PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia?

Crymson
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Who's been? I'm going in August to Jakarta. Good times?

GTi-RS
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I am wondering about the safety there too.

I have traveled extensively but know little about Indonesia too.

My only help is that my other half has Indonesian backround.

Hope someone can chime in with more info.

Crymson
07-22-2008, 10:04 AM
No one been there?

badatusrnames
07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I've heard that Malaysia is a blast...

rinny
07-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Since no one here can help, you may want to check out
www.lonelyplanet.com

It has a forum- Thorn Tree forum that has plenty of info for any place you go...

kaishen
07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
never been to indonesia so cant help u. heard that rush hour jams can be pretty bad. i do know an indonesian couple so if you need any info, i can prob check with them.

familiar with malaysia though. just checked my passport, been there 10 times since december. haha

kaishen
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
oh yah if you manage to pop by Singapore in late sept, there's f1 downtown city racing.

http://www.singaporegp.sg/track_info.html

tickets are expensive though

badatusrnames
07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by kaishen

familiar with malaysia though. just checked my passport, been there 10 times since december. haha

Easy for you to do - you just have to cross a bridge (or a causeway)!

Crymson
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, I this case, i'll document my trip for Beyond, and provide updates once i move there.

My hotel seems ridiculously pimp

http://www.the-dharmawangsa.com/

I was going to fly through singapore and spend a night there, but i think we're goign to go through HK now.

CSMRX7
07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Well, I this case, i'll document my trip for Beyond, and provide updates once i move there.

My hotel seems ridiculously pimp

http://www.the-dharmawangsa.com/

I was going to fly through singapore and spend a night there, but i think we're goign to go through HK now.

Hey Tim,

I have been to Indonesia a few times. Are you going for work. I heard you may be moving to SE Asia?

Anyways, Jakarta is safe if you stay in the Golden Triangle area.

Always take blue bird or black bird cabs. They are a bit more $$$ but are safe. Don't walk outside at night alone in the areas outesde the triangle.

It is a cool city and the Javanese are very hospitable and friendly you should have a great time. If you get a chance you should get out of Jakarta.

If you want to make day trips, Thousand Islands and Bangdun are great ones.

Prambanan should not be missed. It is amazing!! But it is about 500km from Jakarta. Also a weekend in Bali would be great as the culture is completely different.

Everyone worries about terrorism, but there is a lot fo security in Indonesia now.

CSMRX7
07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Also if you have a choice on hotels stay at the Gran Mulia it is a seriously nice hotel.. Nicest I have stayed in!!

kaishen
07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
haha yeah! recently its been really bad jam at the causeway though. was on the way there last sat but there was a really bad jam, so my gf and i decided to just remain in Singapore and we ended up shopping at a mall nearby. haha

aram1000
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Was just in Indonesia in May. Personally, i thought Jakarta was a waste of time, didn't think there was too much there. If you can, check out Yogikarta, really cool city and some cool tours you can take out of there. Bali is a must, such a beautiful place, also if you can, check out borabodeur, i think thats how its spelt, anyways its the Buddhist temple ruins and its just amazing, so beautiful. Everything there is pretty cheap, blue bird cabs are the best, and its pretty safe. The Indonesian people are very nice. Also if you can make the trek, checking out the sunrise from Mount Bromo is a must, the sulpher smell sucks, but its totally worth it.

Crymson
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

Hey Tim,

I have been to Indonesia a few times. Are you going for work. I heard you may be moving to SE Asia?

Always take blue bird or black bird cabs. They are a bit more $$$ but are safe. Don't walk outside at night alone in the areas outesde the triangle.

It is a cool city and the Javanese are very hospitable and friendly you should have a great time. If you get a chance you should get out of Jakarta.

Prambanan should not be missed. It is amazing!! But it is about 500km from Jakarta. Also a weekend in Bali would be great as the culture is completely different.

Everyone worries about terrorism, but there is a lot fo security in Indonesia now.

Sweet, thanks Jason. I didn't know you'd been there, i thought you were just in and out of Malaysia and Australia. Give me a shout. I pm'd you my work number.

Our office, i believe, is in south jakarta, near or in Kemang, which sounds like a nice area of the city to be in. I'm not looking for apartments and such yet, as it'll be a while till i get my work Visa all sorted out.

n1zm0
07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
indonesia is probably the cheapest in that area (very nice woodwork from Indonesia my parents bought all the furnishings for their condo in Penang in J'krta, look for TEAK wood crafts if you buy stuff like that), it's funny cause my aunt was telling me when i was in M'sia that

S'poreans goto M'sia to shop cause it's cheaper

M'sians goto Indonesia or Philippines cause it's cheaper

Indonesians shop in Indonesia cause.. well ya..

No offence to Indonesians, it's just super cheap there
($1 CDN = 9 Indo rupiah)
($1 CDN = 3 M'sian ringgit)

well super cheap anywhere in S.E compared to North America with a few exceptions like S'pore and HK(not really S.E asia but w/e)

TKRIS
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
My brother in law just got the posted to Jakarta as a Trade Commisioner for DFAIT.
I'm told there's a lot of sketchy shit there, but as long as you stay where you're supposed to stay it's fine. Being such a main corridor for trade, I think it's pretty culturally diverse.

n1zm0
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Being such a main corridor for trade, I think it's pretty culturally diverse.

It may have been 10 years ago or so but there may be still some resentment towards ethnic Chinese there, there is a long history of chinese persecution in Indonesia, but i'm sure there are alot of foreigners working there who don't have any problems.

An example was in 2000, i went to Indonesia while visiting family in M'sia and my cousins friend (as chinese looking as it gets, but he is only half) came along for the week, in Jakarta, he was pretty much invisible, people would not take his order for food and otherwise looked down on him, at one point a shopkeeper told him 'he doesn't serve dogs'.

Suharto waged his mini political 'holocaust' on the chinese there, i'm glad he's gone.

sry to ruin your thread but alot of bad shit happened to family friends who lived in Indonesia during the 98 riots and before that.
It's 2008 with a new leader, this rant doesn't apply to how Indonesia really is, it's a beautiful country (islands especially, you'll want to get into scuba diving for sures)

Crymson
08-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, I made it.

Took abut 30hrs total. I was blessed be being able to fly business class on Singapore Airlines over the pacific. That made it bearable, otherwise i probably would have lot my mind on that flight.

Must sleep.

Baron O' Funk
09-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

Hey Tim,

Word, the Amans are great hotels as well. If you get a chance check out Boraburdur (spelling?) in the interior, one of the seven man made wonders. Rediculous.

kaishen
09-02-2008, 07:05 AM
pirated dvds cost $0.60cad there.

my friend was born there and he's chinese.
in order to hide his ethnicity, he added a few more alphabets to make it look un-chinese

if you are in Singapore, prob we can meet up!
met a few beyonders that are in Singapore =)

kaishen
09-02-2008, 07:28 AM
if you r thinking of gg thailand, u might wanna shelf it to a later date

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20080902/tap-242-singaporeans-advised-postpone-tr-231650b.html