PDA

View Full Version : 'In transport' Insurance question

Canmorite
07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Searched, but didn't find anything...

Buying a car, and wondering how 'in transport' works when dealing with insurance. I don't have the insurance setup yet, but tomorrow I will have the papers.

If I drive the car home today, and something happens, am I fucked? Gut feeling is yes...

Thanks.

rage2
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Why don't u get the VIN #, call insurance and get insurance? They'll fax you a temp slip, and you have insurance.

And yes if you drive it with no insurance and you crash, you're fucked.

benyl
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2

And yes if you drive it with no insurance and you crash, you're fucked.

You don't even have to crash.

If you get pulled over by a cop, I think it is a $2K or $2.5K fine for not having valid insurance.

Canmorite
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Just ran outta time to do it today. If I can't get it done I'm not going to pick it up.

"As for what you need to pick up the car (1) Your plate off your current car and (2) The insurance papers from your current car.

You will need a copy of your new insurance to register the car, but not to drive it home tonight."

:dunno:

rmk
07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You don't even have to crash.

If you get pulled over by a cop, I think it is a $2K or $2.5K fine for not having valid insurance.

And you will never drive again.

Call your insurance company and get a pink slip e-mailed to you before you get behind the wheel...

schocker
07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
I did this. I am still driving around with no plates. I have my temporary slip that was emailed to me by my insurance which i brought down with me to drive the car back. So no insurance while driving is a big no-no. Get them to send you a temp slip asap i suppose:dunno:

johnboy27
07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Just ran outta time to do it today. If I can't get it done I'm not going to pick it up.

"As for what you need to pick up the car (1) Your plate off your current car and (2) The insurance papers from your current car.

You will need a copy of your new insurance to register the car, but not to drive it home tonight."

:dunno:
That is all you need and you should be good.

ricosuave
07-15-2008, 08:47 PM
^ you also need the insurance co's permission to do this, most will, but you dont want to surprise them with an accident - just give em a heads up that this is happening

Canmorite
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The car was delivered to my place instead. :thumbsup: