PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for on a JDM '91 Turbo?

toastgremlin
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
My friend is looking at this MR2 Turbo (http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/car/755477328.html). Once we get the VIN we should be able to get a better picture of the car's experiences, and I suspect he should ask for a copy of the OOP inspection paperwork (for the date of landing), but what's prone to failure on these machines?

I noticed that the #1 crankshaft bearing has been replaced, and previously the car didn't run -- is this indicative of damage to the engine or the crankshaft? "Chipped up" seems to tell me that the car was run hard without proper cooling or lubricant.

I'm happy to see that the body is in good condition. I'll make sure to do the knock test, though.

Is the turbo timer really necessary for stock boost? I don't think MR2s are popular with the rice crowd, but 130k km is a lot for a turbo four.

Other than these questions, it seems like a pretty solid contender. I'm just wary of it since the price has dropped quickly -- MR2s are a car I've always admired.

Thanks in advance, guys.

thinmyster
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
this was for sale on beyond like a month ago. Im pretty sure it sold so im not sure what the deal is now

clem24
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
VIN will probably just show it registered. No history for the 15-17 years before that will exist.

Redlyne_jr
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
ya you cant carfax jdm cars their is no histroy because the vins are different etc...

teg_boya
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
i would touch a 47 yr old tranny before i would touch this car

toastgremlin
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~
ya you cant carfax jdm cars their is no histroy because the vins are different etc... Oh, I thought VINs were international. Do they give you a new VIN when the vehicle lands, or can Carfax just not pull from whatever registry Japan has?

And thanks guys, this one is starting to look a lot worse. I think, even for a project car, he'd be better off looking at a different machine.

SI_futbol
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
i went and saw this thing, its in decent shape, the engine seems pretty fucked, may be easier to jus get a new one.

mr2mike
07-15-2008, 03:41 PM
He bagged the shit out of the car and is now looking to get his money out of it. He had to spend a couple $100 to drop the oil pan, etc and change the bearing but it just changed it. The crank needs resurfacing, etc.

So you're essentially paying for a shell... so give him what a shell is worth. Maybe $100 more because you might not actually have to get the car towed home.

If he managed to ruin a bearing, I'm sure that turbo is on its way out in the next 1,000kms.

I'd pay $500 for that car if I actually liked RHD's.

$2000 for a used engine replacement
$1000 for the labour