PDA

View Full Version : chiropractic services...anyone been "cured" from it?

Seks
07-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I was starting to have trouble sleeping back in Oct time frame. I've tried 3 diff mattresses, a couple of couches...and even sleeping on the floor too. I'd wake up in the wee hours of the morning with a bit of a back ache...sometimes in the lower back, sometimes in the middle to upper back...sometimes the whole back. I'd take Advil just to try to lessen the pain and get myself back to sleep.

Initially I started going to a Chiro 2-3 times a week (as recommended by the Chiro). Then after a month or two or so, I started going once a week. Every single time I went there, it's always the same cracking procedure. For the past few months, since spring, I've pretty much gave up on the treatment and avoided going because I still have back aches from time to time when I wake up.

The dumb thing is that the office still calls me and try to schedule me in. Their reason is that I should still do "maintenance visits". I think it's more like them wanting a short 15 min of my time so they can bill Alberta Health or my benefits provider and get their $.

Keep in mind that I do go to the gym...and yes I do my work outs properly with proper forms. And I went back to school FT back in Sept and I thought it may have been my back pack being too heavy.

I am starting to think that chiro is just an unjustifiable health treatment...and from what I've read, it's not a proven practice that can cure back problems.

What do you guys think?

D. Dub
07-11-2008, 08:04 AM
I am utterly sceptical about their practices and their ethics.

http://www.chirobase.org/

All of the info you could possibly need.

If I had back problems I'd see a REAL doctor first, and then likely a physiotherapist for rehab and treatment.

Weapon_R
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
lol you have the same chance of being cured by a Chiropractor as you do visiting a voodoo doctor

ExtraSlow
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I have heard that there are chiropractors that are interested in "curing" the patient and making it so they don't have to keep going back, however I've never seen one.

I put much more faith in Physio and Massage for back-ache.

Kona9
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
It DEFINITELY DID NOT help my good friends mother!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7dYfZ0T8E&feature=PlayList&p=F324082BDDF8E50C&index=0

http://albertachiroclassaction.ca/docs/Chiro_Class_Action_Backgrounder.pdf

Kloubek
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
You're visiting the wrong people. Chiro works specifically on your bones, and their alignment. Don't think this isn't important - it is. However, the reason a back gets out of alignment and you get aches is usually due to muscles pulling it in directions it shouldn't be. So while the back adjustment *should* help a bit, it is only helping the symptom - not the reason.

What you want is therapy for your muscles. Some call it "muscle release", and I'm sure the process goes by other names.

Bascially, what they do is focus on the muscles that are causing your back to get out of alignment. The process entails that the muscles are focused on, and stretched out. This, combined with deep massage therapy should help you a lot more than Chiro alone.

I have gone to a place called "adjust your health" on Macleod, and it really helped. They did a combination of all three therapies, and as they work closely in hand with each other, you get a full treatment rather than just one course of medicine.

PS: Massage therapy isn't to be confused with a simple, nice-feeling massage. It actually hurts quite a bit at first, but that's necessary to get the muscles back where they belong.

ExtraSlow
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Massage therapy isn't to be confused with a simple, nice-feeling massage. It actually hurts quite a bit at first, but that's necessary to get the muscles back where they belong.
Agreed, a good massage can hurt like hell.

Weapon_R
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I have heard that there are chiropractors that are interested in "curing" the patient and making it so they don't have to keep going back, however I've never seen one.

I put much more faith in Physio and Massage for back-ache.

No Chiropractor is interested in curing a patient. They keep you coming, sometimes for years and years for your monthly adjustment. Those who claim they can actually 'cure' you are lying because Chiropractic is not based on any true science. They use heat pads and bed rollers that feel great, but the whole Chiropractic industry is shunned by most real medical professionals.

kutt3r
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
LOL
They do not cure you, they never will, they are a quick fix.

What have you done to prevent the problem?
What causes your problems?

The reason you are out of alignment is due to a muscular imbalance, that means you need to fix the imbalance or it will happen over and over again.

I had cronic headaches that were releaved by chiro/massage, they also advised me how to stregthen the muscles and avoid the things that I was doing to stress/shorten/weaked the muscles (mainly sitting hunched at a desk for 10-16 hours a day)

Most chiros want to help, but it is lazy people that expect a miricle cure that are always disapointed. Follow what they tell you and you go from 3 visits a week to 1 visit, I now go once every 2-3 months if that and it is usually because I did something silly to get out of alignment. If your chiro is not giving you the tools to get better then I would agree that they are in it for the money and not your health, but that has not been my experience.

That being said there are risks, that is why you sign a waiver, know and understand the risks before you submit yourself for treatment. Chiros will (should) ask very specific health questions and answer honestly and you will be fine.

On another side note, they are shunned by 'doctors' as they are much more homeopathic and do not believe in perscribed fixes, you want to talk about cash grab then discuss doctors and pharmaceutical companies...

For my chronic headaches - doctors reccomendation, pain killers, that got me a heart murmer and rapid heartbeat due to the severity of the pain and the amount of medication I was taking (I admit I was taking more than reccomended, but there was no relief with reccomended).
Chiro - fixed the issue along with the muscle imbalance causing the issue, now it is up to me. Zero pain killers now. Heart is back to normal after stopping with the pain killers. I will side with good Chiro's personally. (as with anything there are good and bad profesionals, so your experience may vary)

kutt3r
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
I am utterly sceptical about their practices and their ethics.

http://www.chirobase.org/

All of the info you could possibly need.

If I had back problems I'd see a REAL doctor first, and then likely a physiotherapist for rehab and treatment.

If you are skepitical about Chiro then Physio is always a good choice too :thumbsup:

If the first thing the doctor does is perscribe pain killers look else where... that is not a fix that just hides the real issue.

Daan
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I was thinking those do only penis enlargements

Originally posted by Weapon_R
...as you do visiting a voodoo doctor

dannie
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
While I would have agreed with you guys before the last couple months, I am inclined to disagree.

I went to two different chiropractors for years. One did the back cracking and the other used this pen thing. It would create temporary relief, but I always had to go back.

I then started seeing a kick-ass massage therapist who really knows his stuff and he suggested a specific chiropractor because of the fact that he was super thorough.

So I went to this guy out of curiosity and was blown away. I had a massive in depth analysis. My analysis vist was an hour hong and was numerous tests. He also sent me for xrays of my spine to see where the issues are arising.

I went back the next day for the results of the tests and he frikkin nailed the issues. Looking at the spine, you could tell there was obvious displacement which then puts pressure on your nervous system causing all sorts of discomfort. He was VERY thorough and explained every question I asked.

He also uses a machine instead of cracking your back. Its a pulse that he uses over the spinal cord to correct it.

I have gone 3x a week for the last 3 weeks and I can tell you that I feel WAY better after 3 weeks with him than years with the others.

Plus due to the testing, I do feel confident that he is more than capable in his field. He also gives suggestions on things you should do to improve your quality of life depending on what the outcome of the testing was.

Daan
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM
ah, the Chinese chiropractors call that pen the One Eyed Snake. Didn't know it provides temporary relief though.

Originally posted by dannie
[..]One did the back cracking and the other used this pen thing. It would create temporary relief, but I always had to go back.

GREENBOY
07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Nothing wrong with my back but I see a chiro once a month for a quick tune-up to keep everything in proper allignment etc. I had a numb left hand for years, which he fixed in one adjustment and I've never had it since. There are good and bad people in every profession.

xrayvsn
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
xrays of my spine to see where the issues are arising.

I went back the next day for the results of the tests and he frikkin nailed the issues. Looking at the spine, you could tell there was obvious displacement which then puts pressure on your nervous system causing all sorts of discomfort.

Obvious displacement, huh? So how many of these spine x-rays have you looked at to know what "obvious" displacement looks like?:rolleyes:

Idratherbsidewayz
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
When I had whiplash I went to chiro and 2 massage sessions (no physio). Helped me immensely!

Pacman
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Daan
ah, the Chinese chiropractors call that pen the One Eyed Snake. Didn't know it provides temporary relief though.

It provides temporary relief for the owner of the penis or "pen" as the previous poster calls it.

TaiChino
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
They are a quick fix IMO, I had sciatic problems, pain running from the small of my back down my left leg. Chiro said some nerves were getting pinched. I spent a years worth of appointments only to have temporary relief for about an hour after my visit. One day someone mentioned getting orthotics ($400 custom moulded insoles). Just to experiment I bought a $20 pair of Dr. Scholls and within 2 days I had no pain in my back at all and it has not changed. Fuck the Chiro, I'm saving money, time and best of all, I'm gellin' now.

frozenrice
07-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Speaking from personal experience, I've concluded the same thing as the OP. I injured my back playing volleyball a number of years ago. Part of my treatment included regular visits to the chiroscammer. I'd go get my back adjusted and be in pain a few weeks later and basically repeat the process all over. I did this for nearly two years before I finally got tired of the repeated pain episodes. I got my regular doctor to refer me to a physio therapist and after three sessions, regular back exercises and proper posteur, I haven't had any problems for over 5 years.
An interesting fact I learned a few years ago, was that chiros are not recognized by almost all medical associations. Essentially they aren't real doctors according the the real ones.

GTS Jeff
07-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Obvious displacement, huh? So how many of these spine x-rays have you looked at to know what "obvious" displacement looks like?:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: She's got a 4 year residency in radiology DUHHH!!

Davetronz
07-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I think it all depends on the chiropractor, your specific history, the treatment plan, your dedication to getting better etc.

I agree that SOME are just out there to make money. But it's the same as any other industry, there are bad mechanics, bad teachers, bad home builders, bad doctors... My fiance was originally a massage therapist and we are lucky enough to have two extremely close friends who are chiropractors. I have been going to them on and off for the last two years as problems arise. I feel that they have always been truthful, open and willing to put my care and treatment before their money. I feel that what they have done for me has helped my back, hips, neck, shoulders and any other problem I have brought to their attention.

Each chiropractic case is different. Chiropractic won't fix all problems and your chiropractor should recognize this and suggest things such as physiotherapy, massage, stretch/relaxation, muscle and strength building, activity, insoles or corrective footwear, or in other cases, surgery.

Most of these problems that we have (keeping in mind that most of us are between 18-30 years old) have been building and developing for over 10 years. Two or three sessions of corrective therapy won't fix these problems permanently. You may see temporary release, but unless you keep going on a regular basis (more often at first and then less and less as time goes on and you feel better) you will just go right back to where you were before you started.

revelations
07-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Seks
I was starting to have trouble sleeping back in Oct time frame. I've tried 3 diff mattresses, a couple of couches...and even sleeping on the floor too. I'd wake up in the wee hours of the morning with a bit of a back ache...sometimes in the lower back, sometimes in the middle to upper back...sometimes the whole back. I'd take Advil just to try to lessen the pain and get myself back to sleep.

Initially I started going to a Chiro 2-3 times a week (as recommended by the Chiro). Then after a month or two or so, I started going once a week. Every single time I went there, it's always the same cracking procedure. For the past few months, since spring, I've pretty much gave up on the treatment and avoided going because I still have back aches from time to time when I wake up.

The dumb thing is that the office still calls me and try to schedule me in. Their reason is that I should still do "maintenance visits". I think it's more like them wanting a short 15 min of my time so they can bill Alberta Health or my benefits provider and get their $.

Keep in mind that I do go to the gym...and yes I do my work outs properly with proper forms. And I went back to school FT back in Sept and I thought it may have been my back pack being too heavy.

I am starting to think that chiro is just an unjustifiable health treatment...and from what I've read, it's not a proven practice that can cure back problems.

What do you guys think?

Check to see if you have a leg thats grossly unequal in lenght to the other. My left left (femur specifically) is about 3/4" shorter than my right, which caused back pain for years until I got a shoe "lift kit"... haha (ie insole)

G-Suede
07-12-2008, 11:36 AM
^ Off topic, but you need a much bigger signature.

revelations
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
odd.... I cant see anything (firefox 3)

max_boost
07-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Seks

What do you guys think?

I had the exact same problems when I hurt my lower back for the first time 4 years ago. Man I had no idea WTF was going on other than I could barely walk. While I did a few sessions with the Chiro, it was a simple suggestion from my family doctor that got me feeling all good again. This was after he gave me a lesson to never see the Chiro again haha He gave me some prescription pills, padded my back with a hot and cold pack and that's all I needed. I was better within a couple weeks. It still lingers from time to time but nothing serious. Actually a couple weeks ago it flared up for the first time in a long time. Felt a slight pinch in the lower back while playing badminton, didn't think anything of it and the next afternoon I could barely walk up the stairs. All I did was just ice my back for 30 mins and it was like a fucking miracle. I felt perfectly fine after. :eek:

LadyLuck
07-13-2008, 12:36 AM
I used to have terrible back and neck pain, last year i decided to visit my moms chiropractor and started out with the twice a week for 3 months treatment. I couldnt sleep, couldnt eat well and eventually it got so bad that i could barely move, after about 5 months i felt great.
I would recommend my chiropractor to anybody. hes been great and has helped me. my posture is better then before and i do not have anymore troubles sleeping.

i personally love the feeling of having my neck and back cracked, it feels great.

00redLUDE
07-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Obvious displacement, huh? So how many of these spine x-rays have you looked at to know what "obvious" displacement looks like?:rolleyes:

Now, now, now don't be like that. Anyone can see 'obvious displacement' :nut: The main question is why do the radiology clinics allow/accepts chiropractors to order x-rays?! :dunno: I knew of a chiropractor that tried to order an ultrasound for a patient that he thought had a hiatus hernia??!!! :rofl: :rofl: Good thing the radiology clinic declined the request.

Masked Bandit
07-13-2008, 07:05 AM
I have never known anyone to ever be "cured" from any kind of Chiro treatment. It seems like once you start going, you have to keep going and going and going. The deep tissue massage worked for me when I was injured in a car accident. Like others have said though, don't think it's going to be a happy, nice little rub-down. The girls that I saw was this cute little 110 lbs piece of sweetness but it felt like a 400 lb gorilla was beating the hell out of me. I don't know how she did that but I wish I could have dated her.....lol.

Sworkhard
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I've found chiropractors can help as long as you go for a 5-10 minute walk immediately after getting the adjustment (before driving home). That being said, the right exercise (including some strenght training) and stretching routine is essential if you ever hope for chiropractic adjustments to 'cure' you as without exercise, the muscles just tighten up the way they were before the adjustment causing recurring pain. For me it's a quick way to loosen my upper back/neck muscles so I can sleep well. Assuming I go to the gym at least every other day starting the day after the adjustment and work out my upper body focusing on upper back and shoulder strenth, and then stretch completely afterwords, I won't need to be back for months.

D. Dub
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM

I have gone 3x a week for the last 3 weeks and I can tell you that I feel WAY better after 3 weeks with him than years with the others.

Plus due to the testing, I do feel confident that he is more than capable in his field. He also gives suggestions on things you should do to improve your quality of life depending on what the outcome of the testing was.

Placebo