PDA

View Full Version : Check your tires...

johnnycqle
07-18-2008, 04:28 PM
not sure if this is a repost, anyways it's good to know..

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

schocker
07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
the only number i could find on mine is 05 82:nut:

snowboard
07-18-2008, 04:41 PM
"leading rod more, to a troubling discovery about tires sold in this country"

JordanAndrew
07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
hmm I'll check my tires on my brand new car now. Makes me wonder for sure.

Gibson
07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Wow, that's pretty scary. I'll have to go check that soon.

megavolt
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Hmm... out of all my tires I could only find one recognizable code on any of them. One set of my tires had 3806... so I guess they're good. But all the other DOT numbers were not in that format.

iblizzard
07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Wow.
That's eye opening.
I'm curious to see how old the tires on my new car are... and next time I'm bored, I'll make a point to check some at wal-mart/canadian tire, etc.

Kennyredline
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
'Cause there aren't enough things to worry about when you're driving...lol

rice_balls
07-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Hmmm... better check my tires. Thanks for the vid, keeps our eyes open.

D. Dub
07-19-2008, 09:47 AM
How much of that concern is really warranted though? ABC news is not exactly known for good journalism they're as bad as Fox.

Watch the video again carefully this time. They really showed no strong evidence that there is a real issue here. :bullshit:

The evidence they supposedly had was a lawyer with a $$$ interest in a lawsuit and a self proclaimed car tire expert from a "private auto safety research firm" and a memo from Britain ---really far from conclusive.

They also showed highway tractor retreads on the highway as evidence for crissake!

The US rubber industry spokesperson they interviewed says that there is no scientific evidence to prove this theory.

Lots of tires fail -- new or old I want to see REAL PROOF before I'm gonna fret about my tires.

UndrgroundRider
07-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
How much of that concern is really warranted though? ABC news is not exactly known for good journalism they're as bad as Fox.

Watch the video again carefully this time. They really showed no strong evidence that there is a real issue here. :bullshit:

The evidence they supposedly had was a lawyer with a $$$ interest in a lawsuit and a self proclaimed car tire expert from a "private auto safety research firm" and a memo from Britain ---really far from conclusive.

They also showed highway tractor retreads on the highway as evidence for crissake!

The US rubber industry spokesperson they interviewed says that there is no scientific evidence to prove this theory.

Lots of tires fail -- new or old I want to see REAL PROOF before I'm gonna fret about my tires.

Just what I was thinking. It seems too rare of an occurrence to be as much of an issue as they made it out to be. And the video they showed of the test vehicle was for a tire blowout, not a tread separation.

I think more than anything the issue isn't how old the tire is, but how it was stored. It has long been known that you will ruin tires if they are not stored at the proper temperature and at the proper humidity.

There's definitely some Michael Moore style "reporting" going on.

old&slow
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll believe the Europeans and not use old tires!

rpalm35
07-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Seems Scary!!

however my brother had a Skyline that came with original tires.. They seemed fine for the few weeks he had them on before swapping wheels...

On another note.. I can't find the number on my Altima, and i'm definatly not going to lift my car up just so i can look on the inside to see the number..

But my Truck has (3406) tires so its all good! If I'm not mistaken, i picked the tires up pretty close to the 34th week in 2006!!

Costco tires FTW!!

cloud7
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I always look for that number when I a purchasing race tires.

Senseiz
07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I have always been on the look out for manufacturers date. When paying for a new tire price - I definitely dont want something 4 years old.

+1 for the heads up

mark4091
07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I suppose it's a good thing to know so people don't buy old tires at new prices anyways.