PDA

View Full Version : What border to cross when importing car to Calgary?

Coleus
07-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I live in Calgary. I read lots of thread from Calgarians saying the border to cross is sweet grass/coutts. However, I looked up all available borders along Montana. The close border from Calgary is the Carway AB/Peigan MT not Coutts. Any reason why most ppl choose coutts over carway?

Also, any one know if you can cross the border on the weekend? I know that they open 24/7 but some one said that you have to cross during business hour of exporting officer. Is this true?

Thanks for any feedbacks

Tik-Tok
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Coleus
However, I looked up all available border along Montana border plus google map. The shortest distance is the Carway AB/Peigan MT which saves you 30 minute drives. Any reason why coutts over carway?

Shortest distance to where?

analbumcover
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Preety sure it has to be sweetgrass Montana

Also you can import at anytime as long as you faxed all the appropriate paperwork sent in at least 72 hours in advance

Coleus
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Shortest distance to where?

Sorry for not being so clear. According to google maps

The distance from Calgary to Coutts is 317 km – about 3 hours 34 mins drive

while

from Calgary to Carway is 257 km – about 2 hours 56 mins

My question is why choose Coutts over Carway border when the drive is longer?

nbaker00
07-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Our cars are dropped off at Billings, and cross at Coutts.

soloracer
07-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Coutts is the only approved Alberta crossing for exporting a car from the US to Canada.

soloracer
07-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
Preety sure it has to be sweetgrass Montana

Also you can import at anytime as long as you faxed all the appropriate paperwork sent in at least 72 hours in advance

But is it important to note that the paperwork gets faxed to another border crossing than the Coutts one. I think it's Caraway but I have to look it up to be sure.

soloracer
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
It's the Port of Whitlash that you fax your paperwork (title, etc.)

WHITLASH, MT. FAX Number for vehicle exports is 406-432-5528

Tik-Tok
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM

My question is why choose Coutts over Carway border when the drive is longer?

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Yes that border crossing IS closer, but, it's not like there's a giant used car lot right on the other side, waiting for Canadians to come down and claim their car.

Sweetgrass is closer to "major" Montana cities, where you'll find it easier to get a car shipped to.

Coleus
07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by nbaker00
Our cars are dropped off at Billings, and cross at Coutts.

any recommend auto transport company? And what is the closet drop point to the border? Billings is like another 6 hours drive

CK4500
07-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I practically get a cavity search every time I cross at Coutts. Canadian side are a bunch of a-holes. I've used Portal North Dakota into North Portal Saskatchewan the last two times. Canadian side has been quick and easy. (total time spent: 20 min, including US side). Worth the drive, and there isn't any of those 1-4 hour line ups.

TYMSMNY
07-14-2008, 06:11 AM
I live in Calgary. I read lots of thread from Calgarians saying the border to cross is sweet grass/coutts. However, I looked up all available borders along Montana. The close border from Calgary is the Carway AB/Peigan MT not Coutts. Any reason why most ppl choose coutts over carway?

Also, any one know if you can cross the border on the weekend? I know that they open 24/7 but some one said that you have to cross during business hour of exporting officer. Is this true?

Thanks for any feedbacks

There are certain border crossings that accept vehicle exportation/importation and sweetgrass is one of them. Carway is not.

They are open 24/7 and will take cars basically any time of day as long as you have faxed them all the docs 72 hours before hand. extremely easy process.

YamahaV8
07-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
Coutts is the only approved Alberta crossing for exporting a car from the US to Canada.

:werd: Yup this is true.

nbaker00
07-14-2008, 07:44 AM

any recommend auto transport company? And what is the closet drop point to the border? Billings is like another 6 hours drive
Get the cars dropped at billings.

Car Couriers FTW!!

schocker
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
billings isnt too far of a drive, and the roads between billings and sweet grass are :drool:

4DoorGTZ
07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by schocker
billings isnt too far of a drive, and the roads between billings and sweet grass are :drool:

Yep Great Falls to Billings via Judith Gap is a fun road :thumbsup: