PDA

View Full Version : "Alas, Z/28, we hardly knew ye"

Supa Dexta
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/z28_nevermind.jpg

Originally Posted by Autoblog.com
The all-new Camaro we've been waiting on for two years is just a few days from showing its production face, and we've already got some bad news. The General has dumped plans for the Z28. The highly anticipated Camaro variant was rumored to feature the same supercharged 6.2L engine that powers the brawny Cadillac CTS-V with well over 500 ponies. Without the Z28 in the picture, the still powerful SS edition will be the range-topper for now, and we're expecting power to be just under that of the base Corvette's 436 hp.

While this is certainly bad news for Camaro enthusiasts, it does make sense in the face of $4.25 per gallon gas to cancel a supercharged monster that's likely to be eligible for a hefty gas guzzler tax. What doesn't make sense is canceling the Z28 moniker when it means much more to Camaro fans than SS ever will. There goes the aftermarket for louvers and mullet wigs.

b_t
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
What I'm not understanding here is why the Z28 was going to be the big power model, whereas the SS has always had the biggest motors and the highest horsepower numbers and the Z28 had a smaller, lighter engine with more of an emphasis on handling.
I'm inclined to think the Z28 never really existed in the first place.

calgary350z
07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah I agree since that has always been the case with Camaros in the past from what I remember....my Dad has always been a muscle car guy. Usually a SS had the big motors such as the 396, 427, or 454 and the Z28's where 327's that reved higher and where small blocks to save on weight.

MoDo27
07-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by b_t
What I'm not understanding here is why the Z28 was going to be the big power model, whereas the SS has always had the biggest motors and the highest horsepower numbers and the Z28 had a smaller, lighter engine with more of an emphasis on handling.
I'm inclined to think the Z28 never really existed in the first place.

Simply because of the Z moniker these days. Z06, ZR1, Z28..all the top dawgz..

Joe public doesn't know (or remember) when to race SCCA you could only have 5.0L of displacement in your production car.

MoDo27
07-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by calgary350z
yeah I agree since that has always been the case with Camaros in the past from what I remember....my Dad has always been a muscle car guy. Usually a SS had the big motors such as the 396, 427, or 454 and the Z28's where 327's that reved higher and where small blocks to save on weight.
They were 302's, 327 block w/ 283 crank.

4.00" bore, 3.00" stroke