PDA

View Full Version : What is a Luxury Car?

Neil4Speed
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
We should branch out from the SL65 thread - That car is far to gorgeous to have anything other than comments about how amazing it looks.

The way I think of it, luxury is somewhat of a subjective term, I mean, toothpaste is a luxury to some people. Definition wise its also somewhat vague when applied to a car (which has the purpose of transportation)

"The term suggests a vehicle with greater equipment, performance, construction precision, comfort, design ingenuity, technological innovation, brand image, caché, prestige — or other discretionary feature or combination of features — beyond strict necessity."

I think the brand image (sadly in a way) is a key part of a car being a "luxury car". Realisitcally, you can get allot of the options of a Mercedes E in a loaded TL for substancially less money. But Mercedes has the brand, the pedigree, and the name. Part of the reason rests on that it has always built cars that were unattainable to allot of people in the form of the S-Class, and I am sure many other models in prior. Somewhat of a trickle down effect, that has occored over a very long period of time. (Time is key, thats why people don't think of an Acura CSX under the same light as the RL vs how someone feels with an S and a C class mercedes). When you buy a Mercedes you get with it the history I suppose of a hundred years of racing, and advancement that it has brought to the industry.

For me, personally I think that construction precision is what really sets apart a luxury car from a near luxury car. The refinement you get out of a benz (well, I should probably use a pre-merger benz as a stronger example) is astonishing. Everything from the sound the door makes to the way the buttons feel under your fingers feels solid. You cannot compare that with a Acura Lexus or an Infiniti.

Anyways - discuss I guess!

mark4091
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
The way it makes you feel when you drive it.

Neil4Speed
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mark4091
The way it makes you feel when you drive it.

What? Its more than that.

I mean - I feel good when I drive a Mini Cooper S - Its a fun car! But far worlds away from a luxury car.

4lti7ude
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
The easier the car is to drive, and just be in.

Like 4 doors so its easier to get people in and out rather then leaning the seat forward.
Heated seats for comfort, and just anything to make the ride just more relaxing and less work.

Destinova403
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
^^ so i should get a mini-van?

nich148_9
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
It's a hard question. See, most people would define just about any Mercedes or BMW as a luxury car. But I don't think their high performance stuff is, because I think it just doesn't project that same sense of relaxation or comfort.

My definition would have to encompass the following:
- comfort
- empowering
- ease
- relaxation
- automation (in this modern era)

finboy
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
a penis on wheels y0

4lti7ude
07-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
^^ so i should get a mini-van?

Vans arnt that comfortable of a ride in my opinion.
But if your into that as a luxury CAR then go ahead.

ZorroAMG
07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Luxury is also tied in with extravagance and excess to a certain degree as well. NOTHING about japanese cars say that IMO....

All the creature comforts, high cost (pay to play), exclusivity, quality materials = luxury.

rage2
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
It's a car you can barely afford. That and anything more expensive would be considered luxury.

max_boost
07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Luxury is also tied in with extravagance and excess to a certain degree as well. NOTHING about japanese cars say that IMO....

All the creature comforts, high cost (pay to play), exclusivity, quality materials = luxury.

:werd:

Well I do consider the Lexus LS460 a luxury car :D

The whole concept of what a luxury car is or was is all blurred with all the 'entry level luxury crap' from manufacturers wanting to tap into the lower end of the market. Brainwashing everyone so they think a CSX or TSX is a luxury car hahaha

A luxury car represents class, sophistication, technologically advanced, comfort, it's everything.

finboy
07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
and it should lose 50% of its value in 2 years :bigpimp:

hadookin
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
it's all perspective.

Originally posted by finboy
and it should lose 50% of its value in 2 years :bigpimp: :rofl:

max_boost
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's a car you can barely afford. That and anything more expensive would be considered luxury.

Yeah man. It's got to be expensive and loaded with all the options. So we talking something that most people can't afford. Min $100K. LOL :bigpimp:

mark4091
07-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

What? Its more than that.

I mean - I feel good when I drive a Mini Cooper S - Its a fun car! But far worlds away from a luxury car.
Naw, it's a differen't feeling other then performance, it's about how you feel about yourself while driving it. To me, the name Mercedes-Benz just says... well it doesin't say anything, more of a feeling of class and capability, and every brand differs a bit to me, but thats how I see it.

I guess my original statement was off, It's a lot of how you feel driving the reputation the brand has built.

nbaker00
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
The price tag

The_Rural_Juror
07-14-2008, 10:52 PM
It's the car that you take to a ($100/2) lunch.

Eleanor
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by finboy
and it should lose 50% of its value in 2 years :bigpimp:

Jaguar FTMFW! :rofl:

Senseiz
07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Car_classifications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification
Just conform to Wikipedia standards.

TYMSMNY
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
"What is a luxury car to some.. may be ‘ordinary’ to others"

heavyD
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
"What is a luxury car to some.. may be ‘ordinary’ to others"

Like a BMW 3 Series or G3x. The lines have been blurred but in my mind when I think of a real luxury car I think BMW or Mercedes. IMO Audis, Lexus, etc are at a slightly lower level but then again to some a CSX is a luxury vehicle. :dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
IMO BMW or Mercedes are a slightly lower level to Bentleys and Maybachs.;)

Moe Man
07-15-2008, 10:09 AM
IMO no such cars as luxury cars now-a-days, back in the 70s is where the true luxury cars where made.

http://carsfromyesterday.com/ebay/76CadillacDEleganceblack070608/26.JPG

this add explanes everything.

arian_ma
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Neil, though I agree with the fact that luxury is relative, it seems that in car terms there is a fairly predominant line of where luxury starts. Let me explain it this way, even though the car itself may be a luxury to some people, the class of luxury car is well defined. It's pretty much a play of words here. IMO, luxury is something that your car has, that you don't need. Once there are a certain number of luxury accessories in a car, then it is classified as a luxury vehicle.

That's my definition of it anyways.

rage2
07-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Like a BMW 3 Series or G3x.
I don't consider 3 series or G3x to be a luxury car. I think I'm the only asian to think that way haha. 3 series is an entry level shitbox IMO.

TYMSMNY
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
^ thats exactly what a 3 series is. An entry level to get the "ballers" in the door. A G3X or 3 series is NOT a luxury vehicle. It's a nice vehicle for sure, but not luxurious.

blownz
07-15-2008, 10:20 AM

I don't consider 3 series or G3x to be a luxury car. I think I'm the only asian to think that way haha. 3 series is an entry level shitbox IMO.

While I wouldn't classify either of them as a luxury car either, you have a lot of stupid comments. "3 series is an entry level shitbox"... :rolleyes:

arian_ma
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by blownz

While I wouldn't classify either of them as a luxury car either, you have a lot of stupid comments. "3 series is an entry level shitbox"... :rolleyes:
Really? For example, when you see someone driving a 320, you think to yourself "wow that car must be ballin'"? I certainly think look at that retard who paid an extra 10 grand for the badge.

Hakkola
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Remember, Rage drives a 3-series as well.

I don't think HeavyD meant that the 3 series or g3x are luxury cars, just that other people may think they are. I have to add the C-Class to that list as well, especially the older models.

I would love an M3, or C63, or 335 or C350, but IMO, they're not really luxury cars.

heavyD
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
IMO BMW or Mercedes are a slightly lower level to Bentleys and Maybachs.;)

Those are more prestige brands IMO.

me&you
07-15-2008, 10:32 AM

:werd:

As Max_Boost said, the lines have been blurred by both the true luxury companies trying to expand their sales by going "down market" and the entry-level companies by trying to give a taste of luxury by going up market and even creating new brands (the Japanese companies - Acura/Infiniti/Lexus). Even Ferrari has done this with their (excessive) merchandising.

Truth is, none of these cars are true luxury and are a compromise of the idea. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but with a G35, you're merely buying into the illusion of luxury and not the real deal. Leathers seats with power everything don't make a luxury car.

My idea of a true luxury car is one built with exclusive components (engine, chassis, etc) and technologies that will one day trickle down to the lesser models.

One of my more simplistic criteria - extended leather trim... dash, door panels etc... a generalization, but a fairly safe one...

ZorroAMG
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM

LOL He DRIVES the highest trim level of the entry level shitbox, he's entitled to that opinion. Don't get all defensive.

rage2
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
You're asian right? :rofl:

I own a M3, and it's an entry level shitbox. Other than power seats, my GTI offers the same level of features and comfort.

Correction, my GTI offers more than the M3, again, other than the power seats that the GTI doesn't have.

benyl
07-15-2008, 10:43 AM

In Europe, the C class and the 3 series are used for taxi cabs. That makes it an entry level car in my mind.

The_Rural_Juror
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM

You're asian right? :rofl:

I own a M3, and it's an entry level shitbox. Other than power seats, my GTI offers the same level of features and comfort.

Correction, my GTI offers more than the M3, again, other than the power seats that the GTI doesn't have.

To be fair, you should consider the GTI from the same year as your M3. :D

rage2
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by benyl
In Europe, the C class and the 3 series are used for taxi cabs. That makes it an entry level car in my mind.
They sometimes use E classes too for the higher end cabs. That's like a 300C as a comparison. Funny that the 300C is built on the E class platform :rofl:.

mekeni
07-15-2008, 10:51 AM
my definition of luxury car.

If you are paying for a car you can barely afford...

price doesn't matter, it's how much you can spend.

rage2
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
To be fair, you should consider the GTI from the same year as your M3. :D
Sure, I've been in the new 3 series, played around with the features, and there's not much more than a GTI still. And it's double the price. For a frickin' badge. Comparing to M3, you get iDrive, which I'm still not convinced that it's a good system. The M3 finally got dual clutch, but christ, it's triple the price at that point :rofl:.

Neil4Speed
07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
my definition of luxury car.

If you are paying for a car you can barely afford...

price doesn't matter, it's how much you can spend.

By this logic, anyone with a net worth of say over 10-20 Million can never own a luxury car.

mekeni
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM

By this logic, anyone with a net worth of say over 10-20 Million can never own a luxury car.

With that kind of money it's time to move on to more luxurious things like a yacht or a personal plane perhaps...lets see if your 20 million would go far at all.

heavyD
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Sure, I've been in the new 3 series, played around with the features, and there's not much more than a GTI still. And it's double the price. For a frickin' badge. Comparing to M3, you get iDrive, which I'm still not convinced that it's a good system. The M3 finally got dual clutch, but christ, it's triple the price at that point :rofl:.

GTI? Hey the EVO X MR has a twin clutch transmission, european brakes, wheels, and shocks plus alcantra leather recaros, leather armrests, navigation, and all aluminum hood, roof, and suspension members. Is it a luxury car?:nut:

E36M3
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I've been in S Class taxis several times, but that doesn't make the S Class entry level. Taxis in european countries are expensive (especially in countries like Norway) and really only used by wealthy people.. that is one of the major differences.

I think someone else also pointed out that the E Class Mercedes is far more common than the C Class or 3 Series in Europe for taxis.. so I don't understand the point. Over a million km, the E Class is probably less expensive to operate than a Crown Victoria (particularly in Europe where the diesel Benzes would have a much lower total cost of ownership).

blownz
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
For those jumping on my comment about the 3 series being an "entry level shitbox"... it is not that I am being defensive or insulted by it, I just find it to be a stupid comment regardless what the poster drives. I don't think it is a luxury car, and I don't think it is a high end car by any means, but it is still far from an entry level shit box. And if you are only comparing the 3 series by the "features and comfort" it has then you could probably find a cheap domestic car with more features for even cheaper than your GTI. Bang for the buck isn't always the only thing though, a lot more goes into the car than just some luxury features.

A Cobalt with leather, power sunroof, windows, locks, etc doesn't make it the equal of any car priced double, triple, whatever. But maybe you should buy a Cobalt because because it has all the features and has a low price... :dunno:

ZorroAMG
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
The 3 series and c class ARE entry level for their make. End of story....luxury they are NOT....

E36M3
07-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I thought the 1 Series was the entry level for BMW and that the A Class was the entry level for Mercedes..

I'd consider a fully equipped 3 series or C Class to be a luxury car, but I suppose it depends on your definition. In Europe (where both companies are based), the 3 & C are actually quite large cars, and probably would fit the definition of a luxury car if they are well equipped, regardless of the motor size.

In North America, I think that we might have a bias towards large cars being considered luxury cars because of the positioning of Cadillac and Lincoln.

To further Rage2s argument about the GTI vs the M3, I'd throw out that a well equipped 335i is not all that much different than a Bentley. Compared with a Continental GT, for example, the 335 has 99% of the "luxury" features available (I can't really think of anything that would distinguish them in any significant way, aside from interior space). It doesn't have the twin turbo V12 motor, but again, I'm not sure that explosive power is a pre-requisite for luxury.

Surprisingly, the ride isn't that much better in the Bentley vs. the 335.. and even the Bentley's are based on a VW platform, so the exclusivity argument only goes so far.

The 3 series and c class ARE entry level for their make. End of story....luxury they are NOT....

me&you
07-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by E36M3

To further Rage2s argument about the GTI vs the M3, I'd throw out that a well equipped 335i is not all that much different than a Bentley. Compared with a Continental GT, for example, the 335 has 99% of the "luxury" features available (I can't really think of anything that would distinguish them in any significant way, aside from interior space). It doesn't have the twin turbo V12 motor, but again, I'm not sure that explosive power is a pre-requisite for luxury.

Surprisingly, the ride isn't that much better in the Bentley vs. the 335.. and even the Bentley's are based on a VW platform, so the exclusivity argument only goes so far.

But luxury isn't just about features... it's about finish, quality of materials and exclusivity. The 335 and CGT may have features in common, but the way the Bentley delivers the features is what makes it luxurious - the metal vent controls, the leather and wood on every surface you touch, etc.

I'd also argue that power is a luxury... I wouldn't use the word explosive, but always having "adequate" power is a luxury... whether it's adequate to pull out of your driveway, or adequate to blast past a line of traffic on the highway...

And I'm not sure what was wrong with the Bentley you've driven, but there is no similarity in the ride between a CGT and 335... which is better is a matter of preference, but there is NO similarity.

ZorroAMG
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I thought the 1 Series was the entry level for BMW and that the A Class was the entry level for Mercedes..

1er and A class have only been around for the last decade (1er is brand new) and their introduction doesn't make the c and 3 less entry level other than price...the cars haven't changed, they just increased the lineup. The 190E/C-class was always touted as the baby-benz entry level car, same goes for the 3er.

Eleanor
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
:rofl:

nich148_9
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mekeni

With that kind of money it's time to move on to more luxurious things like a yacht or a personal plane perhaps...lets see if your 20 million would go far at all.

You can get a decent Gulfstream for about 20M.

blownz
07-15-2008, 01:35 PM

I agree with that 100% and never said otherwise (although you seem to think so).

Calling a 40+ grand car an entry level shitbox no matter who makes it is either arrogant or stupid imo. I guess it is arrogance. :dunno:

rage2
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Calling a 40+ grand car an entry level shitbox no matter who makes it is either arrogant or stupid imo. I guess it is arrogance. :dunno:
And there's your problem, you're correlating price to quality.

3 series build quality is so blah. Lots of little interior stuff go wrong, break, cheap, flimsy, designed to look good yet costs nothing to produce. Mercedes is guilty of it too, and I'm a MB fanboy. Call me arrogant, but if I'm dropping 40k+ on a car, I expect it to be better than a 30k Accord, where it has equal luxury appointments and features. I don't feel like I'm in a quality car until at least the 5 series or E class. So it costs $40k, you can still buy a shitbox for $40k... you're just an idiot for doing it. Take off your euro badge blinders.

The_Rural_Juror
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Out of curiousity, would you lump the A3 and A4 into that shitbox category?

rage2
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I dunno, I'm assuming the A3 is the same as the GTI. You can tell that the GTI has a lot of cheap plastic that's "aesthetically pleasing" much like the 3 series and C classes. Cheap to produce, tries to look good, tricks the casual observer but real car guys know the truth. I can say it's definately an entry level car, but shitbox... only time will tell. Let's see what I break!

TYMSMNY
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Out of curiousity, would you lump the A3 and A4 into that shitbox category?

yes. :drama:

nj2Type-S
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX: $16,990 --> entry level shitbox
2008 BMW 323i Sedan: $35,900 --> entry level luxury

"Luxury - a material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity."

i dont' see why an entry level 3 series or a C class wouldn't be considered a luxury car...:dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
I dunno, I'm assuming the A3 is the same as the GTI. You can tell that the GTI has a lot of cheap plastic that's "aesthetically pleasing" much like the 3 series and C classes. Cheap to produce, tries to look good, tricks the casual observer but real car guys know the truth. I can say it's definately an entry level car, but shitbox... only time will tell. Let's see what I break!

You actually make me want to run out and buy a GTI. :burnout:

heavyD
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM

You actually make me want to run out and buy a GTI. :burnout:

There you go again Rage. I hope VW is giving you comission on sales.;)

blownz
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM

And there's your problem, you're correlating price to quality.

3 series build quality is so blah. Lots of little interior stuff go wrong, break, cheap, flimsy, designed to look good yet costs nothing to produce. Mercedes is guilty of it too, and I'm a MB fanboy. Call me arrogant, but if I'm dropping 40k+ on a car, I expect it to be better than a 30k Accord, where it has equal luxury appointments and features. I don't feel like I'm in a quality car until at least the 5 series or E class. So it costs $40k, you can still buy a shitbox for $40k... you're just an idiot for doing it. Take off your euro badge blinders.

Again it has nothing to do with euro badge blinders or what I might drive. And I am not saying there is a direct correlation between price and quality. However you do typically get what you pay for. The extra money typically shows up somewhere. Whether it is somewhere that it makes a difference to person a vs person b depends. Obviously we have different views there.

Oddly enough when I was car shopping and bought the 3 series I have now I was also looking at the new Accord (among other cars) as it had just come out and I really needed a bigger car since my wife was pregnant with our second child. Unfortunately the Accord which cost almost as much as the 3 series wasn't near the car imo. It did have the room which I needed and it did have a few more options (like nav) that my car doesn't have but it was mainly the feel of driving it that made me go with the 3 series again even though it is a bit short on space with the two car seats in the back. Just so much more fun to drive. And while the 3 series interior isn't close to a higher end MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc it still has way less hard plastic than in that Accord.

Anyway, I am happy with my car even though it and apparently just about every vehicle on this site below a 5 series or E class isn't a quality car. :D

Daan
07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
in Romania, which is considered a 3rd world country, the 3 series cars are used for taxis

so in view of that, I have to agree 3 series is "an entry level shitbox"

bla bla ... you have a lot of stupid comments. "3 series is an entry level shitbox"... :rolleyes:

blownz
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Really? For example, when you see someone driving a 320, you think to yourself "wow that car must be ballin" I certainly think look at that retard who paid an extra 10 grand for the badge.

lol now this is really a stupid comment :rofl:

And I am not Asian. lol

heavyD
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Anyway, I am happy with my car

And isn't that what counts. Being happy with your shitbox.;)

The_Rural_Juror
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM

There you go again Rage. I hope VW is giving you comission on sales.;)

It's like the Civic Nation...well just GTI Nation.

I'm not trying to lick his balls, but to hear a tuner like Rage2 say that the GTI beats the M3 in most aspects is excellent testimony.

blownz
07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Daan
in Romania, which is considered a 3rd world country, the 3 series cars are used for taxis

so in view of that, I have to agree 3 series is "an entry level shitbox"

So what do you consider actual entry level cars like Civic's, Cobalt's, Corolla's, etc? What do you call something several levels below an entry level shitbox?

blownz
07-15-2008, 02:57 PM

lol I just want to know what I was driving before?!?

5hift
07-15-2008, 02:59 PM
lol only on beyond a $60,000 BMW is a entry level shit box.

Daan
07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
priced right POS ? vs overpriced entry level bla bla bla

So what do you consider actual entry level cars like Civic's, Cobalt's, Corolla's, etc? What do you call something several levels below an entry level shitbox?

rage2
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Economy class.

arian_ma
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM

lol now this is really a stupid comment :rofl:
Good rebuttal though.

rage2
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm happy with my shitbox too, mainly because I didn't spend $85k on it brand new. But I guess I did end up spending $85k on it regardless. Boy do I feel stupid now :rofl:.

89coupe
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the word "luxury" varies depending on how fat your wallet is, but overall I think it applies to a vehicle that offers all the bells and whistles, powerful engine and a quiet, comfortable ride.

Hakkola
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
blownz, I like your car, I just don't consider it a luxury car, same with C-classes. :dunno:

RATM
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
lawl @ bmw and mb fanboys who come out to play

blownz
07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Good rebuttal though.

Sorry but the comment was too stupid to warrant one.

Originally posted by Hakkola
blownz, I like your car, I just don't consider it a luxury car, same with C-classes. :dunno:

People need to learn to read. In my very first post I said I DON'T consider it a luxury car. DON'T

I never said I did.

I just don't agree with calling it or say a C class or A4 or pretty much anything in that category a "entry level shitbox". I simply didn't agree with that comment and still don't.

Anyway, I am just glad I have been lucky enough to move up from an economy car to a shitbox car. lol

A790
07-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Sorry but the comment was too stupid to warrant one.

People need to learn to read. In my very first post I said I DON'T consider it a luxury car. DON'T

I never said I did.

I just don't agree with calling it or say a C class or A4 or pretty much anything in that category a "entry level shitbox". I simply didn't agree with that comment and still don't.

Anyway, I am just glad I have been lucky enough to move up from an economy car to a shitbox car. lol
The fact is that the 3 series is an entry level car. Sure, it's comfortable, but compared to higher offerings by BMW, MB, Bentley, etc. it's nowhere near luxury. It's a status symbol for surburban yuppies.

Now, that being said, sure, the 3 series is a great setup. Decent engine, interior, and amenities. I sure wouldn't turn one down, but I also don't consider it a luxury car. It's a quiet, comfortable car.

Luxury? Bentley. Maybach. My comfortable-as-hell sofa with the air-conditioned cubby that I can put my drinks in. THAT'S luxury.

RATM
07-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by A790
Luxury? Bentley. Maybach. My comfortable-as-hell sofa with the air-conditioned cubby that I can put my drinks in. THAT'S luxury.

I totally agree with you

blinkme_210
07-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Again it has nothing to do with euro badge blinders or what I might drive. And I am not saying there is a direct correlation between price and quality. However you do typically get what you pay for. The extra money typically shows up somewhere. Whether it is somewhere that it makes a difference to person a vs person b depends.

I would argue that. The best example in my mind is the 323i. I got that car as a loaner when mine was in for service, and it was just a horrible car! For $36k MSRP, that car had NOTHING IN IT! Seats were manual adjustments, regular halo lights, fake pleather, shitty 4 speaker non-mp3 radio, the old 170hp 3.0L engine, & more cramp than a can of tuna. People who buy this car thinking they are the shit are tools who don't know any better.

For $1000 less, I would get a CSX Type S, which at least tries to live up to the luxury image with included navigation, leather, moon roof, climate control, etc. That is more luxurious than any entry level shitbox BMW makes.

"The extra money typically shows up somewhere", I think not.

gpomp
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
:nut:

rage2
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
It shows up in the shareholder's pockets :thumbsup:.

Moe Man
07-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I think the word "luxury" varies depending on how fat your wallet is, but overall I think it applies to a vehicle that offers all the bells and whistles, powerful engine and a quiet, comfortable ride.

i dont believe luxury has anything to do with price.

i paid 2500 bux for my caddy and it has bells and whistles, a powerfull engine and a quiet comfortable ride.

oh ya and a cigar lighter for every passenger :bigpimp:

find me a more luxurious car for 2500 bux :thumbsup:

blownz
07-16-2008, 09:03 AM

That 323 may not have the same options or engines as a higher end 3 series, but even for 20 grand less the guy that bought it still has the engineering that went into the design of the car, the suspension, transmission, etc. I personally think the 323 is too stripped for a 3 series especially since for about 4 grand more you get a lot more in the 328.

But often on German cars you pay a ton to just get a different engine. 10-30k extra just for a motor is not uncommon. I am sure it is with those higher models that the companies are making most of their profit. Not the other way around like most people seem to think.

Anyway, I personally don't think a civic with leather and nav is the same as even a stripped 3 series or A4 or C class. More options for the money doesn't always equal the better car. You pay for more than just options. You could buy a loaded Dodge Avenger with most of the same options as a Lexus IS350 for way less money. Does that mean the extra money on the Lexus is wasted?? I think not.

The_Rural_Juror
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

i paid 2500 bux for my caddy and it has bells and whistles,

All I have to say to you is: "BONG BONG BONG".

benyl
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM

For $1000 less, I would get a CSX Type S, which at least tries to live up to the luxury image with included navigation, leather, moon roof, climate control, etc. That is more luxurious than any entry level shitbox BMW makes.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

You are calling a civic with leather luxurious?

The Civic is the epitome of an entry level economy shitbox.

I bought a 335 for the engine, not for the "luxury." Same reason I had had an STi. It was for the drivetrain not what it looked like. The STi was the biggest shitbox interior of any car I have had.

Civic w/ leather != Luxury.

E36M3
07-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I've owned a Bentley Flying Spur and a 3 series (M3) and driven a 335 extensively, and I can tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. I've also driven most other Bentley models, with extensive seat time in the CGT, Azure, etc. Trust me, you can't believe everything you read in magazines.. the ride is not significantly better in a Bentley than it is in a 3 series, and they actually are quite similar. The Bentley is much heavier, and it feels that way, but the chassis engineering is not remarkably different.

If you want to get even closer, the Cayennes with air suspension are virtually indistinguishable from the ride of a Bentley starting at a small fraction of the price (the S trim with the Air Suspension option), as is the ride in cars like the SL and S class which also offer air suspension. Drive a 335 and a CGT back to back (instead of just bench racing) and you will understand.. both are firm but compliant and both are quite excellent (although the rear suspension on the Continental GTcould use some work (the Flying Spur is much better sorted).

How does the Bentley "deliver" the features any better? The fit and finish in the 335 is excellent.. as it is in the Bentley. The 335 when properly equipped has a ton of wood and leather as well, I just don't see all that much of a difference. Yeah, you can tell the Bentley is more expensive on the interior, but it doesn't feel like a different universe or anything.. and it still uses VW electronics and has its fair share of cost cutting measures, in any model. It is pretty cheesy that a 250k Flying Spur has a CD based nav, for example when a 60k 335 has a state of the art DVD system (there are many more examples).

If you really want metal vents, I'm sure you could retrofit them, but again, for the three times a year I touch them, I don't really care that much.

On the power front, the 335 has 300 hp and 300-lb/ft of torque, which is more than sufficient for any use on the street. It never is out of power, and for 2k, with the Dinan upgrade (which does not have an effect on the warranty) you can get close to 400hp/400lb-ft torque which makes the power to weight ratio very close to a Bentley.

Again, I just think that people fall for marketing and image and don't really understand value.

Originally posted by me&you

But luxury isn't just about features... it's about finish, quality of materials and exclusivity. The 335 and CGT may have features in common, but the way the Bentley delivers the features is what makes it luxurious - the metal vent controls, the leather and wood on every surface you touch, etc.

I'd also argue that power is a luxury... I wouldn't use the word explosive, but always having "adequate" power is a luxury... whether it's adequate to pull out of your driveway, or adequate to blast past a line of traffic on the highway...

And I'm not sure what was wrong with the Bentley you've driven, but there is no similarity in the ride between a CGT and 335... which is better is a matter of preference, but there is NO similarity.

Neil4Speed
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Great Post E36M3 from an owner of both - definitely raised my eyebrows in surprise!

RATM
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Great Post E36M3 from an owner of both - definitely raised my eyebrows in surprise!

blinkme_210
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

You are calling a civic with leather luxurious?

The Civic is the epitome of an entry level economy shitbox.

I bought a 335 for the engine, not for the "luxury." Same reason I had had an STi. It was for the drivetrain not what it looked like. The STi was the biggest shitbox interior of any car I have had.

Civic w/ leather != Luxury.

A CSX is not luxurious, but when comparing dollar figures, it certainly feels more 'luxurious'. Not in the sense that it is comparable to a LS460, 7 Series, Bentley, etc.

Hell, I don't even consider my own 5 that luxurious. I kind of wish I went with another brand to get more for my money... IE Infiniti M45 fully loaded with all options is still cheaper than my mid range 5 :(