PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Learn Guitar

em2ab
07-15-2008, 11:46 PM
I just picked up an acoustic guitar my friend had lying around for a few years, it says Turino on it, not sure if that's good. And it's got an electric tuner but I have no idea how to use it......I'm just going to learn the chords first and then tune it later, who cares right?

So the first song I've chosen to learn is "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You" by Hootie And The Blowfish, one of my favourite bands. It's pretty simple because it's just a few chords being plucked over and over, the chord list is actually here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/h/hootie_and_the_blowfish/i_hope_that_i_dont_fall_in_love_with_you_crd.htm) . The issue I'm having is that it tells me to play in C but I have no idea which chords I'm supposed to be plucking......am I missing something when reading the chords? In the song it's a single string at a time with 3 or 4 of them played in C but I don't know which ones. Any ideas how I can figure that out? Thanks.

ajooo
07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
thing with plucking is, you sorta have to hear the guitar in the song and hear the order it goes.

also, if you can find, on ultimate guitar, the tabs instead of the chords. could be someone easier.

three.eighteen.
07-16-2008, 12:16 AM
it definitely needs to be in some semblance of proper tuning for the chords to sound right

em2ab
07-16-2008, 10:41 AM
All the websites I visit are the same whether they have the chords or the tab, what's the difference?

Nufy
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Tabs show you where to put your fingers....

JMaj7
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Try to tune it. Your sixth string (the top one, counting from the bottom) is supposed to be tuned to E. The only way to tell whether you're at the right octave (high E or low E; considering I have to fit this into a brief post) is by checking to see how tight the string is getting (if you go online and search for guitar tuning on youtube and manage to match the notes then you won't even need your tuner). If it gets too tight, you're probably going for the next octave and you might break the string. You should tune it to the nearest note in this order.
E A D G B E

kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UUqR-NIsk

You see how the first string is an E as well?
That E is supposed to be 2 octaves higher than your low E(top string).

Once you tune it, the chords will make more sense to you. You should listen for the mood or voicing of all the chords you play so you can start developing an ear for them. That's why tuning is important.

Just pluck each string and match the notes. Notes only go from A to G, with b(symbol for flats) and #(symbol for sharps). Notes E and B dont have sharps just as F and C dont have flats (its two ways to say the same thing, think piano, you know where it skips the black keys?).

The point is that if you see your tuner showing C#, you only want it to go up to a D, which is a half step away. (4th string is D).

Hope this helps.

mark4091
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Download power tab, best free software and sometimes has more 5 star tabs then guitar pro.

Good to start acoustic, makes you're hands stronger.

em2ab
07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
Try to tune it. Your sixth string (the top one, counting from the bottom) is supposed to be tuned to E. The only way to tell whether you're at the right octave (high E or low E; considering I have to fit this into a brief post) is by checking to see how tight the string is getting (if you go online and search for guitar tuning on youtube and manage to match the notes then you won't even need your tuner). If it gets too tight, you're probably going for the next octave and you might break the string. You should tune it to the nearest note in this order.
E A D G B E

kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UUqR-NIsk

You see how the first string is an E as well?
That E is supposed to be 2 octaves higher than your low E(top string).

Once you tune it, the chords will make more sense to you. You should listen for the mood or voicing of all the chords you play so you can start developing an ear for them. That's why tuning is important.

Just pluck each string and match the notes. Notes only go from A to G, with b(symbol for flats) and #(symbol for sharps). Notes E and B dont have sharps just as F and C dont have flats (its two ways to say the same thing, think piano, you know where it skips the black keys?).

The point is that if you see your tuner showing C#, you only want it to go up to a D, which is a half step away. (4th string is D).

Hope this helps.

This helped a lot, thanks. I tuned my guitar with a Cort Auto Chromatic Tuner E410 which has the notes listed as follows:
C - D - E F - G - A - B
When I tune the guitar it is as follows:
top string - the line between D and E. I don't know how to get it over to E.
next one down - A
next - The line between C and D
next - G
next - B
bottom - E

And there's a meter for how flat/sharp the note is, I got all of them pretty well in the middle, I just can't get those 2 strings off the lines. Do I have to keep tightening it or something?

em2ab
07-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Wait a minute, are all 6 strings supposed to be the same? 3 of the low sounding strings are ribbed meaning if I run my nail on them, it makes a scratching noise. The 3 higher pitched strings are a more silver colour and are just smooth. Is that right?

JMaj7
07-19-2008, 03:56 PM
it sounds like your sixth string is a bit flat. Tighten it slightly. It should (hopefully) reach E. You should be able to hear the pitch change slightly. I'm not sure what you mean by same dude. The texture of the top three us different from the texture of the bottom three (they are all different gauges). The first string and the sixth are only the same note, although the pitch of the first string is alot higher then the 6th string. Ur 4th string is flat too btw. Good luck

Typed on an iPhone sorry!!

JMaj7
07-19-2008, 03:58 PM
oh wait I read ur post again...yes it is right
:)

three.eighteen.
07-19-2008, 05:56 PM
edgar ate dynamite good bye edgar?