PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari to Build Hybrid Sportscar

Zephyr
07-12-2008, 03:05 AM
http://devicedaily.com/environment/ferrari-planning-to-build-a-hybrid-sportscar.html/

I think that there is no need in reminding you that greenhouse gases are affecting the air which is more and more polluted. Due to this problem, car manufacturers are forced to design greener cars that will not have negative impacts on the environment.

We all know what Toyota managed to do as the Prius is the most renowned hybrid-car in the world. A while ago, the European Council came up with a new rule which will lead the automakers to manufacture cars with an 130g/km limit of the CO2 levels by 2012. This ruling would ruin the business of supercar manufacturers like Ferrari or Lamborghini.

In a recent interview with German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said that they are planning to reduce CO2 levels by 40% before 2012. They will make it possible thanks to a new hybrid technology and Ferrari might build cars powered by turbocharged V6 engines which are smaller and more fuel-efficient.

“We are currently working on the development of a Ferrari that will use alternative energy sources and which will be based on what we are doing at the moment in Formula 1″, he said. KERS or Kinetic Energy Recycling System is a technique based on the brake-energy-regeneration principle and it consists of a super-efficient CVT gearbox which uses a spinning flywheel to harness energy when the car brakes. This energy will be perfect to increase the acceleration needed when overtaking or cornering.

In the end, Luca di Montezemolo revealed that the hybrid Ferrari “would still have to fundamentally a Ferrari” therefore we can still expect high-performance cars. The problem is that the first hybrid Ferraris will enter on the market “until around 2015″. I guess we will have to wait and see what Ferrari will prepare for us.

But doesn't the production of the battery itself cause a lot more environmental damage?

Canmorite
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
"A while ago, the European Council came up with a new rule which will lead the automakers to manufacture cars with an 130g/km limit of the CO2 levels by 2012. This ruling would ruin the business of supercar manufacturers like Ferrari or Lamborghini."

They should be exempt. There are so few of these high-end cars on the road compared to everyday commuter cars.

rmk
07-12-2008, 10:55 AM
For sure they are looking at that. It is said that the F60 will be a TT V8 instead of a 12.

herragge
07-14-2008, 12:03 AM
^^^^ wouldn't be hard, considering in their flag ship lineage, the F40 runs a twin turbo'd V8.

The automotive world is changing as we speak. Environmental concerns at the center of the change.

arian_ma
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Isn't the F60 the Enzo and already runs a V12? Sorry if I missed something.

schocker
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Some people call it that, but the enzo was not the F60, that is just a common misconception. I dont know how i feel about FI ferraris though.

Eleanor
07-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

I was under that impression as well.

Booo to hybrid powered Ferrari. Make a V8-TT and run it on so called "clean" ethanol instead.

95EagleAWD
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
The F40 was a TT V8 and it's considered the most rediculous car ever built by the company.

Carlton
07-14-2008, 12:31 PM
The F40 was a 2.9L V8 Twin Turbo. That's crazy.

Whiley
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
yes & no, the Enzo code name was officially FX, but was also generally considered as the F60

Originally posted by arian_ma