PDA

View Full Version : Recommend SUV's?

shakalaka
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Right so we were thinking of changing our SUV which currently is a 2005 X5. We love it and it is absolutely amazing, however we've had it for 3 years and would like to change now.

My question is to you guys what SUV's can you recommend that are along the similar price range? Good mileage would be a massive plus, but we all know that it's hard to get that on SUV's.

We haven't looked at many SUV's yet, since we are in middle of moving, but the couple that we have are Range Rovers, and Porsche Cayenne's. I personally love the Cayenne and the Range Rover's are nice as well in a different way. But it's not that the choice is only between these two. So any recommendations along the similar price range and size are more than welcome.

Thanks

dannie
07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
I love the power of the Cayenne Turbo S, but to service it is crazy expensive. If you buy one from the U.S, you don't get priority with the dealership if you need anything done.

For the Land Rover, I would recommend the Range Rover HSE. The thing I like about the BMW is the roominess. If you have a family or are going on a trip and need room, it was great. The Range Rover is the same.

The only other one that comes to mind in that price range for me is the Mercedes ML or the G unit. I don't like the look of the ML and I hate the interior of the G. It looks old-man-ish.

Mind you, BMW new version of the X5 has a cool interior to it as well.

You could also go for one of the Lexus SUV's.

If it were MY money, I would choose the Range Rover HSE because of the trunk space and stylings. Plus the Super Charger :) That's always a good thing!!

nj2Type-S
07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
i personally like the FX35s except the 2009 model is ugly as hell.

OH-EIGHT
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
new x5? :dunno:

The Cosworth
07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
x6?

KRyn
07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Jeep SRT8 with some kind of forced induction system?

dannie
07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes X5, the interior changed in 2007. Much sleeker than the previous years

RATM
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by OH-EIGHT
new x5? :dunno:

pretty decent SUV.. leased that is
its a maintainence bitch and isn't worth owning unless you don't mind instant depreciation and dealing with iGay

Originally posted by The Cosworth
x6?

absolute trash. Its disgraceful to BMW.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0805_2009_bmw_x6_vs_infiniti_fx35_comparison/index.html

"Reynolds was ultimately displeased by this driving machine: "The X6 wobbles, shudders, plows at the limit-and does so much damage to BMW's reputation for building fine driving automobiles, it's almost obscene."

"Kiino sums it up: "Unless I really wanted one of the X6's new engines or was completely smitten by the styling, I can't figure out why would I buy the X6 over the X5. It's basically the same car-just less practical and more expensive." How much more expensive? Our fully loaded X6 rang the register at $64,420; $17,000 more than the less optioned FX."

The Range Rover is made by Land Rover, which is the most unreliable automaker in the world, according to long term tests by J.D. Powers, Consumer Reports, etc. Initially it does okay, but they fall apart quickly. STAY AWAY.

I'd personally take a look at Lexus 570. Really reliable, not too bad on gas, absolutely gorgeous, and fully fully loaded (if this is in your budget).
"On a daily basis, it's exceptionally pleasant and so easy to drive that it could be a first choice as your daily driver. And if you happen to find yourself on some rock-strewn trail, well, the LX 570 will do you right there, too. Of course, this do-everything description could also be applied to the Land Rover Range Rover, a vehicle that surpasses the LX in terms of historical prestige. But the similarly powered Supercharged version is quite a bit more expensive and trails the Lexus in terms of its reputation for reliability. Another notable choice is the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, a very impressive luxury SUV in its own right. But it lacks the LX's off-road prowess. So if you want a vehicle that always puts you in the right set of clothes, the 2008 LX 570 is the obvious choice."
2008 Lexus 570
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/lexuslx570front2.jpg

The Cosworth
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
^^ i dont like the x6 but i dont like the porsche either so who knows what the OP's taste may be.

I would prefer a range any day of the week over any of those

alpha_gangsta
07-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Cayenne GTS.
After my lease is done for the Cayenne S, I'm hoping to pick up one of those bad boys.
I love Range Rovers but I felt the Cayenne felt like a better ride. This is my second Cayenne.

Another option might be a Mercedes GL320 CDI if you're into diesels.

bobby_lu
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
RR/RR Sport.

end.

LX570 ftl :barf:

revelations
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Canyonero....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/flipdayarcade/canyonero.jpg

shakalaka
07-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have also been thinking about just getting the new X5 as well, but obviously that wouldn't be much of a change from the current one. I personally don't like the back of it, but maybe that's something you can get over after a while.

I don't know much about the X6's but maybe I will have a look at them see if I like 'em. From just the pictures of it, I have to say it looks ugly as hell! From the back for some reason it reminds of a freaking station wagon. To think of it I think I saw one and I was wondering what it was, and couldn't figure out whether it was a car or a SUV.

Range Rover HSE Sport is the one I had a look at I think and I loved it. That is definitely one of the options that have been short listed. I think I liked the sports model though well because it looks better. What are the main differences between the two? Any big one's performance wise?

As far as the Cayenne's are concerned I just love how quick they are. Being SUV's you don't expect them to be and at the same time I like the looks of it as well, even though compared to the X5 or Range Rovers they look a bit 'feminine'. But regardless of that they look quite nice.

I have never been into Lexus SUV's for some reason. The smalls one's are too small RX330's and such and the big one's just look like boxes. Same with the ML's and square pieces of army boxes.

I saw the new Audi SUV as well. I wasn't too close to it so couldn't see it properly but from what I could tell it wasn't too bad.

RATM
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have also been thinking about just getting the new X5 as well, but obviously that wouldn't be much of a change from the current one. I personally don't like the back of it, but maybe that's something you can get over after a while.

I don't know much about the X6's but maybe I will have a look at them see if I like 'em. From just the pictures of it, I have to say it looks ugly as hell! From the back for some reason it reminds of a freaking station wagon. To think of it I think I saw one and I was wondering what it was, and couldn't figure out whether it was a car or a SUV.

Range Rover HSE Sport is the one I had a look at I think and I loved it. That is definitely one of the options that have been short listed. I think I liked the sports model though well because it looks better. What are the main differences between the two? Any big one's performance wise?

As far as the Cayenne's are concerned I just love how quick they are. Being SUV's you don't expect them to be and at the same time I like the looks of it as well, even though compared to the X5 or Range Rovers they look a bit 'feminine'. But regardless of that they look quite nice.

I have never been into Lexus SUV's for some reason. The smalls one's are too small RX330's and such and the big one's just look like boxes. Same with the ML's and square pieces of army boxes.

I saw the new Audi SUV as well. I wasn't too close to it so couldn't see it properly but from what I could tell it wasn't too bad.

if only the Range Rover kept its value and was reliable, bercause it really is junk if you don't mind driving it to the dealership bi-weekly for repairs. The new Audi suv looks great, but again, electrical problems, is prone to repairs, etc.
I guess you gotta pay to play

teg_boya
07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
what about a new Toureg? I hear they have really similar internals as the Cayenne for a quite a bit less cost and it is wrapped in a nicer body style IMO

shakalaka
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
So the Range Rovers are hard to maintain then? I wasn't sure about their resale value either. I definitely don't want something which I would have to take to the shop all the time, I don't have the time or the patience for that.

Cayenne GTS looks quite nice and think I am gonna go have a test drive or something and see how I like it and everything. Toureg I suppose could be looked at as well, but I am personally not too big of a fan of VW's even though I have a Jetta. lol

bobby_lu
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Both come in n/a and supercharged variations.

The sport is smaller and a bit cheaper, its more in the X5 price/size range.

$75K/$95K for the Sport, $100/$120K for the non-sport, the more expensive ones being the supercharged variations.

Though even the non-supercharged versions have the 4.4 V8 with 300hp.

As for maintenance issues, considering you kept your current one for 3 years, it would still be under full warranty, so why worry?

TYMSMNY
07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
As much as I like the RRsport, the interior is a little too "British" for me. Even though it's under warranty, it still time and hassle to have the car brought in.

If you're leasing another vehicle, you might as well get another X5. It's a great car to drive with enough omf and wow factor for the family.

Kloubek
07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't buy a Range Rover. IMO, they are one of the nicest SUVs out there. But their resale is absolutely abysmal, and their reliability isn't any better.

If you like the Audi, I would suggest looking a bit closer at it. They are truly amazing vehicles and have the best AWD system in the world.

The Touregs and Cayannes (more or less the same vehicle - though they look different) are very nice as well - and actually have one of the best offroad ratings for these kinds of SUVs, if that's what you're into. If you stick with the Cayanne S rather than the turbo, you're probably going to have less maintenance issues. Overall though, they are VERY well built vehicles.

Of course, BMW makes good SUVs as well. But it seems like you want a change, and I can't blame you. The X series is a little long in the tooth at this point.

All these luxury SUVs are going to have questionable fuel mileage. They will also all depreciate pretty quickly. (Especially the Rover.)

avishal26
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I like the new ML's.. they're a good choice. Not too sure about their reliability or fit and finish (have heard a coupla bad things about mercedes in the past few years) I love the interior on the new ML's.. better than 90% of SUV's out there.

shakalaka
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I understand Rover's would be under warranty and all but like someone said it is still a hassle having to go to the dealership regularly, plus you wouldn't want that with a brand new vehicle anyway. Plus bad resale value is also something that can't be ignored, cause eventually after couple years you'd like as much a return as possible.

I went on few websites last night and did some research. Used the 'build your own' function on the BMW and Porsche website. After adding the options I want and everything, the Cayenne GTS came around $95K and so did the new X5 even though it's start value is around $13K less than the Cayenne. Guess BMW charges more for their options. I prefer the Cayenne GTS to Cayenne S, it's a bit quicker than the S but I really like how the GTS looks. It's aggressive looking, it's a SUV but at the same time has the sporty look.

Even though 'quickness' isn't too big of a deal, however out of all the options I have been looking at so far, the Cayenne GTS seems to be the quickest.

For some reason the ML's just don't catch my attention. The old one's were worse but even the new one's I don't find too attractive. However I do think they have really nice interior and everything though.

RATM
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
So the Range Rovers are hard to maintain then? I wasn't sure about their resale value either. I definitely don't want something which I would have to take to the shop all the time, I don't have the time or the patience for that.

Cayenne GTS looks quite nice and think I am gonna go have a test drive or something and see how I like it and everything. Toureg I suppose could be looked at as well, but I am personally not too big of a fan of VW's even though I have a Jetta. lol

yeah the Range Rover's depreciate TERRIBLY and they're the most unreliable vehicles made right now
http://www.forbesautos.com/news/headlines/2006/july/fdc073106-leastreliable.html
sure this is the 06/07 models they're talking about in that article, but it hasn't miraculously changed in 08. STAY AWAY!

how about the 09 Infiniti FX50? This vehicle hauls really badly, is very reliable, is pretty decent on gas, has 400hp, and the resale will be quite good.
http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/2009-Infiniti-FX50.jpg

shakalaka
07-16-2008, 11:25 AM
The FX does look really nice but I think it's a bit too curvy and has a 'sexy' sort of image. I mean X5 looks like a proper SUV sort of 'manly' even more than the Cayenne but I think the FX is even a step ahead from the Cayenne.

Maybe it's just me or something, but at the end of the day an SUV should still have some sort of macho look to it I think. Even though it isn't the same performance wise but it reminds me of the Lexus RX range according to the looks.

RATM
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
The FX does look really nice but I think it's a bit too curvy and has a 'sexy' sort of image. I mean X5 looks like a proper SUV sort of 'manly' even more than the Cayenne but I think the FX is even a step ahead from the Cayenne.

Maybe it's just me or something, but at the end of the day an SUV should still have some sort of macho look to it I think. Even though it isn't the same performance wise but it reminds me of the Lexus RX range according to the looks.

09 Toyota Limited Sequoia? looks manly, runs 14.4 in the 1/4 mile, but does it look too dull or something?

shakalaka
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Toyota doesn't really have that 'exclusivity' a BMW or Porsche would, you know what I mean?

bobby_lu
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
lol theres gotta be more X5's on the road than Sequoias.....

but nonetheless, doesnt make it any prettier :barf:

E36M3
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
For an SUV, I really like the Mercedes G500/55 and the Porsche Cayenne (I've owned both).. although they are quite different vehicles, in my opinion they are the best among the sport utilities.

I've had no problems with my Cayenne at all, and really enjoy driving it. It is the Turbo S version, and I'm not sure what other people are talking about in terms of maintenance issues.. it has been bulletproof so far and it is not too bad to get it serviced, and has very long service intervals just like any Porsche. You won't be able to touch it for power and handling/braking with any other sport utility.

The G is a beautifully built, classy truck that feels like a Bentley.. it is very special to drive and I really loved it. It is way overbuilt in every sense, and is very reliable.

RATM
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Toyota doesn't really have that 'exclusivity' a BMW or Porsche would, you know what I mean?

pretty much. However, their cars don't depreciate as fast, are more reliable, and are pretty great.
I guess you have to pay to play though haha

RATM
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
For an SUV, I really like the Mercedes G500/55 and the Porsche Cayenne (I've owned both).. although they are quite different vehicles, in my opinion they are the best among the sport utilities.

I've had no problems with my Cayenne at all, and really enjoy driving it. It is the Turbo S version, and I'm not sure what other people are talking about in terms of maintenance issues.. it has been bulletproof so far and it is not too bad to get it serviced, and has very long service intervals just like any Porsche. You won't be able to touch it for power and handling/braking with any other sport utility.

The G is a beautifully built, classy truck that feels like a Bentley.. it is very special to drive and I really loved it. It is way overbuilt in every sense, and is very reliable.

haha you are the first person i've ever heard of whose owned a Turbo S and hasn't had problems with it. They're unreal unreliable

E36M3
07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I've never heard that.. maybe your friend had a bad egg. Porsches are incredibly reliable in my experience.

Originally posted by RATM

haha you are the first person i've ever heard of whose owned a Turbo S and hasn't had problems with it. They're unreal unreliable

canuckcarguy
07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Does resale matter? ie, lease or purchase? If resale doesn't matter, I'd be opting for the Range Rover.

stratusdodge
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd recommend a subaru, as i just found out they have the confetti-style piniata explosion style seats!

RATM
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I've never heard that.. maybe your friend had a bad egg. Porsches are incredibly reliable in my experience.

maybe brand new. All my friends who've owned Porsches have had many problems. However that won't stop me from owning a Porsche after I'm done schooool!

E36M3
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Hopefully SK00L includes some english classes.

Originally posted by RATM

maybe brand new. All my friends who've owned Porsches have had many problems. However that won't stop me from owning a Porsche after I'm done schooool!

teg_boya
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Hopefully SK00L includes some english classes.

:confused:

badatusrnames
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by dannie
I love the power of the Cayenne Turbo S, but to service it is crazy expensive. If you buy one from the U.S, you don't get priority with the dealership if you need anything done.

My boss brought one up from the states last summer and he said he got great treatment from both the dealership down there as well as Southcentre in Calgary. Southcentre's attitude was that although they lost a sale to what was a clearly better price elsewhere, they would at least be professional and not only retain his business for future service work, but also for the possibility of him buying from them in the future if/when the price gap narrows...

E36M3
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
That has been my experience as well. Southcenter Porsche is no worse than usual when you have a US car.. they suck either way, but don't refuse to take your money.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

My boss brought one up from the states last summer and he said he got great treatment from both the dealership down there as well as Southcentre in Calgary. Southcentre's attitude was that although they lost a sale to what was a clearly better price elsewhere, they would at least be professional and not only retain his business for future service work, but also for the possibility of him buying from them in the future if/when the price gap narrows...

jwslam
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
MDX FTW

beyondmike
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Were kind in the same boat as you but are looking for a used SUV. My wife has a Land Rover discovery that were getting rid of an she wants a RR HSE. I like the look of the Sport version better but she thinks it is too small(compared to her discovery) and likes the size of the RR. We are looking at an '04 RR HSE(which has the BMW engine in it since BMW owned LR at the time) and has very good reliability.

If money was no option, I would have the Cayanne Turbo, then the RR HSE and then the Audi next.

TrailBlazerSS
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Looks like you're pretty set on the Cayenne.

I guess to decide you'll have to narrow down what you're looking for - is it a 4x4, an AWD, something really fast, something for off-roading, something that can tow, is it a 'status' thing, does it need good MPG???...

Most competitors have been mentioned already, but maybe this will help:
http://www.car.com/content/research/vir/index.cfm/vehicle_number_int/1021637/Action/Compare

flipstah
07-16-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Volvo XC90.

My parentals have one and it's quite nice. Comfy seats, 7 seater with ROOM in the trunk, and it's quick (don't know if that matters to you or not but my dad hit 160 during our trip to BC. Pretty sure it can go faster but that's irrelevant.)

If you're looking for a people mover, you could give them a look see. And they're quite exclusive I think.

bobby_lu
07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I(don't know if that matters to you or not but my dad hit 160 during our trip to BC. Pretty sure it can go faster but that's irrelevant.)

lawl

OH-EIGHT
07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Volvo XC90.

My parentals have one and it's quite nice. Comfy seats, 7 seater with ROOM in the trunk, and it's quick (don't know if that matters to you or not but my dad hit 160 during our trip to BC. Pretty sure it can go faster but that's irrelevant.)

If you're looking for a people mover, you could give them a look see. And they're quite exclusive I think.

160mph?

Supa Dexta
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
def not.

RATM
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

lawl

OMG NOT 160!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flipstah
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by OH-EIGHT

160mph?

Kilometers of course. 160mph? :eek:

Kennyredline
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Right so we were thinking of changing our SUV which currently is a 2005 X5. We love it and it is absolutely amazing, however we've had it for 3 years and would like to change now.

My question is to you guys what SUV's can you recommend that are along the similar price range? Good mileage would be a massive plus, but we all know that it's hard to get that on SUV's.

We haven't looked at many SUV's yet, since we are in middle of moving, but the couple that we have are Range Rovers, and Porsche Cayenne's. I personally love the Cayenne and the Range Rover's are nice as well in a different way. But it's not that the choice is only between these two. So any recommendations along the similar price range and size are more than welcome.

Thanks
Haven't you heard? It's not cool to own an SUV anymore!

blownz
07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
^ Haven't you heard? Some people actually need them! :D

avishal26
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Agreed the FX doesn't look like a proper SUV.. the best way to describe it IMO is that it looks like a Cheetah when it should look like a Lion (If that made any sense lol) It is supposed to be sexy when it was designed.. to set itself apart from the competitors. The X5 looks like any other SUV.. its nice and stylish and I personally like the new body compared to the old ones, but it has pretty much the same body shape as any other SUV...sorta boxy.

Once you drive the FX (drive a 45 for now to get a feel.. not sure when the 50 is coming out).. you will realize how nice it feels on the road :D. It drives like it is planted and glued onto the road. It's not the greatest when you wanna off-road but then again most people with SUV's never go off-roading anyways. Its wide stance combined with lower height makes it a very nice 'SUV' to drive. The wide tires also help :D and I've seen a lot of new X5's with really wide tires, maybe they feel the same to drive as the FX? I've never driven a new X5. THe last one I drove was the 2005 and wasn't too impressed with the interior.

Btw.. I have a feeling the FX50 is going to be a grand hit... 390 hp while being not even close to as expensive as a cayenne.

RATM
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
good review ^^^
i love the FX45

gqmw
07-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Kilometers of course. 160mph? :eek:

160 KM!?!?! ZOMG THAT'S NUTS

I got to agree with avishal, although FX doesn't have as "bold" of a look or come on as strong, it's got the styling, road feel that makes you want to drive it. I'd definitely go with the 45.