PDA

View Full Version : 1st year electrician LF work

Owned69
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
hey, i just finished the pre-employment program at sait to jump start my electrical career and i have been haveing a hard time trying to find work, i was wondering if anyone knows any company's that are hiring at the moment? or any suggestions about finding a job

Masked Bandit
07-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Never thought I'd see a post like this in Calgary. If you have a chance, try to get into commercial / industrial work. There is no money in residential. Granted, you may have to take what you can get at first.

msommers
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Look in the yellow pages under "Oil and Gas services" and look for electrical companies. There is a shit-ton of work out there, I am really surprised to see a thread like this.

Unknown303
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I believe Tarpon Energy is always looking for electricians.

Spoons
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I believe Tarpon Energy is always looking for electricians.

I used to be good friends with a fellow at Tarpon, not sure if he is still around. Last time I checked Tarpon isn't looking for guys around this time of year.

I can try and give a shout to my buddy at Enerflex/Syntec (I used to work there, great company) see if they are still looking for some greens. But you're best bet is to phone them and ask. I would say drop my name, but I don't know you lol.

This time a year is really slow for commercial electrician work, you might be able to pick up a job but won't really have much work. Good choice though, I did a summer of commercial electrician apprenticeship until I decided to go back to school to become an engineer.

But definitely go commercial. You will be working out of town, but inside still, and not super long hours, but it is a hundred times better money.

snowboard
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
is this a joke?

dropdat
07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Never thought I'd see a post like this in Calgary. If you have a chance, try to get into commercial / industrial work. There is no money in residential. Granted, you may have to take what you can get at first.

Most companies don't want people with pre-emplyment, most of these people have no experience in the field and prefer to hire someone with no experience at all, at a lower wage.

Same thing with ticketed framers, noone wants them.

Perfect Dark
07-10-2008, 09:12 PM
You can try calling Academy Services, we may be looking but I am not sure.

HuMz
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
is this a joke?

Its not as easy as you think...esspecially for a 1st year with no experience.

And to the OP, I work for Canem systems my site isn't hiring but at the Lougheed there always looking for guys.

Spoons
07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

Its not as easy as you think...esspecially for a 1st year with no experience.

And to the OP, I work for Canem systems my site isn't hiring but at the Lougheed there always looking for guys.

Are you kidding me? They love 1st years with no experience. They have a green hat that eventually will turn into an electrician for them. So right there they have basically a labour worker for cheap with a return investment of another electrician for them.

HuMz
07-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Are you kidding me? They love 1st years with no experience. They have a green hat that eventually will turn into an electrician for them. So right there they have basically a labour worker for cheap with a return investment of another electrician for them.

Thats news to me, when I was a starter with no experience it took me weeks of dropping off and following up resumes only to get 2 call backs and 1 interview. (Resumes at every electricial contractor in the city).

I have buddies who have tried to get into the trade doing the same thing and were never given the opportunity so eventually they gave up and moved on to something else.

Also look at any electrical listing in the classifieds, typically its 2nd year thru J-man. Just because you were able to get on for one summer fairly easily doesn't mean its the norm.

Unknown303
07-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Most companies that I know of generally look for guys in their third or fourth year. When I first moved to Calgary a few years back I was dropping of resumes everywhere trying to get somewhere to hire me as an apprentice electrician and never had a bite, most places would even tell me that if I had some experience they would probably hire me on the spot.

How much of a different in work between companies can they have? They have to follow the CEC and last time I check that applied to all companies. If you learn it one place, chances are you'll know the same thing at the next company.

Spoons
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Most companies that I know of generally look for guys in their third or fourth year. When I first moved to Calgary a few years back I was dropping of resumes everywhere trying to get somewhere to hire me as an apprentice electrician and never had a bite, most places would even tell me that if I had some experience they would probably hire me on the spot.

How much of a different in work between companies can they have? They have to follow the CEC and last time I check that applied to all companies. If you learn it one place, chances are you'll know the same thing at the next company.

If you tell the company you are willing to work as a green hat (an electricians bitch) you will usually get hired. That is what I was doing with Enerflex/Syntec. I worked as a greener for a couple of months, and then started my apprenticeship.

You can not expect to be hired right away as an apprentice. Why would they start to apprentice some kid they hardly know, and have no clue if he will work out. Mind you with Enerflex/Syntec I had hook ups through my step dad.

Just go in to a company saying I am looking to become an electrician (ie apprenticeship) but have no problem starting as a laborer for a few months.

HuMz
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM

If you tell the company you are willing to work as a green hat (an electricians bitch) you will usually get hired. That is what I was doing with Enerflex/Syntec. I worked as a greener for a couple of months, and then started my apprenticeship.

You can not expect to be hired right away as an apprentice. Why would they start to apprentice some kid they hardly know, and have no clue if he will work out. Mind you with Enerflex/Syntec I had hook ups through my step dad.

Just go in to a company saying I am looking to become an electrician (ie apprenticeship) but have no problem starting as a laborer for a few months.

Its pretty rare for an Electricial contractor to hire labourers. While I've heard of this being done...I've yet to see a electricians labourer (with a green hat) on any site i've been too.

If your good at selling yourself and you have no experience then you can try and get on as a starter, which is similar to what your saying. Buts its still tough to get on and its not like they "love 1st years with no experience" like you say.

Its alot of work to start an apprentership and there not gonna take a chance on you unless they really feel like your gonna be commited and put in the work. Not too mention the danger aspect of working around electrical equiptment.

Spoons
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Its pretty rare for an Electricial contractor to hire labourers. While I've heard of this being done...I've yet to see a electricians labourer (with a green hat) on any site i've been too.

If your good at selling yourself and you have no experience then you can try and get on as a starter, which is similar to what your saying. Buts its still tough to get on and its not like they "love 1st years with no experience" like you say.

Its alot of work to start an apprentership and there not gonna take a chance on you unless they really feel like your gonna be commited and put in the work. Not too mention the danger aspect of working around electrical equiptment.

I don't mean that they will hire you as a labourer. I mean that they hire you on as still an apprentice, but for the first while till they get to know you will just be a glorified labour position.

Shogged
07-11-2008, 05:58 PM
if you can't find a job as an electrician in calgary, you're either a high school drop out, or you're just lazy.

Black_ZX2
07-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Try:

-Allied Projects
-Western Electrical
-Western Electrical - Foothills Hospital (They do their own hiring over there)
-Canem Systems
-Trotter & Morton
-Custom Electric

Western is your best bet right now. They are probably the busiest commercial contractor at the moment. They are working on the Foothills Hospital, Encana Tower (or whatever the new name is) Chinook Center expansion & Balzac mall to name a few.