PDA

View Full Version : 10 days in Oahu, Hawaii

LUDELVR
07-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Who's been and how'd you like it? What's a good itinerary for 10 days there?

Cheers!

brown_guy
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Make sure you go to sky Dive Hawaii Best place in the world and you can get a 1 min free fall :thumbsup:

ibcnya
07-13-2008, 10:44 PM
go see dog the mounty hunter!!!

Quizzes
07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Rent a car and drive around the island on the Kamehameha HWY for a day. Visit North Shore and Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. The beaches on the northside are definitely better and quieter than Waikiki and you can probably spot a few tortoises coming up on shore.

Donmega
07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Im going down to Maui for 6 nights for our honeymoon. Its our first destination from our vacation package. anyone with any insights about Maui?

sorry I hijacked your thread sort of LUDELVR. :)

89coupe
07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Was there last Nov and have already booked my trip back for this Oct.:thumbsup:

My Hawaii thread is here. Tons of pics and descriptions.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/198416/aloha-from-hawaii/

CaptainReboot
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
I was thinking of taking my wife there in Novemember. What's a good amount of time to stay and what's a reasonable cost? Is it cheaper to stay in certain places?

89coupe
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
I was thinking of taking my wife there in Novemember. What's a good amount of time to stay and what's a reasonable cost? Is it cheaper to stay in certain places?

Last year we stayed for 7nights and I found it wasn't enough time to see all that we wanted to see. So this year we booked for 10 nights.

Last year it cost us $3100.00 for 7nights, flights and hotel for 3 people. This year its costing us $3400 for 10nights, flights and hotel for 3 people.

LUDELVR
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Donmega

sorry I hijacked your thread sort of LUDELVR. :)

It's all good mate, just don't be surprised if I jack your bed during your honeymoon! :devil:

:rofl:

One question about money down there, do our debit cards from Canada work there or will I need to get some travelers' cheques? I'd like to use my credit card as little as possible but if I need to that's all good, and I hate carrying too much cash...like it was ever a problem for me in the past, but still!!:rofl:

CaptainReboot
07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Last year we stayed for 7nights and I found it wasn't enough time to see all that we wanted to see. So this year we booked for 10 nights.

Last year it cost us $3100.00 for 7nights, flights and hotel for 3 people. This year its costing us $3400 for 10nights, flights and hotel for 3 people.

That doesn't sound like a bad price. Where did you book?

89coupe
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

It's all good mate, just don't be surprised if I jack your bed during your honeymoon! :devil:

:rofl:

One question about money down there, do our debit cards from Canada work there or will I need to get some travelers' cheques? I'd like to use my credit card as little as possible but if I need to that's all good, and I hate carrying too much cash...like it was ever a problem for me in the past, but still!!:rofl:

Debit cards work fine, but why use debit when you can use your credit card and collect points?

89coupe
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot

That doesn't sound like a bad price. Where did you book?

I booked through Expedia this year. I caught one of their 24hr sales and got 40% off the vacation price.

They have them all the time, so its good to check everyday.

max_boost
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
How long is the flight from Calgary to Oahu?

benyl
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't think there is a direct one. The flight from Van was about 5 hours.

Do the Shrimp stand. The best garlic shrimp I have ever had.

Everything in Oahu happens early and on time.

If you go to hanauma bay, go early before all the japanese get there. They kick up the sand and kick you in the head with their fins. they laugh after they do it too. fuckers.

The Arizona memorial was interesting... go early as well.

DFS galleria is a good place to shop if your bring a girl... Some of their prices are good, but not always. Definitely beats the boutique shop prices though.

Eat a Longhi's and Roy's. Both places are a little bit higher than average in price, but the food is great. Make sure you get the lava cake desert at Roy's.

Go into the ABC store and get a sushi roll with SPAM in it. Really good... lol.

89coupe
07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I donabout 5 hours.

Eat a Longhi's and Roy's. Both places are a little bit higher than average in price, but the food is great. Make sure you get the lava cake desert at Roy's.

Go into the ABC store and get a sushi roll with SPAM in it. Really good... lol.

Yeh, they don't do direct flights anymore.

Roy's was our favorite restaurant, awesome food!

Hakkola
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I didn't know there were such good deals on flights and hotels, and that it is only a 5 hour flight from Van. That isn't bad, I'll have to go sometime.

If you go to hanauma bay, go early before all the japanese get there. They kick up the sand and kick you in the head with their fins. they laugh after they do it too. fuckers.

Japanese people have fins? :eek:

benyl
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Roy's was our favorite restaurant, awesome food!

Probably was the best dinner we had. We went to Longhi's for lunch.

Roy's requires reservations.

finboy
07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I didn't know there were such good deals on flights and hotels, and that it is only a 5 hour flight from Van. That isn't bad, I'll have to go sometime.

Japanese people have fins? :eek:

if you shop around you can get some great deals, especially in the off season. i don't know if they have the super ferry's up and running yet, but if they do i recommend you hop over to maui and check it out, snorkeling is a good bet anywhere in hawaii, a luau is always cool if you haven't seen one, i've heard the zip-line they have on maui is pretty crazy. there are endless possibilities really, i would recommend you stay at least 2 weeks to see everything you can.

can't wait to get back to hawai'i in november

89coupe
07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Expedia is having another 24hr sale today for Oahu.

http://www.expedia.ca/daily/enc4105/promos/hotel/24_hour_sale/default.asp

sml
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
10 days is a ton of time in just Oahu (unless you're a beach bum), I would do 7 days Oahu and 3 days on a different island (big island, maui, or Kawai). In Oahu, I would defintely recommend pearl harbour, north shore (matsumoto shaved ice!), shrimp truck (the Korean one's my favorite!), Polynesian cultural center (with the Luau package!), macadamian nut factory, chilling at Waikiki, and eat LOTS of Japanese food! Generally you don't need a car and could get away with public transportation except to the cultural center and north shore.

benyl
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Don't forget the Dole plantation. Best Pineapple you will ever eat. It is like a party going on in your mouth.

89coupe
07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Don't forget the Dole plantation. Best Pineapple you will ever eat. It is like a party going on in your mouth.

Don't forget the Macadamia's.

dj_honda
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I just got back 3 weeks ago. I went for 7 days and got an amazing deal through a friend at westjet....99$ return flight :D + taxes of course.

Some things to do on Oahu as mentioned are:

Hanauma Bay - but go in the morning and leave in the early afternoon. In the morning its nice and calm and you can see some decent stuff but the afternoon is a gong show.

Luau - We got rained out halfway through and got our money back. Definitely seemed cool up until that point. We did the biggest outdoor one...I forget its name. But I kind of wish we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center instead. EDIT: Its the same one that 89_coupe did. Definitely was sweet until the rain.

Diamond Head Crater - The hike is short but steep...but if you get out early enough to catch the sunrise its pimp.

For shopping there is Ala Moana and an outdoor Outlet mall like 20 mins drive from Waikiki as well.

Drive around the island/up to the North shore. Dole plantation is on the way. Spent a day doing this and stopped at all these random beaches that seriously looked like they were off a postcard. We also stopped at a random small beach just outside of the main North shore town (forget its name) and saw around 20 sea turtles eating seaweed while getting washed up on shore.....it was amazing. I would actually spend more time doing this next time around.

If you can definitely island hop. We flew out to the big island the first day we got there and spent the day there. On the big island you can check out the Volcanoes National Park. While we were there a vent had just opened up so they actually closed up part of the park due to sulfur gas but it was cool seeing all the smoke and feeling the heat from the volcano and also the random plumes of steam rising from the ground as you drive up.

You can also drive to the part where the lava meets the ocean. It basically flows from that same volcano through some undeground tunnels and meets the ocean. If you go i suggest going at night so you can see the orange because during the day its just a huge(!) plume of steam and sulfur gas. They used to let you get near it but lots of people have died from random explosions that happen with the lava hitting the water, so you have to stay pretty far away. I was kind of let down by that haha.

Also we checked out the black sand beaches on the island. Pretty amazing stuff....and ridiculously hot haha. There is also green sand beaches but they were a bit out of the way. Next time for sure.

I'll think of more stuff later.