PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance for extended trips.

Ben
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey gang, just looking for some info in regards to travel/medical insurance for long duration trips. There are lots that cover up to a one month length (My AmEx covers me for 31 days) but I'm looking for policies that cover upwards of a year. There are a lot through most major banks/AMA etc but again, usually not more than a month in trip length or you get owned on fees etc, but I know there are specialty underwriters for extended time periods. Anyone have any experience on this matter?

Thanks.

TYMSMNY
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Try your insurance company. Mine offers $/day kind of situation.

kaput
07-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Ben
07-18-2008, 06:09 PM
yeah, I checked with TD which I have my cars through, max is 182 days but only $480, so I guess I could renew it after 6 months perhaps. Anymore advice would be sweeeeet.

DJ_NAV
07-18-2008, 06:17 PM
travel insurance is probably the biggest scam ever...

Jlude
07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I know when I left for the states... RBC had a package that was pretty cheap. I can't remember all the details.. I know it was pretty damn cheap though.

jdmakkord
07-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
travel insurance is probably the biggest scam ever...

Till you break a limb or get an infection that hospitalizes you overseas. Car insurance is a scam too, but we all have it.

Eken9
07-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Till you break a limb or get an infection that hospitalizes you overseas. Car insurance is a scam too, but we all have it.

No doubt, my friend and her friend went down there. Her friend got sick as expletive. Good thing she had travel insurance. Had to stay at the hospital which PASSED her flight date. A flight and medical bills were paid by insurance. Medical bill was about $2000.00. With the flight coming back in business $1200.00 give or take.

And it's like what, $15.75 fo medical? lol

88jbody
07-18-2008, 07:52 PM
well worth it IMO.
better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

FreakinPrince
07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I believe cibc gives annual travel insurence. I am pretty sure all banks does... Will have to double check that

Davetronz
07-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I picked up Johnson Travel Insurance from Community Savings... I was just gone a week but I know they do longer insurance coverage.

davidI
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ben
yeah, I checked with TD which I have my cars through, max is 182 days but only $480, so I guess I could renew it after 6 months perhaps. Anymore advice would be sweeeeet.

Usually you cannot get insurance (or renew) when you're overseas. Unless you're going back home, it would be best to get a 1 year policy right from the start. I personally do not have experience with travel insurance as I'm covered by my company, btu I'm interested to hear what you end up with as I'm looking at taking a year off to travel around the world at some point.

DJ_NAV
07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
what are the chances of you getting yourself into something bad while on vacation? I have travelled to voer 50 countries including crazy party places like mexico and europe. You just gotta be careful. You could get sick or injured in canada too...

davidI
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
what are the chances of you getting yourself into something bad while on vacation? I have travelled to voer 50 countries including crazy party places like mexico and europe. You just gotta be careful. You could get sick or injured in canada too...

I've traveled extensively and never had a problem either. But, I met a nice, young girl who had a problem with her spine while on tour. I don't know the exact medical terms for it, but the padding between her vertabrae had worn down so her legs were going numb and she was getting severe migraines. In the end, she had to be flown from Jordan back to Australia in business class for surgery (the doctors told her she couldn't sit for that long without causing further damage). $14k round trip ticket covered by her insurance. She was otherwise healthy and it was a fluke it happened while she was on her 2 week trip, but ya never know!

Ben
07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by davidI

I've traveled extensively and never had a problem either. But, I met a nice, young girl who had a problem with her spine while on tour. I don't know the exact medical terms for it, but the padding between her vertabrae had worn down so her legs were going numb and she was getting severe migraines. In the end, she had to be flown from Jordan back to Australia in business class for surgery (the doctors told her she couldn't sit for that long without causing further damage). $14k round trip ticket covered by her insurance. She was otherwise healthy and it was a fluke it happened while she was on her 2 week trip, but ya never know!

Word, I too have never needed to rely on my insurance, however it's one of those things that I know the time I don't have it, I'll need it. I'll be doing a lot more dangerous things such as cliff/sky/shark/scuba diving, and buggering around volcanoes and such, plus in places like Fiji, Samoa, Tahiti, Cook Islands, Bali, and Solomon Islands where driving is a little more "Spirited" I don't want to be left bloodied and broken on the side of the road so to speak.

Ben
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Any final ideas?

Kobe
10-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Bump.. Any good companies now a days that will cover me for 2 - 5 months?

kaput
10-07-2015, 07:00 PM

trieu
10-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Alberta Blue Cross will cover you for 9 months at a time.

Dumbass17
10-07-2015, 09:39 PM
I used insure4less.com and had to get stitches. Covered my ass and would use them again

Kobe
10-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by kaput
http://www.worldnomads.com/

Thanks, this is pretty expensive though..

Originally posted by trieu
Alberta Blue Cross will cover you for 9 months at a time.

Pretty cheap and had no idea they even did travel insurance, will most likely use them..

Originally posted by Dumbass17
I used insure4less.com and had to get stitches. Covered my ass and would use them again

This seems like US only?

kaput
10-08-2015, 12:12 AM

Dumbass17
10-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Thanks, this is pretty expensive though..

Pretty cheap and had no idea they even did travel insurance, will most likely use them..

This seems like US only?
I used them when I was 'living' in Australia and was coming back to Canada for a visit. Maybe it's only departing Aus. Sorry