storage.

I know most of you don't like cruisers, but I'll post some pics this weekend when I pick her up :)

EDIT: Pics!

http://www.kg-dj.com/images/bike1.JPG
http://www.kg-dj.com/images/bike2.JPG
http://www.kg-dj.com/images/bike3.JPG
http://www.kg-dj.com/images/bike4.JPG

jyun
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
nice

Supa Dexta
07-09-2008, 11:30 PM
That's my favorite time for cruisers.. I love the look of all those old bikes.. shadows, ltd's, intruders.. etc.

84 318i
07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
CONGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping to have a reason to make a thread like this soon.

*insert blantant promotion for a bimmer someone might be selling*
^^ I'm kidding, don't want to piss anyone else off.

Cheers,
Derek

RIDE SAFE MAN! We all want you out enjoying your bike, not laying in bed nursing road rash. Be smart and have a hell of a time while the weather's still good.

97'Scort
07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Weather's always good out here on the Island :D Or so I'm told.

I plan on finding an abandoned parking lot on Saturday and running down a tank getting her locked in.

Supa Dexta
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
If I were still down there I'd have helped you out, but I'm unfortunately back in edmonton.. *shudder*

But if you have any questions just ask, better to ask now, then ask after the bikes been on its side. :thumbsup:

97'Scort
07-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Um...I think I'm good for questions right now. Once I get the feel of the bike I think I'll be okay.

Does anyone know how to find Alpinestars dealers in my area? The website doesn't say, and I need to get some riding pants.

SJW
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
GW carries alpine stars. www.gwcycleworld.com

You may have to order from the catalog though.

Ride like no one can see you..

Eleanor
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Blackfoot also carries Alpinestars stuff, but I'd go to those places, try on the gear and then order online, wayyyyyyy cheaper.

D. Dub
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Congrats.

Those old cruisers are great bikes.

japan_us
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Blackfoot also carries Alpinestars stuff, but I'd go to those places, try on the gear and then order online, wayyyyyyy cheaper.

There's a Blackfoot in Victoria??? ;)

97'Scort
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Got her home today! Took some pictures, but sadly Vista does not come with any photo editing stuff, so I need to wait until I can download something to change the size.

By the way, ICBC (insurance in BC) royally sucks balls.

Anyways, just getting the bike home was a near-death experience. Looks like the signal lights are "iffy" at best: sometimes they work, sometimes not, so hand signals were the order of the day. Speedo is also not working, but I think I know why. Also, I had some moron in a Jeep tailgating me the whole way. A couple of other bikers saw me (with moron boy behind me) and pulled in behind me to ride defense. They could tell I was new I suppose :)

So big thanks to the two guys on the Harleys who helped a newbie get home safe!

japan_us
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Congrats! Looks to be in good condition.

Ride safe, and be thankful that you don't have to ride around in Calgary.

legendboy
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Fellow who owned it was a nice guy, said he was looking for a bigger bike because this one wouldn't accelertate with his wife on the back :rofl:

haha fuck poor guy

i bet his bike did accelerate just fine when they first got together :banghead: :rofl:

khtm
07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
^ ha, having lived in Victoria for 6 years he should actually be frickin' scared.

It's filled with senior citizens that can't see worth shit and have the reaction time of a coma patient.

I've actually been ran off the road by a 100 year old man driving down the wrong side a divided road.

JordanAndrew
07-11-2008, 08:15 AM
that should save you up some gas for sure. I was thinking of getting a moped to drive this summer too, haha!

rony_espana
07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Sweet bike dude, that seat looks really comfortable too! Do you know how much that thing weighs? I have a 750 and it seems a lot smaller...

97'Scort
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by khtm
^ ha, having lived in Victoria for 6 years he should actually be frickin' scared.

It's filled with senior citizens that can't see worth shit and have the reaction time of a coma patient.

I've actually been ran off the road by a 100 year old man driving down the wrong side a divided road.

Yeah, the old people are everywhere. They're equally dangerous to cars or bikes, so you're screwed either way. Lots of roads here have bicycle lanes, though (for pedal bikes) so there's a little extra shoulder room if you need to dodge a car.

Plus, there are lots of bikes here. TONS. So you can usually wind up riding with a group after a few minutes anyways. Good way to look out for each other.

97'Scort
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
Sweet bike dude, that seat looks really comfortable too! Do you know how much that thing weighs? I have a 750 and it seems a lot smaller...

It is comfortable :) I have no idea of the weight (it's in the manual back at home, I guess), but it feels about as heavy as my buddy's CBR 600.

joyridder
08-28-2008, 08:58 AM
bumpin an old thread, just picked up my first bike '89 Suzuki gsxr 750. I'm in Victoria as well, give me a shout if you'd like to hit the road :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/justin240/IMG_1535.jpg

Eleanor
08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by japan_us
There's a Blackfoot in Victoria??? ;)

Haha, damnit missed that :rofl: