PDA

View Full Version : Rust problem with Toronto car? Is it a myth?

Coleus
07-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Some ppl told me that not to buy car from Toronto due to their rust problem. Is this true? if it is, what about car that 3 -4 years old with undercoating. Does it still have the same rust problem?

Any feedback is appreciate.

Cheers
Coleus

A790
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Southern Ontario uses a lot of salt on the roads during the winter. If the previous owner took care of the care and washed it frequently, had it undercoated, and washed the undercarriage it shouldn't be a problem if the vehicle is only 3 to 4 years old.

I bought my 03 Saab from London, ON and there isn't a spot of rust anywhere on the car. I've also seen newer cars that are rusting out already. It depends on how much it was driven and how much care it was given.

NewLextasy
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
It all depends on how it was winter driven. I know a few people that have bought cars from TO with no problems at all. But I also have personaly seen 03 bmw's with rust everywhere.

Most of the rust will be under the hood on all the bolts and strut towers.

I personally would never buy a car from TO for myself or for my business.

gretz
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Im from TO area - salty roads + any bare metal = TO cars

Coleus
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I am looking at a car which is from Toronto. There is no sign of rust on bolt or strut towers. And it is 04, I am wondering if it is safe to buy it. Will the rust appear later on? It has been on the Calgary dealer lot for a year now.

gretz
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
decisions decisions

LittleAngel
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
look under the hood and the under carriage. i have a 2000 and it was from the east and I've had to replace lots of parts due to seizing. and i think it was only out east for 3 years... i cant even get the rear end aligned due to seizing

Coleus
07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that! I think i should avoid TO totally then to save problems down the road

Cheers

heavyD
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
No it's not a myth. It's not just the road salt, it's the humidity in Southern Ontario that makes cars rust faster. Of course if the car is newer and washed frequently it may still be okay but you should definately inspect the car in person.

euro_racer
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
truth is most local dealerships get their used stock from the east and so far almost no one notices it...except the mechanics servicing them. for example, undoing a bolt on an 2 year old eastern car takes wd40 and heat in many cases where a western car would not need that.

i say, if the body shows no sign of rust and it is cheaper, go ahead and buy it because the chances are you wont be servicing it yourself :)

Coleus
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
My brother is servicing my car for free so I don't want he is too upset about it.

Thanks for all great feedbacks so far

avishal26
07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
its not a myth... Ontario cars.. for the most part.. rust out really quick just because of the type of climate (more humidity)there and the amount of salt used during the winter.

I live in Kingston 8 months out of the year and you won't believe how fast some of the new cars rust out over there...

mikestypes
07-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I had a 2002 car that was winter driven in Winnipeg and was perfectly fine. That is until it spent one February week in Montreal, and it was permanently damaged. Every exposed underhood bolt and bracket had an ugly layer of corrosion that was not there from previous Winnipeg winter driving. The car got so coated in white shit, it was hard to tell it was blue.

It is NOT a myth.

NewLextasy
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Edited as i must have misunderstood lol

Also I would stay away from a car thats been on a dealers lot for a year.... There is such a thing as LOT ROT

Xtrema
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
winnipeg is in manitoba not ontario...

Also I would stay away from a car thats been on a dealers lot for a year.... There is such a thing as LOT ROT

Montreal not Winnipeg.

I agree on the 2nd point. Unless the dealer is offering free bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years and sell it at CBB price, I won't touch that car.

mikestypes
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
winnipeg is in manitoba not ontario...

Gee thanks Captain Obvious.....I was refering to the damage done in MONTREAL for a week was much worse than a Winnipeg winter.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Most of the rust will be under the hood on all the bolts and strut towers.

I personally would never buy a car from TO for myself or for my business.

:werd: Tyler good for you for not buying inventory from East :thumbsup:

Originally posted by LittleAngel
look under the hood and the under carriage. i have a 2000 and it was from the east and I've had to replace lots of parts due to seizing. and i think it was only out east for 3 years... i cant even get the rear end aligned due to seizing

^^^ Exactly, same thing with me Eastern rust bucket :(

To OP, depends what your purpose of this Eastern vehicle will be? Company car/truck use, point A-B beater, something you'll mod and sunk $$$, just a quick curb or flip to scam someone else, etc...

Specifically in answer to your topic, YES, stupid Ontario vehicles have huge rust problems. (based on actual personal experience)

Last year I was buying a (new to me) work truck, but then my industry "big brother" (born, raised, residing Ontarian) says:

Ontario BB: "what ya gonna get?"
Me: "I dunno just something else"
Ontario BB: "when/where are you gonna get this?"
Me: "Well during our off season obivously and when I sell this truck, but probably when I go back home, call my buddies and go to the auction, newspapers, etc..."
Ontario BB: "Oh don't get it in Alberta"
Me: "Wat?"
Ontario BB: "You guys (Alberta) are a rip off, fuckin' over price everything"
Me: "Yea ok, as opposite to your's Ontario rust buckets?"
Ontario BB: "shut up, that's just a MYTH, blah blah blah"
Me: "yeaaaa okkkk there, look at your Humvee (it's an H2), fuckin' piece of shit rebuilt, with a Chevy logo (steering wheel) airbag instead of the "H2" when they fixed it... you really should get that airbag checked out, I hear tons of Ontario scams of refilling used airbags which don't work or over pressure and pounds your face in when it does go off"
Ontario BB: "you wanna truck or not? I got a grade school "buddy" who's a wholesaler back home (Ontario) he'll HOOK YOU UP, he'll find you something awesome that's way cheaper than what you get here" :rolleyes:
Me: "Ok well I DON'T WANT NO RUST BUCKET" (that was specifically said)

Fast-forward... paid for my truck without even seeing it... brought it home (so factor in 36 hours or 3,600km driving, 2 nights hotel)... Of course I know shops that'll OPI "inspect" this for $100 for ME (please don't ask me for contacts)
But seeing this is my personal use vehicle and not just a quick scam flip, I took it into a dealership for OPI... should had see the rust FALLING outta the frame, everything is brown underneath.

The dealership failed the inspection (that's another thing to worry about)... took it to buddy's shop, replacing all brakes/rotors, you had to POUND on the thing to even loosen any parts.

Just fuckin' rust everywhere
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2072.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_1306.jpg

^^^ Hole is from some moron Paintless Dent Removal guy/gal (NOT ME) drilled an access hole to fix a dent (which you don't need to in this model)...

Finally, SHOW ME THE MONEY right?

Here're the stats:

If I bought an Alberta born and raised CLEAN truck of the same specs: $29,000 - 32,000 (these are top condition privately owned ranges)

Price of MY Ontario RUST BUCKET: $23,000 (from wholesaler who probably bought from auction)
Travel costs (I got free ride TO Ontario) Gas back: $800
2 nights of hotel if you stick to three 10-12 hours/dy driving ($120/ng): $240-250
Out of province inspection: $150-$160
Repairs needed (ON MINE) before Alberta safe: $3,000
Transit licenses, etc...: $50 (Ontario back home, Alberta one while truck is going from shop to shop)
Total: $27,250 for a rust bucket that nobody wanted locally
But everytime big brother pulls that I got a good deal for you shit, and all I gotta say is: "Wat, like your BUDDY truck deal I got?" = Priceless

I will never buy another Ontario piece of shit again, unless it's for a flip or curb, or just a BEATER, or something that's driven off the lot 6 months ago (less than 10,000km) and I was getting a super sweet deal (I'd say over 20% savings compared with Alberta)

Otherwise I'd rather get an Alberta owned lease back or Alberta Ex-Rental... (most of them are still warranty, AND come on trust me, we don't nearly beat on our vehicles like they do in the East)

Moe Man
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
just look at the damn car, once you know what a eastern car looks like, you can tell one from a mile away.

hint: the wheels give it away 90% of the time.

heavyD
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
just look at the damn car, once you know what a eastern car looks like, you can tell one from a mile away.

hint: the wheels give it away 90% of the time.

Rotors, shock/strut towers, and under carriage will usually have alot of rust even if the body panels look pristine.

finboy
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
i went and looked at a 98 talon with a buddy, from 15 feet away it looked beautiful, but once you looked in the wheel wells, strut towers, and on the firewall, you could tell it was from out east. flaking paint, oxidization, bubbling rust, etc.

don't buy from out east, if you want a REALLY clean car, buy from vancouver, the land of no salt :rofl:

NewLextasy
07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by finboy
i went and looked at a 98 talon with a buddy, from 15 feet away it looked beautiful, but once you looked in the wheel wells, strut towers, and on the firewall, you could tell it was from out east. flaking paint, oxidization, bubbling rust, etc.

don't buy from out east, if you want a REALLY clean car, buy from vancouver, the land of no salt :rofl:

Exactly I buy so many cars from Van for this reason!

Neil4Speed
07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Rotors, shock/strut towers, and under carriage will usually have alot of rust even if the body panels look pristine.

Agreed - I went to look at a 96 SC400 about 8 months ago. I was very serious in getting it, good price, and the body looked fantastic - great paint. I got it checked out by a licenced mechanic, right when he jacked it up, he told me not to get it. The entire under body was completely rusted out. He told me that this would not pass inspection and it was really quite dangerous to drive/even be on the road. Sure enough when I checked out this "Calgary car with no records" it showed to be sold at auction in Montreal just a few months prior.

Vancouver is definitely the best place to buy a car in Canada. I was absolutely staggered when I saw cars like 80's Justys and Ponys (known for being total buckets) driving around like they were brand new! That place is a haven for people who love Preludes, so many nice ones all through the generations with no rust!

vtec4life
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
:werd: BC cars FTW

Destinova403
07-11-2008, 12:00 PM
ill take a car from arizona or nevada... dry, no snow, no floods, no salt... its like... perfect

Neil4Speed
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
ill take a car from arizona or nevada... dry, no snow, no floods, no salt... its like... perfect

Arizona/Nevada would be my second choice overall just because sun damage can really wear on a cars paint.

finboy
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Arizona/Nevada would be my second choice overall just because sun damage can really wear on a cars paint.

:werd:

vancouver is cloudy most of the time, red cars stay red

CLiVE
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I have a '02 BMW from Ontario. No problems, no rust on the undercarriage, bolts, strut towers, etc. Not a spec.

The one car I purchased from BC had major rust problems. Wheel wells, wheels were corroded, etc. Go figure.

RATM
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE
I have a '02 BMW from Ontario. No problems, no rust on the undercarriage, bolts, strut towers, etc. Not a spec.

The one car I purchased from BC had major rust problems. Wheel wells, wheels were corroded, etc. Go figure.

BC has rust and corrosion problems in the Vancouver district actually (very similiar to California in this regard). I don't know what you guys are talking about. Obviously Montreal is way worse than BC, but still, BC isn't as rust-free as most of you guys are hyping it up to be.
the best place in NA is Arizona, Nevada, or even Texas. An engine and car is in optimum shape when its in hot weather all the time, no rust, corrosion, anything.