PDA

View Full Version : How "easy" are OOP inspections to pass?

2EFNFAST
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Hypothetical ( :angel: ) let's say you're building a car; everything is brand new on it (e.g., 6piston Wilwoods, so no old leaky brakes, etc... etc...), you comply with all regulations (e.g., DTRL), except for

1) Wipers
2) Heater/defroster
3) Backup lights (not my fault my ring race box was built to handle 1200ft-lbs of torque, and not to trigger a silly light when backing up in a parking lot!)

what are the chances the inspector would pass over those :confused:

Alternatively, how do places like Canadian Tire (I believe that's where most people get them done?) feel about $100 mysteriously sitting on the passenger seat as encouragement :nut:

4lti7ude
07-11-2008, 01:06 AM
They will fail you and say "Im sorry we dont know what 100.00 You are talking about"

97'Scort
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
You need 1 and 3, but I don't think a working heater is an inspection item.

2EFNFAST
07-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
You need 1 and 3, but I don't think a working heater is an inspection item.

I thought defroster was a requirement in Alberta?

Hmmm, I wonder if clip-on wipers count as wipers :angel:

#3 will be a problem as its a fvcken race box, it doesn't have a provision for back-up lights. About the only thing I can think of doing is buying some $10 wal-mart light and slapping it on the back, then everytime i go into reverse trigger it manually and say 'See. I 've got a fvcken light. Happy?'

Originally posted by 4lti7ude
They will fail you and say "Im sorry we dont know what 100.00 You are talking about"

didn't think that would help:rofl:

4lti7ude
07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
hahhahaha im sorry but its a shady world.
But I think the mechanic checks everything themself and you just sit outside in Canadian Tire (If you do go there)
So the light from Walmart wont work.

And TO the 100.00 a Mechanic caught passing a illegal passed car will have his mechanics license taken, So its hard to try and make a mechanic put his name on the line.

Masked Bandit
07-11-2008, 07:12 AM
If this is a race car, why do you want it registered for the street?

heavyD
07-11-2008, 07:25 AM
I passed an OOP inspection once without DRL's so it all boils down to competence of the mechanics.

Eleanor
07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
If this is a race car, why do you want it registered for the street?

:werd: 1200ft-lbs street driven? :nut:

BigBadVlad
07-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm looking at a copy of my OOP I just had done and there is a check box for Heater and Wiper/Washers as well as Back-Up lights.

You could try the white light at the back on a separate switch labelled Reverse or something, maybe it would pass muster:dunno:

One thing for sure, I would probably be looking to take it somewhere else than C.T. if you really want to try and have it pass. It probably will come down to how thorough and by the book your technician is going to be. The one piece of advice that I got and went by was "If it's on the car then it has to work, everything has to work".

The heater I could see being overlooked, but I'm skeptical about the wiper/washer and backuplights. Those are items that likely won't be overlooked and really if you're driving on the street should have. .02

Grogador
07-11-2008, 07:56 AM
17(1) A lamp on the rear of a vehicle must emit red light unless this Regulation permits another colour.

(2) Back‑up lamps that are lit only when a vehicle is backing up may emit white light.

says nothing about automatic/manual :D so you built a racecar and aren't friends with any mechanics?

Stunt66
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Don't even bother with crappy tire, you won't stand a chance at a place like that. You gotta hope someone on here has a connection and is willing to pass it your way.

2EFNFAST
07-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66
Don't even bother with crappy tire, you won't stand a chance at a place like that. You gotta hope someone on here has a connection and is willing to pass it your way.

For anybody who has such connections, have I ever mentioned that you're my favorite friend in the whole wide world! =)

Originally posted by Eleanor

:werd: 1200ft-lbs street driven? :nut:

Sorry for the misinterpretation - it's capable of 1200ft-lbs w/o breaking; I'm only making about 750.

whiskas
07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I'm only making about 750.

only.

Put a rag on a stick in the passenger seat and call it your windshield wiper.

Tik-Tok
07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

(2) Back-up lamps that are lit only when a vehicle is backing up may emit white light.

says nothing about automatic/manual :D so you built a racecar and aren't friends with any mechanics?

Back-up lamps that are lit only when a vehicle is backing up

This wording, makes it seem like it must be automatic, as the light must only come on when in reverse. A separate switch would let it come on, when not in reverse.

You could put in a make-shift switch on the shifter, so it would turn them on?

climer
07-11-2008, 10:22 PM
There are lots of shady OOP inspectors out there.

Canadian Tire is not one of them.

Keep looking...

2EFNFAST
07-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by climer
There are lots of shady OOP inspectors out there.

Canadian Tire is not one of them.

Keep looking...

Suggestions (?PM?) are useful :)

2EFNFAST
07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Suggestions (?PM?) are useful :)

Lumpity lump lump for anybody who can help me out with a suggestion/hint/name :)