PDA

View Full Version : Integra next mod decision. help

Ekliptix
08-07-2002, 09:50 PM
My 91 RS currently has almost 150,000km, short intake w/dryer ducting, solo short through, and 2-1/4 piping w/ resonator and Magnaflow for exhaust. I'm riding on steelies.

I want to either get some Skunk2's or GC's, or a DC 4-2-1 CC header. I'd probably need to get a camber kit w/ the drop + alignment and installation.

I plan in keeping my car for some time. I occasionally do Solo2 racing, but I also like beating my V8 truck equiped brother in a straight line.

(all prices are Canadian) I can get the DC header for $505 +gst + install. I don't know about the price on the GC or skunk2's but I'm guessing $500-600 + ingals camber kit + install.

I'm willing to keep my stock shocks and struts on because koni yellows are $900 here. When selling my teg(t oget another) I'd want to return it to stock, so having the factory suspansion in working cond. would be good.

So:
1. get dc header
2. get gc/skunk2 co's
3. get cheaper parts like Chikara TS and/or Maxspeed style co's
4. other(state)

edit: and I've been limiting myself to 1 mod per year cuz of my tight budget.(not tight like in the way that cool non-white people mean, ex: "yo. that shitz is illin'. hella tight dun.")

Thank beyond brethren,

Ferio_vti
08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
How about lowering and getting some phat rims??

Ekliptix
08-07-2002, 10:05 PM
how about I wish i had the $$ to do that? haha

Those rims for sale by import girl are a good deal, but I don't feel safe spending that much of my budget on mods for my ride.

Ferio_vti
08-07-2002, 10:59 PM
What's your budget??

Ekliptix
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm making 500 dollars/week for 4 months. then..who knows?

legendboy
08-07-2002, 11:10 PM
lower it

cocoabrova
08-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Get some springs, and a set of 94 GS-R rims... :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

Ferio_vti
08-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Don't get coil overs. You have to ask yourself, how often are you gonna need to be adjusting the ride height??
Just go with lowering springs.

TomTom
08-07-2002, 11:26 PM
lower it, get some konis, some nice struts and the gsr wheels if possible, that would be pretty nice i think, a nicer smoother ride
or buy my rims:) lol

also post a pic of the car so everyone can give opinions on what you could do!?

buh_buh
08-08-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Cal
Im not all that bright with cars,but I know a bit.
But im not sure what you should do here:dunno:
then why say anything at all?

I say go for suspension.
by far the best mod I've done so far.

buh_buh
08-08-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by TomTom
get some konis, some nice struts
Konis are struts.:nut:

shadowz
08-08-2002, 02:12 AM
I think he was stating that hahaha but anyway I would lower the car first

Ben
08-08-2002, 03:05 AM
Do what ever you want...dont build your car to everyone elses specs, build it to your specs

Ekliptix
08-08-2002, 07:10 AM
I think I would want it adjustable because I'd need to raise it in the winter to get around. I live in the country and roads are plowwed latter then in the city. If not for that, I'd get some Neuspeed Race springs.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I would enjoy lowering it more then the header(I've got like 6.5 finger wheel gap now!)

redline
08-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Benny
Do what ever you want...dont build your car to everyone elses specs, build it to your specs

really who cares what other people would do, its your car and your money. You have to decide if you want power or handling more!

but is that DC header stainless? if not you are paying too much!

All the ingals style cambers kits break. I suggest using a ball joint style camber kit for the front.

jaylo
08-08-2002, 10:12 AM
u can lower it w/ Eibach Springs w/c isn't pretty bad 1.8"F and 1.5"R, and you can still drive it in winter. The springs are not too stiff, not to soft

Ekliptix
08-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by redline

really who cares what other people would do, its your car and your money. You have to decide if you want power or handling more!

but is that DC header stainless? if not you are paying too much!

All the ingals style cambers kits break. I suggest using a ball joint style camber kit for the front.

that's the best price I've been able to find in Calgary. Where can I get a better price?

jaylo: I want a bigger drop then that. Thanks

redline
08-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

that's the best price I've been able to find in Calgary. Where can I get a better price?

that is not bad given the $ i guess

Look on www.groupbuycenter.com they can be dirt cheap on there!

legendboy
08-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Just get the Ground Controls. You can ask people forever what they think and they will all tell u the same thing. GC's are the best all round ricer coilover. Just go to Tunerworks and buy them. Rob will sell them for about $550. They feel the best, are the best quality for a slip on, and they are adjustable. + everytime someone asks u what kind of springs u have u will always feel good after u tell them GC's. Don't cheap out, just get the proper equipment the first time and u'll never be disapointed.

EDIT: and + our cars are slow, once u get nice tires + the springs u'll have so much more fun than say with a header or something

buh_buh
08-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Don't get coil overs. You have to ask yourself, how often are you gonna need to be adjusting the ride height??
Just go with lowering springs.
I have ground controls, and I adjust mine all the time.
I've probably adjusted more than 10 times in the past 3 or 4 months.

redline
08-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I have ground controls, and I adjust mine all the time.
I've probably adjusted more than 10 times in the past 3 or 4 months.

that is always good for the alignment. :banghead:

jaylo
08-08-2002, 02:48 PM

Yeah I still have a 3 finger gap w/ my half worn avid h4's. It would be nicer if it's lower but you have to think about the stress it's going to put on your whole suspension 1nce you go over 2"

For sure you will need a camber kit for the front and the "washer" trick for the back.

Yeah GC's are quite good for your case 550 is not bad, but you should wait til you have enough moolah for dampers as well... Do it all at the same time, but if you feel that your stock dampers will hold up then you should go ahead w/ the GC's :)

Ekliptix
08-08-2002, 05:42 PM
some people say that stock shocks and struts will be destroyed after lowering a car more then about 2". Other people have are lowered more then that with stock shocks and struts for over 1.5yrs and have now problems. I'll try stock shocks and struts for now, and if they blow, I'll just have to put up w/ it till i have enough money for aftermarket ones if I don't have the $ at the time.

redline
08-08-2002, 06:37 PM
I do not recommend driving around on blown shocks. The car very unstable at most speeds.

Audi Kid
08-08-2002, 06:43 PM
i got stock struts..rides really good! a lil soft but whateves...

Ekliptix
08-08-2002, 06:44 PM
ok. From what I've read on the net. The only shocks/struts that can be reliably used with +2" drop are adjustable ones like Koni yellows or those 5-way adjustable ones.

Can anyone verify that there are no non-adjustable shocks/struts that can reliably be used with a +2" drop?

Thanks

redline
08-08-2002, 08:33 PM
the tokico blues will last but for a drop that low the springs rates are normally quite high and the blues are not well matched to most springs. Konis have a quite high rate of valving that are well matched to high spring rates.

If you want a super slammer car i would recommend full coil overs so you can get some proper suspension travel.

For hondas 1 1/2" drop is about low as you want to go for good handling.

Ferio_vti
08-08-2002, 10:35 PM
I think I would want it adjustable because I'd need to raise it in the winter to get around. I live in the country and roads are plowwed latter then in the city. If not for that, I'd get some Neuspeed Race springs.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I would enjoy lowering it more then the header(I've got like 6.5 finger wheel gap now!)

That changes everything. Yah, I'd say go with the adjustables then.:thumbsup:

Ekliptix
08-11-2002, 09:48 PM
I've decided that I'm going to get some Skunk2/GC's and only drop it about 1.5" to save my shocks. When I can afford it, I'll get some shocks/struts that will handle more lowering.