PDA

View Full Version : Title problems: importing from CA

wrcftw
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of importing an STi from California. Seller is a good guy and I've known him for a while so no worries about anything shady. Anyways, he misplaced his pink slip and so has no physical title. He has filed for a duplicate, but apparently it takes a long time for them to actually mail you a duplicate title.

I've checked on the DMV's website and it says you can transfer a title with a request for duplicate only. Probably not the smartest thing for me to do, however time is a factor and don't want to wait the months. Can I anticipate any problems at the border? Any idea what sorts of documents they will be giving me at the DMV if we transfer the title like this?

Jlude
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Maybe call the border and ask them if it's gonna be a hastle... then speak with the DMV and ask them what kind of documents are given throughout this process...

dannie
07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
The only problem I can think of is that when I brought my car over the border, one of the things the needed was the original title. If you don't have that, I am not sure if they would export you out of the U.S. and import you to Canada. Mine got stamped from the US customs guy as "cleared for export."

clem24
07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
You need the title. When you fax your info to the border crossing, they need the a.) the completed worksheet and b.) CLEAR TITLE. Missing one of these and they won't even look at it. Period.

Without title, you're kind of stuck AFAIK.

rage2
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
No title, no export on the USA side. No export, Canada won't let the car in.

I hate buying US cars from Cali, especially if the previous owner has a loan/lease on it, because he won't have the title (it's all electronic) and it takes 6-8 weeks. No fun.

US Border needs to tap into the ELT system to solve the problem, but I doubt it's a priority for them.

funkedelic
07-12-2008, 04:28 PM
this happened to my brother in law a few years back, he had to wait about 2 weeks actually to get a title for a florida car. Maybe he got lucky.

Kobe
07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Yah they will just make you keep the car at the boarder, and they will not let you cross