PDA

View Full Version : How Intense are your workouts?

Darkane
07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Poll.

This is truly something I've wondered. When I first started training, I 'thought' I was intense.

Now It's a whole new level! It's not because of some supplement either. My MIND got into the game.

Before If I did a set of 10 and was breathing heavy I thought it was intense.

2 weeks ago I timed my self on one of my 20rep Leg press sets and it took me 67seconds to do one set!

I got up and as usual lost more than half my hearing and huge ringing sounds came.

Some people puke, some lose hearing. After I regained my composure I felt like destroying somebody. THAT is how you get your natural testosterone going!

Balls to the Wall 9-9.5/10

nj2Type-S
07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
i duno how "intense" my workout schedule compared to others but here's my sched:

mon: chest & triceps
tues: muay thai
wed: shoulders & biceps
thurs: rest
fri: muay thai
sat: back & legs, muay thai
sun: rest

Darkane
07-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i duno how "intense" my workout schedule compared to others but here's my sched:

mon: chest & triceps
tues: muay thai
wed: shoulders & biceps
thurs: rest
fri: muay thai
sat: back & legs, muay thai
sun: rest

See that's the thing! It's not the schedule, it's the time DURING the workout.

You could go to the gym x7/wk, and people think you're hardcore. But working out x3/wk and feeling beat, you know the intensity level is up.

The question I'm asking is, Do you guys feel like you've given it everything you got? I leave everything in the gym. Just like Sports. When I played ball, fourth quarter was all or nothing. Play so hard you cannot walk off the field. Take that attitude to the gym. Gains will ultimately follow.

pinoyhero
07-12-2008, 10:05 PM
^ agreed, that's why I love pukie and crossfit

Oz-
07-12-2008, 11:37 PM
As I have started approaching 5 wheels on my deadlift I have started to see stars, a bloody nose, snot flying out of my nose, etc. But that is when I work up to a big single.

Recently, my 8-10 repper of deadlifts is killing me since I am dead stopping the weight again. The last couple of reps it takes everything in me to lock out that weight.

But to be honest its the big compound lifts that take the most out of me. Either way, when I leave and my CNS is firing I know that I worked my ass off. It doesn't mean that I have to not be able to walk out of the gym. My motivation comes from progressing, me vs my logbook.

max_boost
07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Been doing a lot of reading recently and I'm going to give the high intensity training a shot. It's all about pushing yourself and constantly trying to reach a 'new peak' in order to make yourself stronger? So balls to the walls right. BTW, I'm following the suggestions in the book "Body for Life" :D :thumbsup:

nj2Type-S
07-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

See that's the thing! It's not the schedule, it's the time DURING the workout.

You could go to the gym x7/wk, and people think you're hardcore. But working out x3/wk and feeling beat, you know the intensity level is up.

The question I'm asking is, Do you guys feel like you've given it everything you got? I leave everything in the gym. Just like Sports. When I played ball, fourth quarter was all or nothing. Play so hard you cannot walk off the field. Take that attitude to the gym. Gains will ultimately follow.

ahhh....i try to go all out in the gym but it's kinda hard to push myself without a spotter, lol....i get scared that i'd hurt myself or something. :cry:

civic_rida
07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I do more posing then lifting ahahah.
I usually go about 45 minutes of moderate intensity get the sweat going but not going to puke or pass out.

94CoRd
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM

ahhh....i try to go all out in the gym but it's kinda hard to push myself without a spotter, lol....i get scared that i'd hurt myself or something. :cry:

You just have to battle. I find I can get at least 2 - 3 more out of a rep if I don't have a spotter. It's something about not wanting the weights to crush me...

Darkane
07-13-2008, 10:30 AM

You're right. Guess what? Don't do bench alone.

Instead do dumbbells, dips or other chest stuff.

Honestly though, Only after deads, Rack pulls, squats, or high rep leg presses do I loose hearing. All those don't require spotters.

You recruit a lot more motor units using more muscles. that's why doing compound lifts like the the ones above will sometimes have you "Seeing stars" :)

Also on a side note, the way my current routine is set up I'm not to go to failure. Infact, I stay around 1 rep short of failure. The thing is when I'm doing a heavy squat set of 6 for example, If I think I might be able to hit 7 I will and the fact that I'm not supposed to fail, I will just drive the weight up with everything I got. Kind of like the fear of being crushed lol

Oz,

Maybe it's just me, or the way my routine is set up, but after a leg day walking down the stairs of my gym is a damn chore! haha

kertejud2
07-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I try to keep my intensity so high that after 3 sets of 3 at 70% squats my core is so exhausted that I have trouble walking back to my car. Same goes for cleans.

Oz-
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Darkane,

I think it might also be because I am dragging the sled twice a week and do LISS 3-4 times a week. I have also put some ankle straps on order to drag it from my ankles instead of holding it at belt height, this will have carry over to my pulls and squats.

Only days that I can't walk out of the gym are when I have a 10 x 3 at 70/75/80% free/box squat. But that just means I stretch for an extra 15 minutes after.

BTW I was on a 4 day Westside routine, with a day each for max effort squats and bench, followed by a day each of speed work for squat and bench.

Oz-
07-13-2008, 01:04 PM

If you go to a gym that is decent then you likely have a power rack to use the pins, don't be scared of it. Use it for bench, squats, pretty much everything except for bicep curls.

LUCKYSTRIKE
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
I do more posing then lifting ahahah.
I usually go about 45 minutes of moderate intensity get the sweat going but not going to puke or pass out.

pussy.

civic_rida
07-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Its not like im tryin to be a pro bodybuilder.

Canmorite
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Fucking intense. I mow lawns for 10 hours a day.

EG STyLeZ
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
One hour workouts of 15-20 sets of 6-8 reps pretty much forces you to have an intense workouts

I've been seeing relatively good gains lately and high intensity is one of the things I've attributed that to

KRyn
07-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Whats the point of going to the gym if you don't go balls to the walls?

Does bursting blood vessels in your noise because you are squatting so heavy and deep count as balls to the walls?

kerry
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I've thrown up from working out before. Doing wrestling drills and the "MMA" circuit we do sometimes. It gases you hardcore with how much you have to push your cardio.

I've also been at the point of puking from my weight training. Superset heavy with light weights and minimal rest between.

But it could be because I'm a deadbeat like KRyn said before...

KRyn
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
This could be true to Kerry, but more likely the cause of your puking was being in the immediate vicinity of deadbeats. I hear they smell pretty haggard.
:barf:

I also have puked after training legs.

P.S Your pretty.

kertejud2
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Whats the point of going to the gym if you don't go balls to the walls?

Does bursting blood vessels in your noise because you are squatting so heavy and deep count as balls to the walls?

There was an Olympic bobsledder, I think he was/is the fastest man over 30m, who had to dead lift and clean with a diaper because he would often shit his pants in the set position.

kerry
07-14-2008, 05:51 PM
No us deadbeats rock popped collars, Burberry sunglasses, fake tans, Lacoste cologne, and most importantly your girlfriends ;)

I kid I kid.

I usually get close to throwing up after doing legs too. Fucking lunges get me. IMO we should be training right at our limit. Don't cross it because you can get hurt. Go right to the edge, give it a big fuck you and keep on truckin!

a social dsease
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I probably go about 6/10. I mean I like to push myself but I don't want to pull any muscles or make myself so sore I can't function the next day. I try to increase weight by a few pounds every week, or do an extra rep or two so I feel like I'm progressing, but really I just go to the gym to stay in shape and feel good, not to try to turn into some huge ragin freakazoid musclehead.

I bet most of you 9/10 guys are grunters too eh? :D

Darkane
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm a breather for sure, the last couple reps I might let out a bit of a grunt.

I work out with headphones so I'm kind of conscious of my noise level. I don't want to bother other people so I grunt quieter because I'm not sure how loud I am lol.

KRyn
07-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Ya lunges always seem to push me over the top. I usually save them for later in my leg routines. I actually like waking up sore the next day; you really know you worked hard at the gym that way. Don't forget to do lots of stretches after a good leg session, I have found this to be key.

So that is the secret to deadbeat success!

:D

Ya hurting your self in the gym is just plain stupid.

1-Bar
07-15-2008, 09:05 AM
good poll....me and a member on here were wondering the same thing a few weeks back :thumbsup:

Carlton
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
So intense that I puke everywhere right after.

nj2Type-S
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
lol, how the hell do you guys puke after a hard workout???

b_t
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
lol, how the hell do you guys puke after a hard workout???

I'm not sure either, I've never managed it. I see spots quite a bit, but I just assumed that's because the bar was pinching off the bloodflow to my head when I was doing squats.

Twice now I have fallen down the stairs from the gym after a good leg day. That's how I know I've had a good workout :rofl:

scboss
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
i superset everything and ive never puked from lifting but i have from running a long ass time. I find supersetting gives you crazy workouts because you can fit way more exercises in! I have had leg days where i have to hold the railing while going up stairs haha

Dumbass17
07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
i've never felt that much
i dont have the motivation to even work out that hard haha
i go maybe 6-7/10 for intensity
i'm seeing results but i just wanna tone up and get fit
not get huge at all

teg_boya
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I think puking is usually a result of a heavy lift/shit loads of reps mixed with a crazy cardio. I never get close to puking by just lifting weights. If i hit a core workout out hard enough my abs feel like globs, but not so much a sick feeling. I like my m,muscles to be larger then average and toned, so i have no need to go ALL out lie a true body builder.

Neil4Speed
07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Darkane - I have allot of respect for your gym work ethic, thats fantastic to have such good control of your body and be able to push yourself to the redline.

I would put my workouts at about 6/10 - I need to get better though.

The big plus with intensity is that you get allot of fat burn as well! You keep your heart rate up which is great!

The only thing that I don't like about high intensity is that in a way, it takes a little bit of the fun away from working out, I never want to go to the gym and think of it as a chore.

b_t
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Being intense is a key part of going to the gym. If I go and don't feel burnt out when I leave, I know I just wasted my time.

89coupe
07-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I just workout to maintain my appearance...LOL.

My warm-ups for Judo are way more intense then my workout at the gym.

:rofl:

Darkane
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Darkane - I have allot of respect for your gym work ethic, thats fantastic to have such good control of your body and be able to push yourself to the redline.

Thank you. I'd like to think I still got some work mentally to do. I mean It's almost impossible to be in the mind set of total destruction every time. I guess that's why I love my battle metal so much hah.

B_T falling down the stairs is money. Welcome to the club :)

Here's something that's not really fun, but a good judge of character. If anybody is interested in really finding out what they're made of do this:

It's called Rest pause work.

Take a weight you know you can do on squats, say 185x10. (Caution, use a box for this so you do the same depth every single rep. Fatigue will be painful and you will high squat in the teen reps)

Now at the end of this 10 you should be basically spent, you might have 1 rep in the tank. Now your objective is to do another 5-7 reps without racking the bar as fast as possible.

After 10, stand there and breathe, wait maybe 5-10 seconds and try to hammer out 1-2 reps. when you reach 12 breathe, 5-10seconds, try to hit 13 and 14.

Keep in mind this is actually designed for an "advanced lifter" I've never done this before on squats, but I do something similar for leg press. Except the weight I have on the leg press is for 20 reps, but at 15 I get so tired I sneak in 2-3 breathes a couple times.

I need more cardio work :D

bashir26
07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I usually work out for 30-45min at 70%. I'm usually pretty tired when I'm done. I say I'm about average

Oz-
07-15-2008, 06:00 PM
This is quite possibly the most intense drop set I have ever seen. Done by Matt Kroczaleski, who I think is attempting to reach a 2400 total in the 225lb weight class.

5KkvrVq_0CM

KRyn
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Just a video I enjoy watching before going to the gym. I belive O-lifting to be the most difficult form of weight training out there. Also the most usefull, what do you really need huge pecs for other than impressing girls

SB523WntoaY

Dumbass17
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
what do you guys do for core?
i need to strengthen it!!

b_t
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Just a video I enjoy watching before going to the gym. I belive O-lifting to be the most difficult form of weight training out there. Also the most usefull, what do you really need huge pecs for other than impressing girls

SB523WntoaY

jesus that's pretty intense

b_t
07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
what do you guys do for core?
i need to strengthen it!!

do cable woodchoppers
Cable station - put a stirrup handle on the high spot
Grab it and keeping your arms perfectly straight, bring the weight out in front of you as you rotate away from the machine. Only twist your hips, and make sure your arms are straight. Do a set of 10 on either side.
Its the only abs exercise you need to do. Dragon flags, sit ups, crunches, fuck all those.. nothing works your whole core as hard as woodchoppers.

Darkane
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Corework:

Weighted crunches/Reverse Hypers for the posterior.

Also:

Low pull through, Pull through.

Remember, Core includes the backside too :D

Oz-
07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Corework:

Weighted crunches/Reverse Hypers for the posterior.

Also:

Low pull through, Pull through.

Remember, Core includes the backside too :D

Not many gyms have reverse hypers, because Louis has the design patented and won't license to the "name" brands that you see at most gyms. More likely to find glute ham raise at gyms around the city, but you can also just do them ghetto styles.

Good Mornings also help the posterior chain.

Glute Ham Raise - with machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0oqLDZ8JcI

Glute Ham Raise - ghetto styles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6Ai5ty6oY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBgbdHQmxA - if you are by yourself

Good Mornings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbPWMs-iTR0 - these are seated and the guy in the video can probably squat a 1000lbs so just go with some light light weight at first to get used to the exercise.